Dual Battery Mod

You can make these...really easy but takes time
d4bdc8c7a2ace729bfb7e066eef40888.jpg
a5eb14307965337d61acf461d574c9f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I couldnt fork out the $50 for it knowing it cost $1.25 to make

I made a flight with a 4s 3Ah Lipo charged to 4.10 each cell, connected with my diy connector. I landed after 14min with 20% left in the stock battery. The extra Lipo measured between 4.00 and 4.05 each cell upon landing. What could be the reason that the aircraft had drawn so little power from the extra battery?

All wires are thick to lower resistance, including the copper sheat connector mod.

In this case the extra battery was only dead weight that shortened the flight.

Attachments

• 20161022_174926.jpg
    20161022_174926.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 383
I made a flight with a 4s 3Ah Lipo charged to 4.10 each cell, connected with my diy connector. I landed after 14min with 20% left in the stock battery. The extra Lipo measured between 4.00 and 4.05 each cell upon landing. What could be the reason that the aircraft had drawn so little power from the extra battery? All wires are thick to lower resistance, including the copper sheat connector mod. In this case the extra battery was only dead weight that shortened the flight.

I would think either the battery had too low of a discharge rating (less than 10c = bad for phantom, which we've seen on some batteries), or the connector was coming loose. If the connector was powering properly it should have dropped volts down significantly, i'd bet that a connection came loose inflight and it stopped powering from the external.

Do a test .. hookup everything like you are ready for a flight. Then, turn off the DJI stock battery, but leave the external plugged in. Does the phantom power off? If yes, you have bad connection.

I would think either the battery had too low of a discharge rating (less than 10c = bad for phantom, which we've seen on some batteries), or the connector was coming loose. If the connector was powering properly it should have dropped volts down significantly, i'd bet that a connection came loose inflight and it stopped powering from the external.

Do a test .. hookup everything like you are ready for a flight. Then, turn off the DJI stock battery, but leave the external plugged in. Does the phantom power off? If yes, you have bad connection.
I powered up the aircraft with the almost fully discharged battery, about 3.72V each cell in the Dji app. Then connected my 4s 20-30C 3Ah Turnigy. Voltage in the app rose to about 3.79 each cell. It was not possible to turn the aircraft off with the external battery connected. When I disconnected the external, voltage fell to the original 3.72 in the stock battery.

I powered up the aircraft with the almost fully discharged battery, about 3.72V each cell in the Dji app. Then connected my 4s 20-30C 3Ah Turnigy. Voltage in the app rose to about 3.79 each cell. It was not possible to turn the aircraft off with the external battery connected. When I disconnected the external, voltage fell to the original 3.72 in the stock battery.

Can you clarify on "It was not possible to turn the aircraft off with the external battery connected." ? are you saying you turned off the stock battery and aircraft stayed on with the external connected? (If so, thats a good thing). Should be like htis

To the part about volts jumping, I'm wondering if its a bad ground. I did a test, i took both a fullly charged battery and a battery with only 10% left, powered on the Phantom with each and then hooked in both a fully charged LIHV, as well as a nearly dead Lipo. Neither of them showed a voltage change in the app. I'm wondering if your ground is bad, i dont think it should do that.

I couldnt fork out the $50 for it knowing it cost $1.25 to make

Not saying the home made one won't work as well but there may be more to it then meets the eye...
Here's what the guy that makes the original said in a previous post or at least I believe its the guy that makes them as it was posted right after I talked to him in an email...He asked me where I heard about the adapter from and I shared a link to this thread...
Dual Battery Mod

"No its not simple to make as it has a protection circuit build into the connector"

I haven't proven this to be true or false and I never will...I was happy to pay the $40...

Last edited:
Finally went for it and ordered a battery mod setup for the p3p. I read through the dual battery thread, but I only skimmed through it since I do not know much about currents and batteries overall. My aim is to extend my phantom's flight time, so thank you to all who responded to my questions,and just everyone in general for contributing their research on this forum, but just to get it straight, can anyone else give me tips before I strap it all together?

I plan to:
1. Turn on the phantom
2. Connect the multistar battery
3. Lift off fast to prevent it from tipping over
4. Fly with caution because abrupt braking or a sudden change of direction is apparently dangerous.
5. .. and have fun.

Is there anything else I'm missing before I go through with this?

Got this viewproduct | Accucell S60 AC Charger (US Plug)
And this: Multistar LiHV High Capacity 5200Mah 4S Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack (US Warehouse)
With this:DJI phantom 3 Phantom 2 Easy battery mods adaptor on Strikingly

I plan to strap it first with silicone self fusing tape before I go for a more permanent solution. Also, some fasteners(scotch hook loop 10lb rated) will most likely be added.
Is that battery and the charger that I got just plug and charge, or do I have to fiddle with the settings to change the charge compatibility for the p3p battery mod?

You got a good battery, and a good battery charger. You will want to make sure that your battery charger is set to LIHV, but otherwise should be good. For DJ go settings, kinda dealers choice but i have battery warning at 15% and critical at 10%.

On step 3, its really not that bad. Make sure you are taking off from even ground, but do give it some GO when you get started. I have never come close to tipping over on take-off. For #4 above, you can lower the airbreak value to <100% and it will help. I have mine set at 70% and love it, it does help with the heavier batteries. But, sometimes stuff happens and its inevitable (this was full stop, 0% battery left):

You may wanna skip the silicone tape, just go straight to the scotch hook loop, like this: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B00PX0R8W0

Go slow. Don't go 50k feet on your first flight, you may not make it back. Go slow, and get used to what its like to be 5+ miles away. Watch your speed, know when you are fighting wind, or flying with wind. ALWAYS WATCH FOR THE WIND. Remember, that last 10% of battery (or whatever you have set as critical in the settings) = auto landing kicks in .. so make sure you get home before 10%, or are prepared to 'fight' auto land. My rule of thumb is, @30mph I can get 1 mile in 2 mins. So If I'm 20k out, thats ~4 miles and will take 8 minutes to get back. Always, ALWAYS BE DOING THE MATH ABOUT HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE LEFT.

And, always have a backup landing spot .. or a couple of them. Here's a remote landing i did cause a cell in my MS5200 died:

And more more, I got too ballsy on the flyout with wind,had to find a landing spot near the water (fun starts at 13m):

also, get these apps UAVForecast and Windy. Both will be helpful to know if winds are too much for the day.

Reactions: tml4191

im wondering if your battery is going into charging state? Does the led blinking change at all? I tested this with two batteries, one at 100% and one at 34% and the only way i can get voltage to increase is by plugging in an external with more voltage, and it sends the stock battery into charging mode.

Reactions: tml4191
Not saying the home made one won't work as well but there may be more to it then meets the eye...
Here's what the guy that makes the original said in a previous post or at least I believe its the guy that makes them as it was posted right after I talked to him in an email...He asked me where I heard about the adapter from and I shared a link to this thread...
Dual Battery Mod

"No its not simple to make as it has a protection circuit build into the connector"

I haven't proven this to be true or false and I never will...I was happy to pay the $40...
Not saying names but one was cut open open and no circuit board. The ones with LED light might be different but if you dont have a lot of money and can solder this works just as good...im not the only who has tried it with good results

You got a good battery, and a good battery charger. You will want to make sure that your battery charger is set to LIHV, but otherwise should be good. For DJ go settings, kinda dealers choice but i have battery warning at 15% and critical at 10%.

On step 3, its really not that bad. Make sure you are taking off from even ground, but do give it some GO when you get started. I have never come close to tipping over on take-off. For #4 above, you can lower the airbreak value to <100% and it will help. I have mine set at 70% and love it, it does help with the heavier batteries. But, sometimes stuff happens and its inevitable (this was full stop, 0% battery left):

You may wanna skip the silicone tape, just go straight to the scotch hook loop, like this: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B00PX0R8W0

Go slow. Don't go 50k feet on your first flight, you may not make it back. Go slow, and get used to what its like to be 5+ miles away. Watch your speed, know when you are fighting wind, or flying with wind. ALWAYS WATCH FOR THE WIND. Remember, that last 10% of battery (or whatever you have set as critical in the settings) = auto landing kicks in .. so make sure you get home before 10%, or are prepared to 'fight' auto land. My rule of thumb is, @30mph I can get 1 mile in 2 mins. So If I'm 20k out, thats ~4 miles and will take 8 minutes to get back. Always, ALWAYS BE DOING THE MATH ABOUT HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE LEFT.

And, always have a backup landing spot .. or a couple of them. Here's a remote landing i did cause a cell in my MS5200 died:

And more more, I got too ballsy on the flyout with wind,had to find a landing spot near the water (fun starts at 13m):

also, get these apps UAVForecast and Windy. Both will be helpful to know if winds are too much for the day.

Thank you for taking the time to inform me. I'll definitely use that information, but do you fly with some kind of GPS tracker? I've seen some of your vids, but that's the first time seeing those emergency landings.

Last edited:

"10c" is relative to the Ah of the battery pack. Also, keep in mind that when running additional batteries, your current is spread across 8 cells and not the usual 4 so a 20A draw from the ESC is really only pulling 10A from each pack. I've run some experimental batteries like a 6100mAh GEB8043125 cell 4S pack rated at 2C (12A) with no adverse effects. I don't think the discharge rate is his problem but just wanted to chip in some knowledge to a thread I haven't contributed to in a while.

I have also tested using NCR18650GA cells...These are rated at constant 2C (7A), 60sec full throttle 6C (20A) and Burst 10C (35A). I beat the crap out of both batteries I mentioned and they never got hot. Also Dashware analysis confirms amperage draw on the packs. Have a look at this old flight I did. Max amps was 10.96 at the very end when fighting autoland and landing at 1%.

"10c" is relative to the Ah of the battery pack. Also, keep in mind that when running additional batteries, your current is spread across 8 cells and not the usual 4 so a 20A draw from the ESC is really only pulling 10A from each pack. I've run some experimental batteries like a 6100mAh GEB8043125 cell 4S pack rated at 2C (12A) with no adverse effects. I don't think the discharge rate is his problem but just wanted to chip in some knowledge to a thread I haven't contributed to in a while.

I have also tested using NCR18650GA cells...These are rated at constant 2C (7A), 60sec full throttle 6C (20A) and Burst 10C (35A). I beat the crap out of both batteries I mentioned and they never got hot. Also Dashware analysis confirms amperage draw on the packs. Have a look at this old flight I did. Max amps was 10.96 at the very end when fighting autoland and landing at 1%.

Always appreciate some knowledge man, I'm still learning and need that! Did you find that the lower rated batteries drew from the external at the same rate as the others? I was worried that it wouldn't distribute evenly and would leave too much in the tank. Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18