Dual Battery Mod

So is the answer to go back one firmware, maybe even on the same weekend given the weather is going to be the same for a couple days and check that theory.... Or to P threes two different firmwares

You lose flight time in ATT as opposed to GPS mode. I get over 32 minutes flight time in GPS mode I could do about 28 in ATT mode I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. A shift in wind conditions could explain maybe one flight but this happened 5-6 times I always fly into the wind on my first leg. I have done it so much I can tell about how fast I am going to go on the way back by my flight out. If I am running 25 or 26 mph on the way out I am going to be pushing 40 on the way back. After that firmware upgrade 35 was the best I could do
Thanks for the clarification. I'll hold off on the update! Never knew that ATTI mode reduced flying time, but if it's faster, I suppose that makes sense. If you are struggling to get back before the battery dies, apparently switching to ATTI won't help, because even though it flies faster, it also correspondingly reduces flying time. I won't do that any more. ATTI mode sure also does make it harder to land, if you forget to switch back into P-GPS! Been there! Done that!

Yeh they would work no probs the C rating is a bit of over kill but as for the bigger batteries I'v asked alot of long range p3 duel batt flyers what lipo's they are using to get like 30mins plus flight times and all I hear is the sound of silence.With those 2400mah lipo's I would imagine you would be getting close to 30mins flight time.
To much weight go hi volt 1800 mah

I have the Hyperions 2400's they are the bomb :) I think I will get those 1800's they weigh in at 167grams there is probably very little difference in flight time between the 2400's and 1800's.
Yes let me know how it works I have order mine it will be 2 weeks b4 I get them and it's winter now so testing with cold batts well u know know how
that goes fly safe

I just flew a flight and had a top speed of 38mph. I'm on the newest firmware.
I made it home pretty quick in RTH mode! Strange huh!
It was making good time so i left it in that mode all the way back. New firmware glitch???
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449386553.378528.jpg

Can anyone here point me to where I can buy the duel battery brackets? All I can find are the ones designed for the P 1 or 2. And I don't want to buy the whole kit as I can do the electrical mods myself. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone here point me to where I can buy the duel battery brackets? All I can find are the ones designed for the P 1 or 2. And I don't want to buy the whole kit as I can do the electrical mods myself. Thanks in advance!
The only ones currently available are the ones you can find that were designed for the P2, which are adaptable to the P3, with some minor drilling to make it them align with the P3 strut screw holes. Mine were already modified in that manner in my kit.

So is the answer to go back one firmware, maybe even on the same weekend given the weather is going to be the same for a couple days and check that theory.... Or to P threes two different firmwares
I just got another p3 it's on firmware 1.19 I'm going to test it this morning I also have another one that's on 1.41 I'll see how they both do head to head.

I originally got the bracket for the p2 but there was no way it would of worked so I just used that plastic plasters capping trim.....works perfect.

I've noticed when I play back the flight on the app like that it seems to show a much faster speed than what was actual. I'm not saying that's what happened here but for me the app isn't very accurate with the speed on the flight path replay.

Hello folks, I'm new to this community and I am a proud owner of a P3.
I have not been in this sport for long, in fact I upgraded from the Parrot to the P3.
Fantastic machine. I'm only replying to this thread because I want to know if I'm understanding dual battery operation,trying to get twice the time of flight with your machine. Here is the issue if I may say so, are we connecting the batteries in parallel , if so I cannot see the p3 gaining extra flight time. It will gain a couple of extra minutes but not twice the time. There has to be a trade off, weight is a big one and current. The motors are going to be working harder to do what you ask. You will not have the performance you want, and you risk burning your motors up. Bottom line is you will be adding weight, you have to pay for that. But again I might be reading into this wrong so forgive me.
But on the other hand the only solution I see if you must have duel battery operation, is to have two batteries on board, the first battery starts off and runs p3, then after the battery runs low you or automatically it will switch to the second battery. That in my opinion you will get clean extra time from fifteen minutes to thirty minutes. The trick is to build a circuit that can do this.
But you will still have a weight problem that you will be paying for no matter what. To me it's no different than a thirty car train being pulled by one locomotive going 40 miles max, and then you add a extra locomotive to the train and you expect double the speed. That's not going to happen the train will perhaps get up to 60-65 max, why the extra weight. It's all math.
The p3 out of the box was built to perform with as less weight but enough to do what we all,love about it. I'm not at all complaining , in fact its great fun modding, I'm just looking at the math.
I'm so what new to the p3 , but it is a blast flying it. I have ordered the fly away parachute system. Do I need to add it no sir , but it will be fun enjoying this great hobby, and the pictures are fantastic.
This is just my two cents, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks folks...Robert

I know I wasn't going this fast during my flight but the app shows a much higher speed .

Attachments

• 1449422561332.jpg
    1449422561332.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 430
I've noticed when I play back the flight on the app like that it seems to show a much faster speed than what was actual. I'm not saying that's what happened here but for me the app isn't very accurate with the speed on the flight path replay.
Yeah i agree its not always spot on. I was in rth mode its usually what 12mph.
It was probably a glitch .

Last edited:
Hello folks, I'm new to this community and I am a proud owner of a P3.
I have not been in this sport for long, in fact I upgraded from the Parrot to the P3.
Fantastic machine. I'm only replying to this thread because I want to know if I'm understanding dual battery operation,trying to get twice the time of flight with your machine. Here is the issue if I may say so, are we connecting the batteries in parallel , if so I cannot see the p3 gaining extra flight time. It will gain a couple of extra minutes but not twice the time. There has to be a trade off, weight is a big one and current. The motors are going to be working harder to do what you ask. You will not have the performance you want, and you risk burning your motors up. Bottom line is you will be adding weight, you have to pay for that. But again I might be reading into this wrong so forgive me.
But on the other hand the only solution I see if you must have duel battery operation, is to have two batteries on board, the first battery starts off and runs p3, then after the battery runs low you or automatically it will switch to the second battery. That in my opinion you will get clean extra time from fifteen minutes to thirty minutes. The trick is to build a circuit that can do this.
But you will still have a weight problem that you will be paying for no matter what. To me it's no different than a thirty car train being pulled by one locomotive going 40 miles max, and then you add a extra locomotive to the train and you expect double the speed. That's not going to happen the train will perhaps get up to 60-65 max, why the extra weight. It's all math.
The p3 out of the box was built to perform with as less weight but enough to do what we all,love about it. I'm not at all complaining , in fact its great fun modding, I'm just looking at the math.
I'm so what new to the p3 , but it is a blast flying it. I have ordered the fly away parachute system. Do I need to add it no sir , but it will be fun enjoying this great hobby, and the pictures are fantastic.
This is just my two cents, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks folks...Robert
Adding supplemental external batteries in parallel with the internal stock battery adds flight time with diminishing returns, after a certain point, because higher amperage externals weigh more than lower amperage externals. How you fly and the conditions also have a direct effect upon flight time. I was getting 15 minutes on average with my four stock batteries. Adding two 1600 mAH externals increased that to 23 minutes. Adding two lightweight 2800 mAh batteries, instead, increased flight time to 25 minutes. Finding the perfect set of externals that are light weight and add the most amperage is the key to the sweet spot and the holy grail. The newest motors and the newest P3P board also adds some two minutes to stock battery flight time. With a new P3P and the 2800 externals, I might be able to reach doubling my existing 15 minute stock flight time to 30 minutes. However, it still wouldn't be a doubling of the 17 minute stock flight time expected with the newest P3P iteration. Get a battery mod and try the 1600's yourself. $299 for a brand new stock battery, two 1600's that plug into the modded stock new battery, and the mounting plates to attach the externals. Order the kit from FPVCustoms.com and in 10 minutes, after installing the 2 plates, you'll be ready to go. Add a $65 charger for the externals, and I guarantee your current flight times will be 50% longer! :cool:

Reactions: phantom13flyer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus