Dual Battery Mod

Always appreciate some knowledge man, I'm still learning and need that! Did you find that the lower rated batteries drew from the external at the same rate as the others? I was worried that it wouldn't distribute evenly and would leave too much in the tank. Thoughts?

Nope, as long as the cells can handle the load put on them, they all discharged evenly. Like I said, even though the C rating was way low, they were fine since I was running the DJI battery with them...Depending on the configuration, I tested 1 or 2 externals in parallel in addition to the DJI battery. That's 8-12 cells! It really whacks down the draw on each pack... That's why the DJI battery hardly heats up when running externals :D

Reactions: Digdat0
here's a video i did on how to take the dji battery to 100%
Basically, turn it on so its powered on then plug it in. It will charge the rest of the way.
I haven't been able to get any of my batteries to behave like that. Once they're fully charged, they do not take a further charge using your method. Just saying.

I haven't been able to get any of my batteries to behave like that. Once they're fully charged, they do not take a further charge using your method. Just saying.
What watt charger do you have? I can do this on all of my batteries, even the third party ones.

hey maxwell smart - how is your dual battery mod working out? Have you had any issues with a 2nd DJI battery turning off or anything? Or does it all seem to be working okay?

What watt charger do you have? I can do this on all of my batteries, even the third party ones.
I have both the 60 and 100w dji chargers but I always use the 100w one. That makes a difference?

Her are my findings, I guess not such a big surprise for most of you....did a hovering test with:

- P3Pv1: Dji-Battery at 17.18V: 18:45min
- P3Pv2: Dji battery at 17.2V: 20 min

Both additionally with the same Multistar LIHV4s5200 and Dji Batt at 17.2V:

-P3Pv1: 28min, feels veey snappy, enough muscle for this weight. Motors stayed absolutely cool. Barely warmed up
-P3Pv2: 30:15min, feels a bit less strong overall. Motor got warm, not hot, maybe 45 degree, you could touch them but remarkably warm for sure. The windings inside look as well a bit more messy than the v1 motor, I would not guessed that v2 is better quality, but v1 from a visual ispection....nevertheless: They hover longer.

Next test is if longer hover translates into longer distance at the same speed of approx. 10m/s....I am thinking currently that in strong winds I would be more confident to fly the v1...has more power-reserves...

Her are my findings, I guess not such a big surprise for most of you....did a hovering test with:

- P3Pv1: Dji-Battery at 17.18V: 18:45min
- P3Pv2: Dji battery at 17.2V: 20 min

Both additionally with the same Multistar LIHV4s5200 and Dji Batt at 17.2V:

-P3Pv1: 28min, feels veey snappy, enough muscle for this weight. Motors stayed absolutely cool. Barely warmed up
-P3Pv2: 30:15min, feels a bit less strong overall. Motor got warm, not hot, maybe 45 degree, you could touch them but remarkably warm for sure. The windings inside look as well a bit more messy than the v1 motor, I would not guessed that v2 is better quality, but v1 from a visual ispection....nevertheless: They hover longer.

Next test is if longer hover translates into longer distance at the same speed of approx. 10m/s....I am thinking currently that in strong winds I would be more confident to fly the v1...has more power-reserves...

Excuse my ignorance here but what are you referring to? P3Pv1 vs. P3Pv2? I may have missed something in a previous post that you're referencing and I apologize if that is the case but you peaked my curiosity with the 2 extra minutes on the P3Pv2...

Edit...Oh okay, I think you are referring to the two different version ps3's..With different motors...you must have both...

Last edited:
Yes, when the P3P was available on ebay for 550 Euro, I got the v2 with 2312a Motor...

I work as a volunteer in the Norwegian Alpine rescue service. We fly a lot with the Seaking rescue helicopter.
The pilots always have to use more torque/power to hower still mid air, than when flying forwards. Power difference is at least 30-40%. Would the same apply to our drones?
TU20110907TU20110907TU2011090720110907-TU-SkagEx11--202318_29_354418_38_025918_45_51%201109071756.1000x667.jpg

In theory, yes...as well simulations would confirm that (see ecalc.ch)...but in practise the hoover time of 18:30 is as well sofar my best flighttime with only one battery...what matters is for sure a very battery-friendly start, so max 1,5m/s ascending and 6-8m/s moving horizontally. A smooth start gives you 30sec back and a smart landing where you loose height continously while moving horizontally as well as the battery get some power back from the regenerative bracking...

so i was modding two new batteries today, and saw a circuit board i havent seen before. i was curious if anyone else who has modded a battery has seen this? its the battery with the green circuit board inside.

PqJWx7n.jpg

i7z2rEX.jpg

kKwOMME.jpg

LXv9qDA.jpg

Reactions: LuizRN
What thickness copper did you use please?
On that note, did you ever get a battery error with this mod. I remember flying the phantom at the beach and then I got a battery error since the battery wasn't plugged in all the way. It was in but slightly out, so how does this mod hold up?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik