Dual Battery Mod

i got some MaxxUAV battery trays in, they look good! Feel strong and fit perfectly. Each one was 7.4g. What i really love is that they look stock.
bPSJQnb.jpg
Did you notice that you have the left rear rubber suspension that is somehow damaged. Just my one cent.

Reactions: Digdat0
actually, i noticed that too in the pic, hadnt before. just put a new one on :) thanks for letting me know!
You are welcome. Thanks for all your posts about dual batteries mod.

Hi Ed it's my p3a v2! So if I do upgrade to 1.19 what do I do with the RC does this need to be down graded?

No. You don't have to keep all firmwares in sync. I run 1.5.7 on my r/c's and one bird has 1.1.9fw another 1.4.0 p3s at current version and another p3p at current version.

hey guys - charging the multistar 5200 for the first time, the highest it will go is 16.46 volt,. about 4.1 per cell. i can charge my other lihv batteries to 17.4 without any issues.. anyone ran into this? i'm doing regular 'charge', 5.2amps on my HiTec x1 mini charger.

hey guys - charging the multistar 5200 for the first time, the highest it will go is 16.46 volt,. about 4.1 per cell. i can charge my other lihv batteries to 17.4 without any issues.. anyone ran into this? i'm doing regular 'charge', 5.2amps on my HiTec x1 mini charger.
Hey Digdat0 I have charged my MS 5200x2 they both charge to 17.40 4.35 V. One battery charges over 5200 mah the other 5100 mah.

Reactions: Digdat0
Hey Digdat0 I have charged my MS 5200x2 they both charge to 17.40 4.35 V. One battery charges over 5200 mah the other 5100 mah.
thanks! looks like one cell is up to 4.35, the rest are sitting at 4.08. gonna run it down a bit until they are balanced then recharge with balancer.

thanks! looks like one cell is up to 4.35, the rest are sitting at 4.08. gonna run it down a bit until they are balanced then recharge with balancer.
so it ended up that something is wrong with this battery. was flying back from 40k today and my voltage dropped significantly with 60% battery, the available power dropped significantly and i had to make a remote landing. i made it into a cool video i'll post later though. brand new MS 5200 ... cell 4 is at zero, the rest are at 3.86.

so it ended up that something is wrong with this battery. was flying back from 40k today and my voltage dropped significantly with 60% battery, the available power dropped significantly and i had to make a remote landing. i made it into a cool video i'll post later though. brand new MS 5200 ... cell 4 is at zero, the rest are at 3.86.
Hell digs you have had a bad run on faulty batteries,first the venom now the MS!!

Interesting that your height readout was increasing at the end, as you were descending. You must have flown to land it outside the fence, right? Smart move.

@Ed209 and @maxwell smart can you guys take a look at what I'm doing and see where i'm going wrong? I've a smart board from a crashed battery which seems functional. battery would power it, but i didn't feel safe with it so i scrapped the cells and kept the board. i've soldered on power leads to both sides, the top and bottom. I've cut the cell balance lines and split in a balance plug for the battery. It looks like this:

F7ilh4h.jpg

Closeup

AWtW3KH.jpg

The bottom side (where the original cells hooked in) doesn't power at all, but the top side dies.

When i have it hooked in with cells plugged and powered from the top, DJI go looks like this. shows 0% on a charged lihv, and 0.00v.

69iG8vN.png

and this, not that voltage is N/A and the sliders are locked down.

4DK3OYh.png

and advanced/battery history shows this

w3xX8zw.png

I am also unable to "turn on" the smart board using the button on the front. None of the LED's will come on. But when taking these pics, the red LED button briefly flashed like it was trying. (I wonder if the board is in hibernate mode).

As an experiment, i left the balance plug in the smart board and plugged into one of the direct power lines i have soldered. DJI go shows different experience:

L02gHSl.png

note, on this the voltage does show 0.00v. on the other screen it didnt.
yQmWxGj.png

and then this

tKIXFni.png

i feel like i'm close, but missing something. any ideas?

also, what did y'all do with the 2 black wires coming off the smart board? these ones:

dBy3ig9.png

thanks for any help.

@Ed209 and @maxwell smart can you guys take a look at what I'm doing and see where i'm going wrong? I've a smart board from a crashed battery which seems functional. battery would power it, but i didn't feel safe with it so i scrapped the cells and kept the board. i've soldered on power leads to both sides, the top and bottom. I've cut the cell balance lines and split in a balance plug for the battery. It looks like this:

F7ilh4h.jpg

Closeup

AWtW3KH.jpg

The bottom side (where the original cells hooked in) doesn't power at all, but the top side dies.

When i have it hooked in with cells plugged and powered from the top, DJI go looks like this. shows 0% on a charged lihv, and 0.00v.

69iG8vN.png

4DK3OYh.png

w3xX8zw.png

I am also unable to "turn on" the smart board using the button on the front. None of the LED's will come on. But when taking these pics, the red LED button briefly flashed like it was trying. (I wonder if the board is in hibernate mode).

As an experiment, i left the balance plug in the smart board and plugged into one of the direct power lines i have soldered. DJI go shows different experience:

L02gHSl.png

yQmWxGj.png

and then this

tKIXFni.png

also, what did y'all do with the 2 black wires coming off the smart board? these ones:

dBy3ig9.png

thanks for any help.

First things first. Your main power leads need to go to the center of the board. The red and black , fat wires. Ok after that it should work.
In the second picture, the first black wire on the right ,[ as I am looking at it in your picture] I think that goes to the black wire on your battery balance lead. And then the other wires go in line one next to one. I am going by memory because my battery is all put to gather.

F7ilh4h.jpg

Closeup

AWtW3KH.jpg

69iG8vN.png

4DK3OYh.png

w3xX8zw.png

L02gHSl.png

yQmWxGj.png

and then this

tKIXFni.png

dBy3ig9.png

thanks for any help.

Ditto to what maxwell said. You don't want to be plugging your power leads into the switched side because that's not where the OEM battery is connected... So use the unswitched (inside) leads.

Next thing is you balance leads. Make sure they are in the right order or you will fry the board. I can't remember either but if you have a meter you can open up another battery and test the first and last black lines. If you get negative voltage i.e. -15.2v then the polarity is switched, so you'll be able to tell which is which.

thanks guys. i pulled off the power lead on the switched side, i don't get any power on the unswitched side (the middle one).

when you plugin an external to that, do you have to use the button on the board to 'turn it on' or does LED lights come on on their own?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WI.Drone pilot