Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

can't wait for Jake to put together some boosters and antenna so these issues will go away for ever......
We need a battery mod first, to take full advantage of the stock 4.3+ mile range. That is already the limiting factor, even at 25 minutes, when you can't fly faster than 30mph to achieve that battery life. With more flight time from a battery mod, a longer range can be considered. More range without a battery mod won't help much.

Reactions: smiller
We need a battery mod first, to take full advantage of the stock 4.3+ mile range. That is already the limiting factor, even at 25 minutes, when you can't fly faster than 30mph to achieve that battery life. With more flight time from a battery mod, a longer range can be considered. More range without a battery mod won't help much.
There's a guy, on the forums, that went the 4.3 miles and came back with 20-25% battery life.

Reactions: Hook9773
There's a guy, on the forums, that went the 4.3 miles and came back with 20-25% battery life.
And if he ran into an unexpected headwind on the return then he might not have made it. The point is that if all you can do it get somewhere and then have to fly straight back immediately while praying your battery lasts then it isn't really useful range. Until we have more endurance there isn't much point in a capability for more distance.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
And if he ran into an unexpected headwind on the return then he might not have made it. The point is that if all you can do it get somewhere and then have to fly straight back immediately while praying your battery lasts then it isn't really useful range. Until we have more endurance there isn't much point in worrying about even more range.
True, but I think the cap at 4.3 miles is overkill for 75% of the pilots out there, as most of them will never even get close to that. Just saying.

If you want longer range than you can build a custom quad. I have 2 quads I built myself. Flying on 433, and have done distance tests with it. Capped the range at 34 miles. Of course the cap was on an rc plane, but I put the 433 on my quad for signal penetration, not distance...as it would never make even half of that distance on a single battery.

If you want longer range than you can build a custom quad. I have 2 quads I built myself. Flying on 433, and have done distance tests with it. Capped the range at 34 miles.
Now that's impressive. My knees start to shake at 2 miles :)

Now that's impressive. My knees start to shake at 2 miles :)
Oh I have never flown a quad to 2 miles, but performing micro range tests on micro mode tests long range distance. The point I'm trying to make is that I think the distance for the p4p is more than enough for the majority of users. People that want more, usually know more about drones. Which they should experience the fun in building them part by part.

The last quad I built I spent around $1600. It still is a beast. I need to sell it.

Understood. That wasn't my point. I have flown nearly 12 miles (57,500 feet) in an oval and returned with 10%, but you can't linger at your destination, and have to fly at constant 30mph throughout for a 25 minute flight. I would love an extra 5 minutes or more from a battery mod to explore and linger, and for a margin of safety, and battery redundancy.

Understood. That wasn't my point. I have flown nearly 12 miles (57,500 feet) in an oval and returned with 10%, but you can't linger at your destination, and have to fly at constant 30mph throughout for a 25 minute flight. I would love an extra 5 minutes or more from a battery mod to explore and linger, and for a margin of safety, and battery redundancy.

5 minutes extra won't do much... if you want a margin of safety then just fly for 5 min less? I'm not getting your point of 5 extra minutes being so important?

5 minutes extra won't do much... if you want a margin of safety then just fly for 5 min less? I'm not getting your point of 5 extra minutes being so important?
It might seem insignificant because it's only 20% more flight time, but it can be very significant. Assume it takes 10 minutes to reach your point of interest/destination and 10 minutes to return. That leaves 5 minutes for shooting. If I need/want 10 minutes of shooting time at the destination, that requires two round trips to get 10 minutes in, taking up 50 minutes total flying, and another few minutes in between flights to swap cards and batteries and relaunch. If I can extend my flight time by a mere 5 minutes per flight, I have doubled my shooting time at my destination and can complete it in one trip, taking up exactly 30 minutes, cutting my total time almost in half!

Now, assume it takes 12 minutes to get there, and 12 minutes to return, leaving only 1 minute for shooting. If I need/want 6 minutes of shooting at the destination, that requires six round trips, or almost 3 hours total. If I can now extend my flight time by a mere five minutes, I can complete my task of 6 minutes of shooting at a location 12 minutes away in a single flight, saving two and a half hours. The farther away your subject is, the more impactful the extra minutes of flight time can be! :cool:

It might seem insignificant because it's only 20% more flight time, but it can be very significant. Assume it takes 10 minutes to reach your point of interest/destination and 10 minutes to return. That leaves 5 minutes for shooting. If I need/want 10 minutes of shooting time at the destination, that requires two round trips to get 10 minutes in, taking up 50 minutes total flying, and another few minutes in between flights to swap cards and batteries and relaunch. If I can extend my flight time by a mere 5 minutes per flight, I have doubled my shooting time at my destination and can complete it in one trip, taking up exactly 30 minutes, cutting my total time almost in half!

Now, assume it takes 12 minutes to get there, and 12 minutes to return, leaving only 1 minute for shooting. If I need/want 6 minutes of shooting at the destination, that requires six round trips, or almost 3 hours total. If I can now extend my flight time by a mere five minutes, I can complete my task of 6 minutes of shooting at a location 12 minutes away in a single flight, saving two and a half hours. The farther away your subject is, the more impactful the extra minutes of flight time can be! :cool:
Understandable...but technically we could want 5 more min of flight time no matter what size the battery is. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your point. On my custom quads, I have a 500 mah battery that is twice as big, and weighs twice as much, as the dji battery. It only has a flying time of 15 min. My smaller, faster, quad only can fly 5 min per battery.

I agree with you, but the point I was trying to make, without sounding combative, is that the dji battery does amazing for the size and weight of the drone.

So, is there anyone here using dbsmod maxxrange or similar, forcing the control over 2.4g instead of auto or 5.8, if so, whats the range. Read the thread, i don't even have a p4p and i dont think i ever do if its the range is this shitty.

So, is there anyone here using dbsmod maxxrange or similar, forcing the control over 2.4g instead of auto or 5.8, if so, whats the range. Read the thread, i don't even have a p4p and i dont think i ever do if its the range is this shitty.
4 mile range is shitty? Also you don't need a mod to choose 2.4 or 5.8, it's user selectable...

4 mile range is shitty? Also you don't need a mod to choose 2.4 or 5.8, it's user selectable...

It is, low to medium range (imo) but it's more than ok for stock range and for most of the people, but i do see many unhappy fellas here.. Freq needs to be locked with current aftermarket antennas, only fpvlr has set for it with 5.8 .. but 2.4 goes longer. Anyway, i'm not much interested at stock range, i'm interested how far it can go with external battery and good panel/boosters. But seems like most of the people just complains about range, but does absolutely nothing but whine about it.. :( is there dedicated thread for 'modding', if there is didn't find it, so asking here..

PHANTOM 4 PRO ANTENNAS Archives - FPVLR <- if someone wants to do something about it, please do and report.. i'm selfish and dont want to buy p4p if it can't have better range than p3p, which starts to suck in all possible ways but range-wise. Had this style ^ antennas, few actually, but not using anymore because there is better ones, but just for the 2.4 (so, freq, locked)

Last edited:
Understandable...but technically we could want 5 more min of flight time no matter what size the battery is. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand your point. On my custom quads, I have a 500 mah battery that is twice as big, and weighs twice as much, as the dji battery. It only has a flying time of 15 min. My smaller, faster, quad only can fly 5 min per battery.

I agree with you, but the point I was trying to make, without sounding combative, is that the dji battery does amazing for the size and weight of the drone.
Agreed. Really happy the P4P battery has added 10% without any additional weight, and is also usable in the P4! It definitely simplifies deployability, as external batteries are a genuine hassle to deal with, with all the plugging and unplugging, and extra charging, and needing to unstrap and restrap them if replacing them in the field. Swapping just a stock battery alone is so much easier!:cool:

Reactions: AnchorageAk
Battery technology will probably improve over the next year to provide us with more time in the air. Close to 30 minutes is great on the stock P4P battery but I'd be really happy if I could fly for 45-60 minutes before having to land. I won't be surprised if there are batteries that are able to do that in the next few years.

I haven't researched this yet. what is the battery mod that I've seen mentioned in this thread?

I haven't researched this yet. what is the battery mod that I've seen mentioned in this thread?
Straps on two external batteries of your choosing in parallel with the internal battery, by cracking open the shell, and soldering in new leads that come out through holes drilled in each side of the aircraft, to attach the external batteries, mounted on each side below the strut connections. Costs $250 for the mod, plus batteries, and a charger, and voids your DJI warranty, so only do it with an aircraft that you know has no issues that might require a future warranty repair! :eek: See FPVCustoms.com

Reactions: MassGuy
Achieved a 6-km run yesterday with my new P4P. Knowing a bit of tailwind on the way out, I turned back earlier than necessary. The DJI battery warning kicked in at 4.8km, at least 2km margin on the conservative side. Once the RTH kicked in, the signals became bad right away. Anyone knows why? Signal on MPs would not be so sensitive w.r.t. the orientation of the antenna or the direction of the flight.

Attachments

• HD signal loss.jpeg
    HD signal loss.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 351
Achieved a 6-km run yesterday with my new P4P. Knowing a bit of tailwind on the way out, I turned back earlier than necessary. The DJI battery warning kicked in at 4.8km, at least 2km margin on the conservative side. Once the RTH kicked in, the signals became bad right away. Anyone knows why? Signal on MPs would not be so sensitive w.r.t. the orientation of the antenna or the direction of the flight.
Smart Return to Home is very conservative and kicks in at 65% remaining battery, when flying straight out. After canceling it, it will fly as far away as you like, within signal range, out to almost 5 miles, which is the upper limit to still make it back home, for a 53,000 foot round trip, on a new full P4P battery.

Reactions: fiberdude
Thanks for the quick info for a P4P newbie, @GadgetGuy -- The DJI warning doesn't take into account the wind conditions, which can be problematic or even fatal on occasions.

Why would the lightbridge system so sensitive to antenna orientations on both the RC and the aircraft?(presumably, the latter is the cause of signal dependence on flight directions). MP's occusync seems to be much more robust.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart