Dual Battery Mod

Yeah looks like I have to get one. Found one on amazon for $60. This purchase ks gettinf expensive real quick lol

I have a question about the modded DJI battery though. Does it deplete the DJI battery also when using it? Because that means once the original modded battery drained out in the field, I won't be able to use my other turnigy lipo's.
Sorry if its kinda a noob question, i just received my first phantom yesterday.

Obviously it's your call, but can I suggest since you just got your first phantom, to fly around the way it is for a couple weeks and get used to it. If you don't know how it flies as a stock bird you won't know how to valuate problems you're having with heavy batteries and the way it handles versus the way it supposed to handle[emoji41]

Reactions: MK47 and Digdat0
Thanks for the inputs guys. Went this morning to try a distance run and couldn't get the **** external to stop charging the DJI battery. I topped off the DJI batteries before heading out, they both showed 100%. The externals were showing 17.4 (3.5x4) and every time I'd try, it would go back to charging. Finally i just powered on the aircraft using only the externals, let it sit for 5 mins to drain a bit and tried it again. Once the externals went down to 17.2 (<4.3 per cell), i was able to get it to not charge and take off. This is the v3 5200 from Horizons.

Once i get my (replacement) Venom fly LiHV next week, I'm going to play with those a bit and see if maybe its the split pack. For the money, really not happy with the split pack so far. When it works, i am averaging 26mins per flight, was really hoping for 30+. Running one single Venom fly 2300 lihv (with both strapped, but one was dead, had both to balance weight), i got 25 mins .. so i dont think the 5200's are as good as advertised possibly. Maybe I'm still breaking them in .. i dunno. This is similar to the results DB shared in the Horizon v3 thread. I dunno .. will email Horizons.

I also found that I have a motor going out, three motors are cool to the touch, one is **** hot. I've noticed it also leans to the side now when i floor it, and was not performing how it should. This could be related to a flip over I had at the coast a few weeks back and almost caused a crash today, it spun out of control. So looks like I'm cracking the shell either way. I think while I'm in there, I'm going to do the direct mod to the aircraft and just avoid this going forward. Super frustrating .. but thanks for the inputs.

Reactions: CANEKiTA
Thanks for the inputs guys. Went this morning to try a distance run and couldn't get the **** external to stop charging the DJI battery. I topped off the DJI batteries before heading out, they both showed 100%. The externals were showing 17.4 (3.5x4) and every time I'd try, it would go back to charging. Finally i just powered on the aircraft using only the externals, let it sit for 5 mins to drain a bit and tried it again. Once the externals went down to 17.2 (<4.3 per cell), i was able to get it to not charge and take off. This is the v3 5200 from Horizons.

Once i get my (replacement) Venom fly LiHV next week, I'm going to play with those a bit and see if maybe its the split pack. For the money, really not happy with the split pack so far. When it works, i am averaging 26mins per flight, was really hoping for 30+. Running one single Venom fly 2300 lihv (with both strapped, but one was dead, had both to balance weight), i got 25 mins .. so i dont think the 5200's are as good as advertised possibly. Maybe I'm still breaking them in .. i dunno. This is similar to the results DB shared in the Horizon v3 thread. I dunno .. will email Horizons.

I also found that I have a motor going out, three motors are cool to the touch, one is **** hot. I've noticed it also leans to the side now when i floor it, and was not performing how it should. This could be related to a flip over I had at the coast a few weeks back and almost caused a crash today, it spun out of control. So looks like I'm cracking the shell either way. I think while I'm in there, I'm going to do the direct mod to the aircraft and just avoid this going forward. Super frustrating .. but thanks for the inputs.

Yup I got tired of jerking around with the battery trying to charge. I was wasting too much time trying to get the battery to behave and it doesn't leave a warm fuzzy feeling before setting out to go 10mi out. I had nightmares of it shutting down a few thousand feet away.

Can the guys who have done the aircraft power mod confirm that these are the right power leads to solder on? Circled below (stole image from a pic Mohan posted some time back). Just need a second look before i solder :)

XbE4qfy.jpg

That's the spot!

On the lead wires your soldering to those just tin them up with a lot of solder on the end and then sit them right on top of that DJI glob, and melt it all together, don't get discouraged it takes a minute to melt that DJI stuff, don't breathe it who knows what they use over there

Reactions: Digdat0
No I dont think they came loos, but something went wrong. And I think it has to do with tying in the wires like that. I wish I had not dune it.

I havent done the a/c mod on the p3's (I just did the battery since my P3's were under warranty)
But I have done many P2's in that same spot on its main board, and I've never had any issues.
But if someone's worried about it or not confident in it, they could always tie into the wire instead of messing with the board like I did with the P4
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468614073.047701.jpg

Just remove some of the rubber casing on the wire and solder directly to the wire, cover it with a little liquid tape

Last edited:
I havent done the a/c mod on the p3's (I just did the battery since my P3's were under warranty)
But I have done many P2's in that same spot on its main board, and I've never had any issues.
But if someone's worried about it or not confident in it, they could always tie into the wire instead of messing with the board like I did with the P4View attachment 59860
Just remove some of the rubber casing on the wire and solder directly to the wire, cover it with a little liquid tape
My P2 is wired same as you. I wish I had left my P3 be.

My P2 is wired same as you. I wish I had left my P3 be.

Can you expand a tad more maxwell? Why don't you recommend? You had the aircraft power mod done and had bad results? I followed the details on you losing your phantom (sorry!), i thought that was the battery you ran .. are you attributing that to power mod directly to the aircraft? I'd rather not do this, but screwing with the batteries is frustrating and i gotta switch out a motor either way, so figured while I'm under the hood might as well. Please share more! :)

I don't think there's no harm in modding the aircraft, if while soldering the leads on,
You pop the battery leads off the main board and then do not get them soldered back on properly, maybe there could be a harm there. And if you're worried about that and not confident that you can solder at that point, just strip some of the wire casing off of the axle battery wire lead and solder to that, then you don't have to mess with the DJI soldering point

Reactions: Digdat0
No issues soldering the main board. I have flown a bunch since doing all 3 of my birds. Many 40min flights on all of them. Just do clean soldering and you have nothing to worry about. I have been so comfortable with the bird side mod that I undid all of my battery mods.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468706670.390571.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468706692.285052.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468706709.821543.jpg

The PIII is the easiest one you're going to do! On the P2V plus you have to take off the Wi-Fi module and then get a really flat soldering job so the Wi-Fi module sit back down properly. On the P4 you got to take apart what amounts to a small computer and then you don't have a lot of room to solder or fit wires, and then it's a pain in the *** to put it back together without smashing some antenna wires

No issues soldering the main board. I have flown a bunch since doing all 3 of my birds. Many 40min flights on all of them. Just do clean soldering and you have nothing to worry about. I have been so comfortable with the bird side mod that I undid all of my battery mods. View attachment 59933
View attachment 59934
View attachment 59935
Ed, what does this allow you to do? Just power with externals instead of the main DJI battery?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak