Dual Battery Mod

These are the carbon fibre bolt on battery mounts from fpvcustoms.com they simply use the existing screws from the P3s leg mounts.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448174819.033314.jpg

The soon to arrive Hyperion 2400mah LIHV 4s 60s will arrive shortly and will mount using the same or longer strips of identical Velcro straps which came from FPV Customs.

Keep us posted.

I sold my DBS Modded controller :( to a fellow member, now thinking of doing it all over again lol

Looks like an awesome setup, but you do realize those Sunhans 2 watt amps are technically not legal by FCC rules of the 2.4Ghz band, right? The power output is way over the legal limit. Chances are you'll never be caught, but be aware of you see some government looking black suburbans nearby with freaky looking antenna's on top. Run if you do.

Looks like an awesome setup, but you do realize those Sunhans 2 watt amps are technically not legal by FCC rules of the 2.4Ghz band, right? The power output is way over the legal limit. Chances are you'll never be caught, but be aware of you see some government looking black suburbans nearby with freaky looking antenna's on top. Run if you do.

Lol seems like a scene right out of a movie

I live in a different jurisdiction where the FCC has no authority to micro manage every aspect of nothingness. :)

(I also posted this in a separate thread as it is not really a dual battery mod set up yet)
I currently have a P3P old version, old shell, and a brand new P3P new shell, now motors.

I have modded batteries and usually fly with 2 extra batteries - but this I'll test tomorrow or later, depending on the weather.

Many say there is no difference between old and new motors. So I did a small "scientific" test.
Conditions: hovering 0.5-1.5 meters over a garden (grass). No wind (less than 1-2 km/h according to Healthydrones). P-GPS. Fly battery until 10% then let auto-land. It was cold outside, about 5° C, but batteries and bird were warm; I only brought them out a minute before flight.
Firmware old bird: 1.1.9. Firmware new bird: 1.3.20+ (stock). iOS DJI Go 2.3.0.

Results with stock battery.
Old P3P: 17:55.
New P3P: 21:11.
That's a difference of more than 17%

Old one: the motors were lukewarm after flight. New one: motors were cold.

Healthydrones old P3P: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Healhydrones new P3P: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Next up, tests with many different batteries, from 1300 mAh to 2800 mAh each.

NOTE: hovering uses more power than flying normally.

Last edited:
Reactions: D4T_PoM
I have tried the zippy compacts 2200 and 1300 25c 35c lipos. The 2200's came in at 26.43 minutes landed with 17% and the 1300's came in at 23.36 minutes with 20% landed. I ordered some 1600's I think they will be slightly better than 2200's with less stress on the bird with the less weight .All tests were done flying normal . I try to use about 75-80% throttle . That's the most efficient way to fly. It would be awesome to put together a spread sheet with all the types of batteries and results .

Alright.... First test flight on all 3 brand new batteries. ( new DJI p3 battery and 2 X nano tech 1600s. Not the most efficient flight with lots of ups and downs and a few turns but pretty amazing. No loss of signal at all...

What's the most guys are pushing these things distance wise round trip. I think I need to set up a way point or two and optimum throttle control some how.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1448311990.187667.jpg

Alright.... First test flight on all 3 brand new batteries. ( new DJI p3 battery and 2 X nano tech 1600s. Not the most efficient flight with lots of ups and downs and a few turns but pretty amazing. No loss of signal at all...

What's the most guys are pushing these things distance wise round trip. I think I need to set up a way point or two and optimum throttle control some how. View attachment 36449
Those batteries should get a little bit better after you run a few cycles through them. I noticed with mine it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th flight did I get the best results . Good luck and keep us updated !

Did more tests this morning, with 2x 2400 mAh batteries (LiHV Hyperion G6 30/60C) attached.
Old motors/shell: 23:05
New motors/shell: 26:43
Again, hovering, so normal flight times will be better. Also, it was cold (-2 °C) and with a little wind. So not ideal, but good for comparison.

I made a spreadsheet - for those that want to add their tests, PM me or send an e-mail to the address mentioned.
DJI Phantom 3 Professional battery comparison sheet - Google Sheets

Reactions: D4T_PoM

What's the most guys are pushing these things distance wise round trip. I think I need to set up a way point or two and optimum throttle control some how. View attachment 36449
I can add it to my spreadsheet. Old or new motors? Touch down at what batt %?

Did more tests this morning, with 2x 2400 mAh batteries (LiHV Hyperion G6 30/60C) attached.
Again, hovering, so normal flight times will be better. Also, it was cold (-2 °C) and with a little wind. So not ideal, but good for comparison.

I made a spreadsheet - for those that want to add their tests, PM me or send an e-mail to the address mentioned.
At those numbers it doesnt seem like the extra weight/mah ratio is worth it compared to lighter bird combos, can you weigh&post your total bird weight when doin these posts

Simply cause the total weight should maybe be considered for maintaining motor health/life.
This stuff is all new to me though so i could be way off base!!

Last edited:

Im a bit surprised by these results are the hyperions new batteries?I guess these are hovering results as you said longer actual flight times would be achieved.

I've got the new shell with the older motors. Got mine right in the middle of the change over.

Flight time with the brand new 3 virgin batteries came in at 23 min. When their broken in, surely they will be better. The Hyperion 2400s will most definitely carry me further than the virgin nano tech 1600s

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers