Downlink Video completely unstable since upgrade

I agree with you, the only reason I'm not upgrading is because 1.1.9 is good for me.

I have had a lot of flights and it has not let me down so far.

I'm confused as some are saying you can update straight from 1.1.9 to 1.4 and only update the RC to 1.3.2 and some are saying what you are saying, to update to 1.3.2 and cycle through all 4 batteries and then do the 1.4 upgrade.

Reading through the forum I can see the 1.4 firmware having issues with video downlink for iOS users, I went and bought and iPad Mini 2 wifi+cell because of the fact that the DJI GO app on my Note 4 kept bugging out towards the end of a flight and had slight lags, now it seems like the tables have turned and iOS users are having downlink issues.

I currently fly my P3 with 1.1.9 firmware and DJI GO app version prior to the new one that came out on 7th September, it flies like a charm and have no issues.

From your recommendation you would advise for me to update to 1.3.2 (P3, controller and all 4 batteries) and then if I want I should upgrade to 1.4?
Not an actual recommendation. Just wanted to point out what people might be missing if they completely skip 1.3.2.

I use the same iPad mini you have and had experienced complete video freezes from overheating of the iPad when running more than 2 batteries back to back. Supposedly the Go App resolved that.

There don't seem to be any serious issues in updating to 1.3.2. That's why I did it and haven't found any problems. And it does appear that staying reasonably current with the updates makes the next one go easier.

But if you do it and it doesn't work out, at least I live far enough away from you that it would cost you as much as a new P3 in airfare to come strangle me.

Try this for the heck of it.

1. Connect Cable to Device
2. Close all running apps on your Device and set to Airplane mode
3. Power up the RC only
4. Power up the Phantom and give it a moment to connect to the RC.
5. Open the DJI Go App and enter Camera View.

Of course hit Trust this computer if prompted along the way.

I got a break in the weather for a hour and as unlikely as I it was for me to believe this new procedure would make any difference, like you said, I tried it just for the heck of it.
Believe it or not, I got video immediately upon opening the App and entering camera view. It remained rock solid for the 12 minute flight and to a maximum distance of over 4200 feet away from home point.
Now I hope it is repeatable.
Thanks for suggesting doing something differently than I have since receiving the P3P in early May.

Others should try this startup procedure and see if makes any difference.
Thanks again dysan911.

Reactions: Lori and Oso
Cool. No problem. Let me know how it goes with further testing. I discovered a few FW updates back that some weird things can pop up all in the sequence of the pre-flight procedure. I came up with that one which seemed to resolve some inconsistencies in the past and i've stuck with it ever since.

I sincerely hope that cures the issue for you as well as any others who might be experiencing the same problem..

Reactions: Jeff48920
Not an actual recommendation. Just wanted to point out what people might be missing if they completely skip 1.3.2.

I use the same iPad mini you have and had experienced complete video freezes from overheating of the iPad when running more than 2 batteries back to back. Supposedly the Go App resolved that.

There don't seem to be any serious issues in updating to 1.3.2. That's why I did it and haven't found any problems. And it does appear that staying reasonably current with the updates makes the next one go easier.

But if you do it and it doesn't work out, at least I live far enough away from you that it would cost you as much as a new P3 in airfare to come strangle me.

Lol

iPad mini 2, 32 channel hack and new firmware. 1st flight since, no issues at all. Everything ran smooth. Went out just under a mile at about 200' high.

Reactions: Jeff48920
I got a break in the weather for a hour and as unlikely as I it was for me to believe this new procedure would make any difference, like you said, I tried it just for the heck of it.
Believe it or not, I got video immediately upon opening the App and entering camera view. It remained rock solid for the 12 minute flight and to a maximum distance of over 4200 feet away from home point.
Now I hope it is repeatable.
Thanks for suggesting doing something differently than I have since receiving the P3P in early May.

Others should try this startup procedure and see if makes any difference.
Thanks again dysan911.

I had updated on the 7th and tried the POI mode and after I flew my circle around my point of interest I exited and went back to PGPS and that is when my video downlink went bonkers and I was only 400 feet away. So I did the 32 channel deal but I also saw Dysan's suggestion to you so I did everything in that order as well and flew it out 3600 ft before I had to bring it back but not because of video downlink. So when I get time (today still) I have to try to put it in f mode and do something with POI and jump back out to see if it is still working fine. I was thinking the new flight mode jumping in and out had something to do with it. But it is good to know I can fly it now. Thanks.

Edit: Tried Dysan's method and flew out 2400' fine video put it in f-mode and circled a point of interest then exited f mode and into P-GPS flew to another location 1300' away and set 4 way points 500' apart and then flew through them and back to p-GPS and flew it home and I don't recall one glitch!

Last edited:
I did this:

3. Power up the RC only

and it worked, the jerky ness is gone. For some reason my gimbal roll is a little jerky I will re calibrate it hope it helps. I am just really happy to use the new 2.7k/25 and have it work good.

I did this:

3. Power up the RC only

and it worked, the jerky ness is gone. For some reason my gimbal roll is a little jerky I will re calibrate it hope it helps. I am just really happy to use the new 2.7k/25 and have it work good.
well it worked one time. the next time it didnt it was jerky again. crap

Reactions: Mike Mauk
There appear to be a whole lot of threads over on DJI forums about this issue. Hopefully DJI will realize there is an issue and address it soon.

I got a chance to fly this afternoon for about an hour. I used 2 different controllers, stock antenna setup and FPVLR Advanced with booster amps. I did not have any video problems with either one. Everything smooth as silk. Used iPad Air 2 and also my iPhone 6+ too. No video downlink problems at all.

I got a chance to fly this afternoon for about an hour. I used 2 different controllers, stock antenna setup and FPVLR Advanced with booster amps. I did not have any video problems with either one. Everything smooth as silk. Used iPad Air 2 and also my iPhone 6+ too. No video downlink problems at all.
sounds encouraging!

I am wondering if the problem might be solar radiation. I checked and it was high Monday afternoon when I flew mine and had problems with the video. Yesterday when I flew the k index was at 4 but a couple hours later when Mike said his second flight had problems it was up to 6 at that time. I am a land surveyor and use GPS for land surveys and I do have a very hard times when the k-index is 5 or over. It is hard for the survey GPS units to maintain a steady lock. But the this would mess with any communication signals.

I use the Magnetology apple app (free). Right now it is 5 and forcast at 5 for next couple days.

I am wondering if the problem might be solar radiation. I checked and it was high Monday afternoon when I flew mine and had problems with the video. Yesterday when I flew the k index was at 4 but a couple hours later when Mike said his second flight had problems it was up to 6 at that time. I am a land surveyor and use GPS for land surveys and I do have a very hard times when the k-index is 5 or over. It is hard for the survey GPS units to maintain a steady lock. But the this would mess with any communication signals.

I use the Magnetology apple app (free). Right now it is 5 and forcast at 5 for next couple days.

Probably not. There have been multiple threads here and elsewhere about this and there have been no reports of negative influences by Kp index.

Well I was feeling pretty good about the new startup procedure and then today, I had another "no signal" failure even though the signal strength registered Good.
While the RC and the bird remained on, I exited the app and killed it. I removed the cable and waited about 10 seconds. I reconnected and confirmed "Trust..." I had good solid video out to just over a mile (5417 ft). Lost video (No Signal) when I realized I was under 250 ft AGL. I raised altitude to 350 and started getting intermittent video. As it returned I started getting more and more solid video until it remained on. I took the bird out to 3500 ft then and did not lose signal.
This still just isn't right but I will keep fiddling with it.

Probably not. There have been multiple threads here and elsewhere about this and there have been no reports of negative influences by Kp index.
I believe that's because no one would even "think" to associate geomagnetic storms and solar flares with their P3 acting weird. And there is no evidence, simply because no one has ever undertaken to do a specific study on it! So the naysayers can proclaim boldly that it doesn't effect our birds, but it's only an opinion. My opinion is that it can have an effect. Maybe one day someone will do a scientific study on the effect it has on small drones. Then one opinion can change. :cool:

I believe that's because no one would even "think" to associate geomagnetic storms and solar flares with their P3 acting weird. And there is no evidence, simply because no one has ever undertaken to do a specific study on it! So the naysayers can proclaim boldly that it doesn't effect our birds, but it's only an opinion. My opinion is that it can have an effect. Maybe one day someone will do a scientific study on the effect it has on small drones. Then one opinion can change. :cool:

Actually I used to be religious about not flying with Kp index above 4. However based on my perfect flight yesterday at Kp6 and my problems today at Kp2 I sincerely doubt the index is affecting my specific issue.
Your mileage may vary.

Just downloaded the previous version of the FW ahead of my coming road trip just in case I have downlink issues on the road. Rather have a reliable video link than the new features.

Actually I used to be religious about not flying with Kp index above 4. However based on my perfect flight yesterday at Kp6 and my problems today at Kp2 I sincerely doubt the index is affecting my specific issue.
Your mileage may vary.

The KP index was at 4 yesterday until the later afternoon when it jumped to 6 I flew mine around 1:30 PM Central Standard time when it was a 4 and everything was fine. Then Mike said his was fine. Then he flew later in afternoon and he had problems and it was at a 6 then. So it was not 6 all day yesterday just late afternoon evening. I think there is something not right with the video link but the problem is exacerbated by the higher magnetic storm periods because I have not had any problems on previous version.

The KP index was at 4 yesterday until the later afternoon when it jumped to 6 I flew mine around 1:30 PM Central Standard time when it was a 4 and everything was fine. Then Mike said his was fine. Then he flew later in afternoon and he had problems and it was at a 6 then. So it was not 6 all day yesterday just late afternoon evening. I think there is something not right with the video link but the problem is exacerbated by the higher magnetic storm periods because I have not had any problems on previous version.
Understood. I however did check Hover after my flight yesterday and it reported 6.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT