Dual Battery Mod

Are you soldering the external harness right to the back of the large battery connector? I took a battery apart a couple weeks ago, not an easy task, they are installed quite securely. I'm getting ready to buy some external batteries for the mod.

Has anyone made a 3D printed external battery rack that screws onto the landing gear mounts?

I bought my two modded new DJI batteries from Paul at FPVCustoms.com who did the mod for me, so I can't help you with that. For the total of $300 each, he included a brand new modded DJI battery with parallel connectors out the back for the two external batteries, the fiberglass battery mounting plates for each side, which mount in between the strut screws and the aircraft, two velcro external battery straps to attach the externals to the underside of the plates, and two 1600 mAH Tenergy lipos, weighing 172g each. You can use any external batteries you want with it which fit the yellow connectors. The external battery charger is $65 extra on Amazon.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Not looking for an economic justification.

Adding the weight and the extended flight times along with a reduction in 'reserve' power increases stress.

Not malking a federal case here just saying the "Piper" will get paid.

This is not a condemnation of the efforts just an academic observation.

Yep, jus like flying the p2 bats down to 1% on distance runs every flight! Eventually the batteries lose charge quicker & quicker, then they dont allow full throttle, the bird starts havin voltage errors mid flight . Esc failures & crashes next.
If you dont think it will catch up , ask us who know!

Reactions: bobmyers
Not looking for an economic justification.

Adding the weight and the extended flight times along with a reduction in 'reserve' power increases stress.

Not malking a federal case here just saying the "Piper" will get paid.

This is not a condemnation of the efforts just an academic observation.
Fully understood, and risk accepted. :D Reward is well worth it! I'm already on "bonus time" on this bird, as my BMW mechanic likes to call it, when a part has exceeded the projected useful life, assigned to it by the manufacturer, before it fails. With the battery mod done to the battery, rather than the bird, I don't lose the cost of modding the bird itself, only the battery in it, and when a bird goes down, you always lose the battery anyway.
image.jpeg

So... 2400 mAH times 2 equals 4800mAH plus the p3p 4480mAH equals 9280mAH.
Why not just eliminate the p3p battery and use two HV60C5200S4 with DJI battery top? Or am I missing something here?? I don't know the weight of the p3p battery, but the Hyperion 5200mAH weigh in at 466gms each, or 932grms total.
Two 2800mAH weigh in at 516grms. Two 2400mAH weigh in at 406grms. So.. the p3p battery has to weigh what....365grms

FYI .... The Hyperion 2400 LIHV come in 60 c and 80c max. The P3 cannot use even the full capacity of the 60 C . Buying the 80c unit, each battery weighs 40gr more than the 60c. Using the 60 c x 2 will bring your P3 in at over 100gr more than the motors are rated for. Using the 80c x 2 which gives you no more juice than the 60s brings you in at nearly 200g over limit. Buy the 60c if your upgrading unless you enjoy the dead weight factor.

I bought my two modded new DJI batteries from Paul at FPVCustoms.com who did the mod for me, so I can't help you with that. For the total of $300 each, he included a brand new modded DJI battery with parallel connectors out the back for the two external batteries, the fiberglass battery mounting plates for each side, which mount in between the strut screws and the aircraft, two velcro external battery straps to attach the externals to the underside of the plates, and two 1600 mAH Tenergy lipos, weighing 172g each. You can use any external batteries you want with it which fit the yellow connectors. The external battery charger is $65 extra on Amazon.

I bought this exact kit from Paul except mine came with nano tech 1600s. I bought the charger he recommended from Amazon which works fine until you get into LIHV high performance batteries which I did almost immediately. You need a LIHV capable charger and XT 60 connectors. Bought mine direct from Hyperion out of Japan. No messing round and went straight to the source.

I bought this exact kit from Paul except mine came with nano tech 1600s. I bought the charger he recommended from Amazon which works fine until you get into LIHV high performance batteries which I did almost immediately. You need a LIHV capable charger and XT 60 connectors. Bought mine direct from Hyperion out of Japan. No messing round and went straight to the source.
Did you consider the MaxAmps 2800's at 248g each? They work off the same Amazon charger and weigh a few grams less than the 2800 Hyperions. That extra 800 mAH from using 2800's v 2400's only adds 90 grams total. So far, I haven't had any issues with them. About 10 flights total, of over 25 minutes.

I'm using the 2200 zippy compacts I landed with 17% and had a flight time of 26:34 . I flew a total 50 k ft . I can easily get over 27 mins with these batteries !!

I'm using the 2200 zippy compacts I landed with 17% and had a flight time of 26:34 . I flew a total 50 k ft . I can easily get over 27 mins with these batteries !!
Old motors but I'm sending my bird out Monday for an upgrade to the new motors . I think I can get 30 mins with the new motors .

How much for the upgrade to the new motors with labor, and who is doing it for you?
Hani from UAV repair is doing it. Send him an email or pm on here for the price. The price he gave me may be different. He's keeping my old motors and board.

Hani from UAV repair is doing it. Send him an email or pm on here for the price. The price he gave me may be different. He's keeping my old motors and board.
I am unable to PM you (errors out saying I can't start a conversation with you). Does Hani have a username here, or can you PM me with either the cost or his contact info? Just wanting to know how it compares to the cost of a new P3P bird, minus the cost of the battery and the transmitter. Is it necessary to the replace the board in order to use the new motors? Thanks!

I am unable to PM you (errors out saying I can't start a conversation with you). Does Hani have a username here, or can you PM me with either the cost or his contact info? Just wanting to know how it compares to the cost of a new P3P bird, minus the cost of the battery and the transmitter. Is it necessary to the replace the board in order to use the new motors? Thanks!
Yes you have to replace the board as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl