FAA and height limits

Reaction score
I'm sure if the FAA wanted to they could force Dji and other makes to make it so there is no way to fly these above 400 or 500' whatever their suggestion is not law but suggestion. They make it so you can't fly in some cities right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They have no fly zones and a maximum height limit. And the 400ft limit is more than just a "suggestion".

Reactions: BigAl07
Didn't want to start a new post. Hope folks see this and can provide factual info vs. opinion. Here goes...

This morning I performed a demonstration for the security team at a private corporation. I was within 5 miles of a major airport. Notifications were made to the authorities prior to flight. I also "unlocked" using DJI GEO last night. I am on the most recent versions of all firmware/software. I had 14 satellites, all systems and parameters were normal.

At about 2 miles away from the center of the known authorization zone, I was expecting that the P3P would hit a maximum altitude of 60ft or so due to proximity to this major airport and it's class b airspace. I was able to fly to 250 feet no problem. Did not try to find a hard limit on altitude though.

According to documentation, and the "Cone Diagram" from DJI, I should not be able to hit 400 feet until I was right at the 5 mile limit of the circle.
At 1.5 miles, I should not be allowed to increase altitude past 35 feet AGL. I was near 2 miles, maybe a bit less, and at 250. Concerning.

Thoughts/Feedback much appreciated on this, thanks!

Yeah - two miles away and 250 feet altitude seems too high. But OTOH you self-certified for that airport. So does the self-certification clear you to fly beyond the height limits? I don't know how that works. I am still on the previous generation with my little P2V.

If you are using GEO, there is no cone. It's a cylinder and if you unlocked it, then you will not be restricted any more than normal.

If you are using GEO, there is no cone. It's a cylinder and if you unlocked it, then you will not be restricted any more than normal.

Thanks. Wish I could've <clearly> found that info for myself. If not too much trouble, can you point me to any formal documentation that states this?
Appreciate your reply Ian.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl