6600mAh Stealth Battery Mod ... (27.5 minute flight times)

Re: 6600mAh Stealth Battery Mod ... (25 minute flight times)

ToThePoint said:
Charged a other battery with the DJI charger and the GT power 130A in series with it.
Its between the charger and connector for the battery.
I toke a picture of what the battery toke as a load after being charged and switched off.
5856mah ???????????

Tough to be accurate on those in line meters when the smart charger is doing all the work inside the battery... If cells were out of balance during charge then the smart board had to keep burning off power from the high cells for the low cells to catch up... The in line meter shows how much power went in but not how much power was "balanced out" to keep the cells even... numbers can be weird with those things sometimes.

You always lose energy, think of warming up the battery during charging.
And electronics on the battery ;)

ToThePoint said:
locoworks said:
try charging a stock battery through the meter and see what you get?

Stock battery ?
It was the second battery i received with the bird from DJI as it has the nr 2 on it, a more stock battery then that ?
I am confused, again ?

OOPS. my fail, i thought the display was refering to the 6600 not a stock battery. :oops:

More info from 2 more flights...
Some good ... Some bad...

I'll start out with the bad...

My smart board installation is having a helluva time trying to calibrate to these new batteries :(

I went out this morning and it was pretty breezy... but good enough to fly around a bit and cycle the new batteries and break them in some more... The first battery installed was #2... The one that hasn't been flown yet... powered up and connected to wifi and started app quickly... Battery telemetry showed 90% right away :| ... I thought that was weird but whatever... maybe it didn't charge all the way... launched the bird and started video record to start the timer... flew around for 5 minutes or so and noticed the battery was just hanging at 90%... again... weird but I figured "calibration... it'll start clicking down when the voltage comes down a bit" ... 10 minutes went by... still 90%... 15... still 90%... 22 minutes and low battery alarm starts sounding... still hung at 90% :twisted:

So i fly all the way to 24 minutes and land already cuzz I won't be able to judge 0% with the display acting this way... just as the Phantom lands I see the battery display click down to 89% ... hmmmm ... weird :?

So I bust out battery #1 ... The battery with one flight on it... Check it on the tester... max charge :12.6 - 4.2 - 4.2 - 4.2 ... plug in and fire up... connect and start the app... This one shows 89% at start up :twisted: ... WTF?!?! ... impossible ... I just checked it :evil: :evil:

So i launch this one and the battery meter starts functioning normally ... normally IF this was a stock battery... runs down to the 8% mark in about 16 minutes and just like the first flight the other day ... hangs there at 8% F O R E V E R R R R ... 10 FRICKIN MINUTES AT 8% ... then resumes it's regular countdown and I land it at 0%

And there's the only good news... SUPER LONG FLIGHT!!!

1414341866_Screenshot_2014-10-26-08-09-06-picsay_zpssqbdesb0.png

So the problem is...

I have this awesome battery and clean install... but what good is that if the meter isn't showing me any accurate information :?:

I really need to figure this one out... I am theorizing that the smart board won't calibrate because I am disconnecting and charging the batteries away from the board... maybe :?: ... not sure ... got some major experimenting to do over the next few days I guess...

Anybody know of a thread where they have used the smart cap double battery mod and posted any results? Their mod is a bit different from mine but I'm wondering if those guys using two batteries are having any success with calibrating the on screen telemetry...

Might be a major pain to figure this out but I wanna have this mod working correctly or it really doesn't help my long range efforts much...

I've figured out a little wiring harness to charge these things while connected to the smart board but I was hoping I could avoid all that mess... or maybe doing it once will be enough to calibrate the board :?:

I'll try and sort out the charger thingy over the next couple days :(

I have worked with a number of gas gauge chips and many detect when batteries are disconnected and they are generally designed to determine which battery they are working with by measuring the batteries impedance. Often 2 batteries from the same type and manufacturer can have modestly different impedance. My guess is given our lack of control over the gas gauge, no way to tell the gas gauge to reset to a new battery, is causing the gas gauge to get confused and potentially mis-trained.

DBS i've see that topic you mention.
They claim a 33min flight with no issue's.
They also disconnect the lipo's from the board.
Could it be the smart PCB or parts that remember something are fed from the lipo even when its off ?
Some µC need a backup battery usually done by goldcap condenser.
Thats not needed if there is a lipo, the µC doesn't use much current when its only memory to maintain.
I don't have a smart PCB to my disposal yet to do some tweaking.
Therefore its just what comes up in my mind @ random.

Re: 6600mAh Stealth Battery Mod ... (27.5 minute flight time

Earlier in this thread the meters worked fine until you got down to 8%, which lasted quite awhile....something changed....

mede8er said:
Earlier in this thread the meters worked fine until you got down to 8%, which lasted quite awhile....something changed....

Did that again today on the second battery... The first flight was the irritating one... I've got some stuff figured out to make sure the battery is "reset" before flying... The rest will work itself out with good planning for that last 8% :ugeek:

After tomtop answered on ebay with " we don't ship to Belgium ( always knew i live in a banana-republic )" i bought it from there website.
Guess what, the 6600mah lipo arrived this morning, it was due yesterday but the postman forgot it, he had a brain fart witch i can understand, i have so many of them LMAO.
The first 2 dji battery's i had are slowly dieing after 60 times of use.
Lost nr 1 last week due to a severe crash that involved a flyaway ( again ), tree and a ditch with water, my own fault BTW.
I found all bits and pieces except the nr 1 battery ( presumably lost in the ditch with water ) and now i am on a bifurcation.
Do the DBS mod or leave it like it is and transfer the cap with PCB to the 6600mah lipo.
Before i make my mind up i have to run some tests, the lipo is charging now to balance it out.
This is going to be fun to see what range and/or flight time i'm getting.

I'm down for a little while here also... Had a motor go bad (probly just a bearing) so I ordered the upgrade package but I'm waiting on backorder so just sitting here itchin to fly... Going thru the process of oiling the bearings and it seems to be loosening up the motor but I still don't trust it right now... Maybe go out and hover real low on Sunday and see how it acts with some load on it.

DBS, at it again lol

nice mod.
Are you already itching for the Inspire?

dragonash said:
DBS, at it again lol

nice mod.

Thanks man... :D

Really not sure yet on the inspire... To be determined I guess... I don't imagine the customer base will be as large at that price point and I like banging around on the big forums with lots of flying buddies to talk **** with... :ugeek:

DBS said:
Going thru the process of oiling the bearings and it seems to be loosening up the motor but I still don't trust it right now... Maybe go out and hover real low on Sunday and see how it acts with some load on it.

Yes they do loosen when greased. I have some 50 bearings in spare LOL, i was ones in my ordering state of mind ( like a women, a hole in my hand ) :roll:
and it came in bulk 50 pieces from the land that offers also nr 34 to take away. :D
You know how and with what i grease them ?
I use oil that they use to grease sewing machines with.
Its liquid Vaseline and used back in the day when grandma lived. No bearing @ all on them rods and stuff.
I take a toothpick and nibble a bit one end so the wood-fibers loosen and for a little brush. After drying i take a scrap piece of plastic and pour a drop of liquid Vaseline on it. With the brushed toothpick i apply the lubricant that disappears into the hungry bearing even before you notice it.
Never overdo it because when the excess oil/oil touches the copper windings its disaster bound to happen. Therefore never apply it strait from the bottle like super glue, a single drop out of the bottle is always to much.
As i use this kinda method i don´t have to undo the motor.
The toothpick is narrow enough to go between the outer rotating piece and the windings.
A steady hand is also a must. :lol:

DBS said:
dragonash said:
DBS, at it again lol

nice mod.

Thanks man... :D

Really not sure yet on the inspire... To be determined I guess... I don't imagine the customer base will be as large at that price point and I like banging around on the big forums with lots of flying buddies to talk **** with... :ugeek:

+1

Also the pricetag is a bit to high to mess around with it and do some mods.
If i pay that kinda money is has to be perfect and have to meet all my needs, and it doesn't.

ToThePoint said:
If i pay that kinda money is has to be perfect and have to meet all my needs

And to be clear... you were talking about a drone, right? Cause I've said exactly this kind of thing in ...ahem... other circumstances.

rbhamilton said:
ToThePoint said:
If i pay that kinda money is has to be perfect and have to meet all my needs

And to be clear... you were talking about a drone, right? Cause I've said exactly this kind of thing in ...ahem... other circumstances.

You can read my mind.
Its applicable in any kinda circumstance that involves a huge amount of money considering a cheaper solution that also does the job.
A quad of 1200€ is ok to mess with and when things go bad, well some find that kinda money also a lot to mess with.
Anyway if you mess with $3000 and it goes bad, wouldn't be a issue when your a millionaire.
But as i come from/out a workman pants its something that doesn't lay around. :p
It would be a different story if i could make some money with it, but the V+ is more the sufficient for the escapades i make with it.

DBS i read this between the lines.

pro-tip ... always plug the mains in first... then the JST connector.

Has it something to do with the % meter doing odd ?

Made the decision to make the same battery mod as you but still not quiet sure what to do with the 2 new dji battery's i have in the fridge.
Maybe sell them. Going to brainstorm on that.

ToThePoint said:
DBS i read this between the lines.

pro-tip ... always plug the mains in first... then the JST connector.

Has it something to do with the % meter doing odd ?

Made the decision to make the same battery mod as you but still not quiet sure what to do with the 2 new dji battery's i have in the fridge.

I plugged in the JST first and didn't notice that it turned on the smart board... Then sparks fly when plugging in the mains... Lesson learned

I kept one of my spare batteries in case I need another smart board down the road somewhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4