Dual Battery Mod

Or not! :eek:
He lied to us when he said they would offer it in the U.S. through Midwest Horizon, if there was sufficient demand! Now he's decided he can sell lots of cheap P3 batteries at inflated prices this way, and clean up! For that kind of money, I have many other options of LiHV batteries that already produce 30 minute flight times, at 25% of the price!
Slow down, I'm certainly not calling Will a liar! He's been nothing but helpful with me and others i know of who deal w/ him.
I posted that e-mail response so those of you that were on the fence would not hesitate waiting for midwest option, and would go ahead and order with confidence from U.k

Slow down, I'm certainly not calling Will a liar! He's been nothing but helpful with me and others i know of who deal w/ him.
I posted that e-mail response so those of you that were on the fence would not hesitate waiting for midwest option, and would go ahead and order with confidence from U.k
Fair enough. That was my bad. I've edited my original post that you quoted to a more conservative "he seems to have misled us when..." Indeed, I am impressed by his innovation, but disappointed that he won't now share that innovation any time soon with Midwest Horizon, so we can use our own excess new DJI batteries locally, like they can in the UK. If I didn't already have the LiHV charger, and several sets of external batteries producing 28+ minute flight times, along with two already modified DJI batteries to accept them, I would likely jump at the offer, despite the overpriced DJI battery requirements. I still might, depending upon tomorrow's P4 announcement...:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
New P4 battery will be 2-3x the size of the P3!
Once the FCC site is back up, we'll know the video power output from the P4 to compare to the P3
https://fccid.io/SS3-WM3301512
image.jpeg

First High Res shot of the Phantom 4 Revealed!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have to agree, Canada has already emphasized this. Hopefully this rig will run routinelly and I can start collecting some numbers. I happen to have a pair of DJ batteries I will try to use for my second test, assuming I can deal with the balance connectors efficiently.

But I don't know why you are talking about using the DJ charger anymore on the DJ batteries once you have them separated from the battery manager. Now that you have a real charging interface you may now use a state of the art lipo charger on it. As you point out, the battery deserves more respect :) .....

If you don't use the dji charger, you will have to get a special Hi voltage charger, then you would still need to balance them with the main dji battery , so it's easier to use what you already have ... The dji charger.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
USA customer now have access to this amazing phantom pro power mod, with free charge module and free DHL shipping.

Phantom 3 Power Mod V3 Worldwide free shipping
Thanks for coming up with a solution.
However, am I reading correctly that our cost is $485 American dollars?
According to your website, if I was in the UK, it would only cost $104 if I gave you two new DJI batteries which retail for $149 each (but can now be bought for $100 or less, if bought with a new P3P). Is shipping the kit to the U.S. really $81? I already have several extra brand new DJI batteries I would like to use, but instead, I will now have to buy two more new ones at full retail from you to do the mod? Why won't you allow the U.S. Horizon Dealer Midwest Horizon to make this mod for us in the continental U.S., just like you do in the UK, for $104, saving us $381 over your only price option, if we supply our own batteries? Even at $81 each way for shipping, if we sent you our own batteries, cost would be $162 shipping (or a lot less!) plus the $104 in labor that you charge locals, which is only $266, saving $219, using extra new P3P batteries we already own. What am I missing? Why won't you allow us the option of sending you our own P3P batteries?

Last edited:
Horizon power Mod v 3 is awesome. I banged out another 35 minute flight this time in less optimal conditions I think I went 45000 feet out and back the fastest I went I believe was 34 miles an hour when I turn around only have 58% battery and my average speed was about 26 miles an hour the power mod v3 still got home it draws at an even rate all the way down - 0% I know it's expensive what it's worth it.

Putting two high voltage 2S cells in series might give you a better power to weight ratio and increase flight time more efficiently. I would be interested in the amperage draw of your test. Lugging 250 grams more stuff might have a significant impact in increasing amperage through the ESC and to the motors. I would also be concerned that you have non-HV cells parallel to HV cells - the sidecar cells may not enjoy the current inrush everytime you plug it in.
I think the full phantom log has amperage in it if you wish to data mine and post.

Yeh the hyperion hv 2400's are probably the best that i have tested!!

My thoughts exactly!
actually the cost was only £75 for the whole kit using your existing batteries ( IN Feb ), however shipping lipos from the USA is a bit unpractical , although the European guys are doing this ,then the cost per battery set is even better . for intstance , 5 sets ( 10 lipos converted for £200 ) that an average of £40 a set.

Last edited:
If you don't use the dji charger, you will have to get a special Hi voltage charger, then you would still need to balance them with the main dji battery , so it's easier to use what you already have ... The dji charger.

I'm talking about using something more advanced than the DJI hardware. Something like:

"www . icharger . co.nz / Products / 4010-Duo.aspx" (remove spaces)

It will get more out of the batteries and take better care of them. This is at least worth considering when the cost of the batteries is tallied. It is also a good reason to take the batteries out of the smart battery shell. Btw, in case it isn't clear, this charger, like many other advanced chargers like it, certainly do HV.

Yer losing me, starting to look like a mess and definetly not worth the trouble, and maybe even not close to the reason i started following this thread!
You are a mad scientist though and u got my attention for that!

Ha! Right! That was a test fixture intended to make it possible to do a bunch of things, primarily, test an oversize mono battery configuration. I also wanted to see if the side mounted configuration, when lowered, made a difference in thrust efficiency. Guess what though(?)... between loosing the weight of the battery housing and further lightening of the lower frame, the net on the change is about 30, and well worth the benefits I didn't plan for: Having the battery down low, below the camera, makes for a very stable camera platform. This is my drone equipped with a 25mm telephoto. What a difference it makes! Totally dumb luck. But please don't let that mess with my 'mad scientist' moniker. I work hard for that....

I have run quite a few tests through the battery manager using completely different batteries and while things seemed to work routinely I wasn't looking very closely. While the voltage being reported was correct, the point the app decides to consider it critical varied significantly from battery to battery. There does seem to be hard reset methods built into the firmware as well. I am just starting to experiment with this. IE Holding down the power button for a long time, or holding it while powering on....

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Apparently it is not just voltage alone, the battery manger passes other info along, as well...

I have run quite a few tests through the battery manager using completely different batteries and while things seemed to work routinely I wasn't looking very closely. While the voltage being reported was correct, the point the app decides to consider it critical varied significantly from battery to battery. There does seem to be hard reset methods built into the firmware as well. I am just starting to experiment with this. IE Holding down the power button for a long time, or holding it while powering on....

Apparently it is not just voltage alone, the battery manger passes other info along, as well...

I have seen "battery error please check" on the status when first powering up with the battery mod. It doesn't happen all the time but does on occasion. My process is to disconnect the externals first then power off the main battery. Power on the main and then connect the externals.

I have worked on this over a year ago and can completely bypass the DJi battery module , like do a 30 minute flight ( With 3rd party lipos ) and return with 90 % battery , we did this over a year ago , hover time was 48 mins..... Will Horizon FPV UK

for now settle for the P3 Power mod V3, we give you this extended time that is measurable .....

Guys it going to happen , with enough demand , Midwest Horizon will handle the P3 Power mods V3 , you can send in your lipos pairs or buy new ones modded.,, Its official , Will Horizon UK
I've stood up for you AND your company Will but you've giving me these two answers in a 24 hour period!!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456871049.920343.jpg

Also, here is a link to some good information on the "intelligence". It's a long thread and pertains to the P2 but it probably carries over to the P3.
Freeing the Phantom 2 / Vision from Proprietary "Smart" Battery - RC Groups

OK, thanks - I should understand that history, it may apply.

And... definitely fussing with long holds on the first and second press will accomplish some sort of a reset. I have doubled my flight time on the first lipo I almost gave up on because I didn't realize I was dealing with this problem.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94