Firmware "update": Is this thing safe to fly or what?

This has to be one of the most impressively aggressive and long rants from a user without having experienced any problem I have ever read.

I can't recall someone crashing post upgrade (I may have missed it so that's not definitive). A subset of users have had VPS issues or reported it's not quite as stable as before. Both things are non terminal generally speaking and better than sitting in the case.

You're wrong. It is very significant. Ultrasonic/VPS issues, vertical drifting, toilet bowling and instability following a DJI firmware update is a major problem. Having to ground a $1,500 quad due to a premature software update that the DJI pilot app keeps flashing until you update is unacceptable from a multi-billion dollar company. I am supposed to shoot my friend's wedding on Saturday and now can't because it is dangerous. DJI should at the VERY LEAST allow users to revert the firmware. If there are this many people posting about it on forums, you better believe an incrementally higher amount of people have called it in to DJI. So now, DJI knows about a major unsafe bug in their firmware and have done nothing. This is putting people's quads in danger, and more seriously other people's property by having tens of thousands of Phantom 3's flying erratically until they fix their mistake.

Reactions: Stephan and AbsPapa
No .. you read of a few people with relatively minor issues.
Most users are happily flying. The sky is not falling.
Here's a pic I shot 2.5 km offshore an hour after doing the firmware update.
DJI_0935a-XL.jpg
Wow ballz of steel you got there....

Maybe that's because you are writing and don't have your phantom yet. I am a very experienced drone pilot and firmware 1.1.9 is NOT safe to fly. It's problems include Ultrasonic Systems Errors (VPS) and erratic vertical drifting. I have experienced some toilet bowling as well. This was 100% caused by the most recent firmware update. The fact that not everyone has experienced it after the update is great. But when significant numbers of people (many experienced pilots) report the same exact problem days, not weeks, after a new firmware update, suggesting user error is a bit idiotic.
Probably a typo 1.1.9 was the version before the current 1.2.6

Probably a typo 1.1.9 was the version before the current 1.2.6

Indeed a typo. Thank you. I was referring to the 1.2.6 June 15 firmware. I continued to shoot after experiencing "Ultrasonic System Error: Please Land as Soon as Possible." I shot and edited this yesterday. It's definitely worth a look. It's flying over La Jolla Cove. As I said, I am an experienced pilot.

Today, it was way too unstable. I have tried various IMU and Compass calibrations. New props, etc. I have the tough decision of waiting around for DJI to fix the problem that clearly many people are having, not a small subset as others have mentioned, or sending it in for 6 weeks. As you can see from the video and the type of work I do, that's just not an option.

I'm 3 flights in since newest firmware on P3P.. No abnormal behavior..
I've been recalibrating sticks, and compass before every flight. I always make sure I have GPS, and continue to monitor all my settings regarding limits and RTH settings.
Admittedly, I haven't really tested it's limits yet. I fly in a safe area, never lose visual sight, and have gone max 500 ft away and 150ft up....

I'm in love until it betrays me.

Reactions: Steve Moore
Maybe that's because you are writing and don't have your phantom yet. I am a very experienced drone pilot and firmware 1.1.9 is NOT safe to fly. It's problems include Ultrasonic Systems Errors (VPS) and erratic vertical drifting. I have experienced some toilet bowling as well. This was 100% caused by the most recent firmware update. The fact that not everyone has experienced it after the update is great. But when significant numbers of people (many experienced pilots) report the same exact problem days, not weeks, after a new firmware update, suggesting user error is a bit idiotic.
Well said.

I don't think anyone on this forum has the answer. Obviously DJI monitors the activity here daily and there are forum members that work directly for DJI. It would be of benefit to reset the air craft to accept the former version of the firmware and I know that has been mentioned, however, there is no movement in that direction that I can see. The are very experienced Phantom pilots who are having no issues and some as you that are having issues-- hope there is some relief from DJI offered soon in the way of a reset or FW upgrade that will resolve these issues some are experiencing. Sorry for your issues-- I don't have them -- still on 1.1.9 thankfully.

Reactions: LShap421
My update went well also. I posted a YouTube video on my channel showing my stability and Pilot App test after the firmware and Pilot App upgrade. Channel is TWorldTV. Not an exciting video (thankfully), but did hover tests, telemetry tests, rotations, etc. All went well and had continued to go well after my upgrade. I performed the tests to see how my bird would react to the update. I kept it lower to the ground, and in a secluded area in case there was a mishap. Enjoy. Not a plug for my video, just a suggestion that everyone do the same if you're scared to fly your quad after an upgrade.

Indeed a typo. Thank you. I was referring to the 1.2.6 June 15 firmware. I continued to shoot after experiencing "Ultrasonic System Error: Please Land as Soon as Possible." I shot and edited this yesterday. It's definitely worth a look. It's flying over La Jolla Cove. As I said, I am an experienced pilot.

Today, it was way too unstable. I have tried various IMU and Compass calibrations. New props, etc. I have the tough decision of waiting around for DJI to fix the problem that clearly many people are having, not a small subset as others have mentioned, or sending it in for 6 weeks. As you can see from the video and the type of work I do, that's just not an option.
I ended up sending mine in to DJI LA yesterday for repairs at their suggestion. After a lot of complaining, calling tech support in China and LA, researching several online support groups, I boxed it up and sent it in. I am totally disappointed with my purchase. But there are more important things to be concerned with in life than this toy not working. Who knows why some work and some don't? Some folks whole lives revolve around their Phantom and how well it works. I too was quite impressed with mine for the first 15 flights. Then I updated and it became to unpredictable for a novice like myself to tolerate. Who knows if it will be fixed when I get it back? DJI seems to have a history of some do and some don't. I don't think anyone has gotten their P3 back from service yet. All I do know is if you buy an invention, you expect it to work as advertised. If it doesn't, how can one be expected to be satisfied?

Reactions: Stephan
I don't think anyone on this forum has the answer. Obviously DJI monitors the activity here daily and there are forum members that work directly for DJI. It would be of benefit to reset the air craft to accept the former version of the firmware and I know that has been mentioned, however, there is no movement in that direction that I can see. The are very experienced Phantom pilots who are having no issues and some as you that are having issues-- hope there is some relief from DJI offered soon in the way of a reset or FW upgrade that will resolve these issues some are experiencing. Sorry for your issues-- I don't have them -- still on 1.1.9 thankfully.
You think it would behoove DJI to come out with some sort of a public bulletin for those of us having a bad experience with their product i.e. P3P Firmware update.

To consider a handfull of people to be "significant numbers" is nothing but errogant. And complete BS. If YOU have issues making YOUR bird unsafe to fly the so be it. But to say YOUR issue should ground them all.... well. You dont need me to tell you what that is! A handfull of thousands, at least, have been sold. Less than 1% have shown issues here.

Globally unsafe.. BS
Is there an issue that should be addressed.. absolutely! Is it wrong to tell new pilots to expect some drifting? Absolutely not. But educate.. dont try to fear monger them into never flying.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You're wrong. It is very significant. Ultrasonic/VPS issues, vertical drifting, toilet bowling and instability following a DJI firmware update is a major problem. Having to ground a $1,500 quad due to a premature software update that the DJI pilot app keeps flashing until you update is unacceptable from a multi-billion dollar company. I am supposed to shoot my friend's wedding on Saturday and now can't because it is dangerous. DJI should at the VERY LEAST allow users to revert the firmware. If there are this many people posting about it on forums, you better believe an incrementally higher amount of people have called it in to DJI. So now, DJI knows about a major unsafe bug in their firmware and have done nothing. This is putting people's quads in danger, and more seriously other people's property by having tens of thousands of Phantom 3's flying erratically until they fix their mistake.
Are YOU actually having these issues? If so then im sorry you arent happy. But i will be out shooting with mine, along with a lot of other people because we DONT have issues. If your simply affraid to fly because of someone else then you have further proven my point.

Reactions: TWorldTV and snerd
To consider a handfull of people to be "significant numbers" is nothing but errogant. And complete BS. If YOU have issues making YOUR bird unsafe to fly the so be it. But to say YOUR issue should ground them all.... well. You dont need me to tell you what that is! A handfull of thousands, at least, have been sold. Less than 1% have shown issues here.

Globally unsafe.. BS
Is there an issue that should be addressed.. absolutely! Is it wrong to tell new pilots to expect some drifting? Absolutely not. But educate.. dont try to fear monger them into never flying.

Steve Moore you are the one that is spreading BS. These things are flown around family members and out in the public. If even a few are flying erratically that's to many. They are supposed to work when you open the box. They sell them to anybody. You don't have to pass a test to fly one or have any experience. A few have already had accidents.

Steve Moore you are the one that is spreading BS. These things are flown around family members and out in the public. If even a few are flying erratically that's to many. They are supposed to work when you open the box. They sell them to anybody. You don't have to pass a test to fly one or have any experience. A few have already had accidents.
Kinda like cars. But the world doesnt work that way. Just because one has an issue in no way means they all do.

Car's get recalled when they are unsafe.
You obviously didn't think about that before I led you to it! Yes, cars are recalled. But of the hundreds of thousands of Toyota's involved in the random throttle recall, what percentage were instantly taken off the road until a solution was found? How many never were repaired but are still on the road. Recalls are FAR more significant, but NONE remove all vehicles from use. NONE are required to be acted on by the owners. So why is a random issue in a few people Phantoms so **** much more important that the entire fleet should be grounded?

And again.. I never said there isn't an issue. I never said that DJI shouldn't find a solution, or at least a cause. I, and everyone else with half a lick of sense simply said fly safely. For that matter.. we have been using RC heli's as camera platforms for a LONG time. They don't have ANYTHING to provide stability beyond the pilot. So in that, the Phantom WITH issues is like flying a Bentley compared to flying one of those rigs. So stop trying to scare everyone.

I've yet to receive mine it's today hopefully

As its new what firmware do you think it will have on it and more importantly should I leave it as it is?

Is the update mandatory to work with the DJ apps?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik