Dual Battery Mod

Ed, what does this allow you to do? Just power with externals instead of the main DJI battery?

You cant run on just externals. You'll get the battery error. This is just another way of adding additional batteries instead of going through the DJI battery and having to mod each battery you get. It also will keep the P3 powered in the event of main battery failure. The main reason I did it this way was because I didn't like the playing around when starting up and having the main battery start charging. It was happening more frequently, even with brand new batteries.

Reactions: Digdat0
image.jpeg
Finally finished putting together my dual battery setup and wanted to share the final product with everyone. Its a Horizons FPV Battery mod with the 5200 LiHV split power pack. I got some cf trays from RCHobby, they turned out to be too small for the landing gear so i modded them and used some zip ties and a few holes in the legs. I think it turned out quite well, it fits nicely and looks good. I've put two, 8min flights on the batteries and its flying well. Hope to get more time later after family obligations are gone :)

Thanks again to everyone here for sharing information, this has been an amazing place to learn information and be with like minded folks.

Pics:
43OIqWa.jpg

5DTl9Zb.jpg

QxaPttW.jpg

e4dTrTB.jpg

UgQ9UIa.jpg

You cant run on just externals. You'll get the battery error. This is just another way of adding additional batteries instead of going through the DJI battery and having to mod each battery you get. It also will keep the P3 powered in the event of main battery failure. The main reason I did it this way was because I didn't like the playing around when starting up and having the main battery start charging. It was happening more frequently, even with brand new batteries.
When do you plugin your externals? After all powered up?

Yes let it do its thing then hooker up! If I get the famous Dji batt charging sometimes I restart the process all over.if that don't work I just take off for a second then land it.that drains the externals a little then reboot! But most times I always top off batts then go fly right away!

Reactions: Gazzer and Digdat0

Yes after ready to fly indicator is shown. No issues and best of all, no jerking around with batteries trying to charge. I can take off and bolt out for distance and not worry about my main battery switching over to charge mode.

Yes after ready to fly indicator is shown. No issues and best of all, no jerking around with batteries trying to charge. I can take off and bolt out for distance and not worry about my main battery switching over to charge mode.
So you're hooking up externals to the cable you soldered in, right? The phantom battery just installs as usual, no mod needed? As far as the phantom battery going into charge mode, has it ever happened during flight, as opposed to just during pre launch. Pre launch is a nuisance. During flight could be catastrophic. If that has happened during flight, how do you know it?

I've never had it happen after take off, if you can get off the ground, then your fine.
Thats why I wait for "safe to fly" then when I plug in externals I literally "run" back to controller and start the motors

So you're hooking up externals to the cable you soldered in, right? The phantom battery just installs as usual, no mod needed? As far as the phantom battery going into charge mode, has it ever happened during flight, as opposed to just during pre launch. Pre launch is a nuisance. During flight could be catastrophic. If that has happened during flight, how do you know it?
Correct. I have had it happen a few times where the externals started charging the main DJI battery. After a few retries of everything (disconnect externals, power off DJI bat, then restart process), I would then plug everything in and start motors and hover close by to try and reduce the voltage like DB mentioned. Battery still tried to charge. This is with a good DJI battery too. I could see if the battery had a lot of cycles/abuse and was lower voltage than the externals but for me it was happening without rhyme or reason. Brand new battery, old battery...Sometimes wouldn't happen, then would with the same batteries. I got tired of all that and just soldered directly to the board. Now I have piece of mind knowing that I won't have that issue ever again.

Like I said, when I'm setting out for 10+ mi I don't like starting off with this kind of battery charging issue. I need to be able to power up and GO! Don't care about warranty at this point in the game!

With the P4 to use 15.2 LIHv externals, after fully charging the externals I have to discharge him to 4.32 or else I'll never make it off the ground

My second Venom Fly 2300 lihv showed today (first shipment one had a bad cell and had to RMA it). Waiting on a replacement motor before i can fly .. when the motor comes Ive decided I will be doing the direct power mod as well. Just dont want to play with the batteries anymore, and since its gonna be open why not ?:)

ticLWiZ.jpg

image.jpeg
My second Venom Fly 2300 lihv showed today (first shipment one had a bad cell and had to RMA it). Waiting on a replacement motor before i can fly .. when the motor comes Ive decided I will be doing the direct power mod as well. Just dont want to play with the batteries anymore, and since its gonna be open why not ?:)

ticLWiZ.jpg
Main power board mod do you still receive the flite time on Dji app? Less wire less weight!!

Last edited:
Main power board mod do you still receive the flite time on Dji app?
Hey ED209 the main board mod does the flite time come up on the Dji app?

Well that's is something modded it to main board Dji batt is 50% and the multi stars are about 60% and it still wants to charge it hhhhmmmm!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak