Dual Battery Mod

Would it be okay to order from here for now, or would I save money if I wait for the stock at Midwest Horizon if I'm in the US?

Your cheapest option is to wait. In the meantime if you don't already have P3 batteries you want them to use then buy them for $120 a piece at B&H Photo. Then when Horizon Midwest in the US starts doing the mod you send them your batteries and pay for be labor for them to split 1 and modify the other. Getting the mod done from the UK is very very expensive and you have to wait anyway, shipping there shipping back, across the pond.

I'm not impressed.

~$222 for modified P3 battery plus battery mount plus 2x 2200 4S external batteries netted me a whopping.......

3 minutes of flight time.....

2x 1800 4S's are about the same, net 3 minutes.

Not very economical but even besides that 3 minutes is paltry considering an additional 4400 mAH were added to the stock battery capacity.

I hope the Horizon v3 Power Mod Kit becomes available in the US soon.

9.1 miles out and back with the Phantom 3 Horizon Power mod V3 36 min flight 6% battery left
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

IMG_0032.PNG IMG_0031.PNG

Reactions: Ed209
Balls of steel man...Landing with 6% :fearscream: Congrats
Thanks man but I think I turned back to the early 6% is another mile at least that's the problem. Crosswinds are too hard to predict how fast you going to go on the way back I was flying in between 25 and 32 miles per hour I thought it would be closer than that it's got more in it. Nine and a half miles at least I'll keep trying thanks man.

Reactions: Digdat0
Thanks man but I think I turned back to the early 6% is another mile at least that's the problem. Crosswinds are too hard to predict how fast you going to go on the way back I was flying in between 25 and 32 miles per hour I thought it would be closer than that it's got more in it. Nine and a half miles at least I'll keep trying thanks man.

Yeah I hear ya. I try a test run before really pushing it but sometimes the winds are different beyond the area that you did test run. Or god forbid wind shift.

Yeah I hear ya. I try a test run before really pushing it but sometimes the winds are different beyond the area that you did test run. Or god forbid wind shift.
I always do myself as well but its still hard to judge with heavy gusts like I had today. Weather reports on wind conditions are terrible it was suppose to be 2 knots today turned out being 10 to 15 mph.

Good job Unknown.
As my Pm to ya showed, your flight went a lot better than mine today. But mine was the maiden flight with the 1.19, and it was stock battery so that story don't belong in this thread.

Last edited:
I'm not impressed.

~$222 for modified P3 battery plus battery mount plus 2x 2200 4S external batteries netted me a whopping.......

3 minutes of flight time.....

2x 1800 4S's are about the same, net 3 minutes.

Not very economical but even besides that 3 minutes is paltry considering an additional 4400 mAH were added to the stock battery capacity.

I hope the Horizon v3 Power Mod Kit becomes available in the US soon.
It is available right now on the mid west site

http://horizonfpvantennas.us/product/phantom-3-power-mod-v3/

If you have your own packs I believe it's only $94 for the mod that's not a bad price.

Good job unknown
Thanks man I don't know y 1.19 would it work for you properly that firmware was my bread and butter for a long time now I'm stuck on 1.3 2 thanks to those thieves that stole my drones and controllers. I no there's no speed cap like there is on later firmware on 1.19 there isn't on 1.32 either. 1.41 and later is where you run into that. Hope it works out for you bro I'm at a lightning game right now. I'll message you later bro hopefully it'll work better for you next flight

I just want to let everybody know something that William from horizon told me he released the power Mod v 3 to his Midwest branch to get the cost of the mod down for everybody it's a reasonable price. I know if he starts seeing other companies copying and selling this mod he's going to pull it from the US store and keep it in house in the UK. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

With all due respect to William and his efforts to figure out the power mod V3. If the design isn't patented, then there's nothing he can do to stop anyone from duplicating. If he's going to pull it from US market based on the sole reason of people copying it, that's a little silly. Competition is good. If it's not cost effective for his business then that's another story. I appreciate him bringing it to the US and even though I am doing my own, I will probably order from him for my 2nd set.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
With all due respect to William and his efforts to figure out the power mod V3. If the design isn't patented, then there's nothing he can do to stop anyone from duplicating. If he's going to pull it from US market based on the sole reason of people copying it, that's a little silly. Competition is good. If it's not cost effective for his business then that's another story. I appreciate him bringing it to the US and even though I am doing my own, I will probably order from him for my 2nd set.
I know Ed I was just asked to mention it that's all.

Did you solder the wires to the tabs? You need special solder since the tabs are aluminum.
All soldered no problems what will you be charging the batts at.i charged at 1.5A just to get them into storage.still need heat shrink wrap and need to make a series conectors or order the hobby king tx60 series with no wires.my problem is I have all my batts modded for parallel 4s.

All soldered no problems what will you be charging the batts at.i charged at 1.5A just to get them into storage.still need heat shrink wrap and need to make a series conectors or order the hobby king tx60 series with no wires.my problem is I have all my batts modded for parallel 4s.

Interesting. I was able to get the pos and neg tabs soldered together no problem but the copper wire doesn't bond to the aluminum tab. I tried some light sanding on the tab but no luck. Maybe tomorrow I'll try a little solvent on a qtip. Anyways, I have some aluminum solder coming in Monday if that doesn't work.

I plan to charge them as 2 separate 2S packs. I haven't done the math yet to determine the proper charge power but I think 1C on a 4480 mAh pack is about 4.4A. I'm not going to try and push it with the charging. I'll also look at the DJI charger and see what that's doing to compare.

I have shrink wrap and everything. Ready to complete the job but I just want to make sure I have a proper bond on those tabs.

I'm going to make a series Y cable to combine the 2 packs and they will plug into my battery. Leaving the other connection empty on the FPV customs battery mod.

my problem is I have all my batts modded for parallel 4s.

What's the problem? You have the FPV customs battery right? With 2 xt60 connectors hanging off the back? Just connect your new 2S dji split in series and then connect that to one of the xt60s off the main dji battery.
Think of it like this: the new split batteries are still one big dji battery when combined in series. So you just plug them into your main. No issues.

Something like this... This effectively makes it 1 big battery again.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1457235357.107003.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72