Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

First off, Merry Christmas.
Second, many of these posts just instigate bad behavior in our community, whether hobbyist or professional. Personally, I think anyone running to max range with any "drone" (WAY out of VLOS) is an accident looking for a place to happen. There is absolutely no reason you should be putting people at risk. Manned aircraft regularly fly lower than you think and it's going to be one of these ignorant loudmouths that strike one... it's not even a matter if 'if' anymore, but when. We ALL operate under the see and avoid concept. You can't 'see' anything 1+ miles away from your RC location.
Please don't share this ignorance with people new to this hobby/community. I really do not understand why it's so hard for those with years of experience to set a good example for the masses that don't.
And we wonder why this hobby/industry is always under such negative scrutiny...

*** PLEASE READ ABOVE by AerialZ ***

There will be cowboys everywhere that feel entitled to act/do what they wish. Please don't follow their examples. Be smart, be considerate, be respectful and FLY SAFELY.

You're missing the point. You still had to buy the iPad.
It's an asset that is already paid for. It can be used with all of the DJI drones, not just one. It can also be used for many other purposes and is fully integrated with my iPhone and all my other Apple devices. It also isn't running a buggy customized version of Android DJI GO 4. It also supports 3rd party SDK's. It's also the brightest screen among all other Apple devices. Oh, and it can also be resold to recover a major portion of the asset cost. Try that with the integrated P4P+ screen! :cool:

Last edited:
How much was the sunk cost? Because in this case the cost can be recovered by selling the iPad. Typically sunk costs are such things as software or advertising. Shall,I go on?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
First off, Merry Christmas.
Second, many of these posts just instigate bad behavior in our community, whether hobbyist or professional. Personally, I think anyone running to max range with any "drone" (WAY out of VLOS) is an accident looking for a place to happen. There is absolutely no reason you should be putting people at risk. Manned aircraft regularly fly lower than you think and it's going to be one of these ignorant loudmouths that strike one... it's not even a matter if 'if' anymore, but when. We ALL operate under the see and avoid concept. You can't 'see' anything 1+ miles away from your RC location.
Please don't share this ignorance with people new to this hobby/community. I really do not understand why it's so hard for those with years of experience to set a good example for the masses that don't.
And we wonder why this hobby/industry is always under such negative scrutiny...

I understand what you are saying but most of us fly over the county side. Does it make a difference if the aircraft goes down 600ft away as opposed to 6 miles? Either way its going down. Truth is no matter how safe we all are more regulations are coming. Is it because of us? NO! The hobbyist will be used as a scapegoat and even the hobbyist will turn on each other like with you for example. Airspace will be allocated for corporations to use and that means severe restrictions on us. Enjoy theses days people.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I understand what you are saying but most of us fly over the county side. Does it make a difference if the aircraft goes down 600ft away as opposed to 6 miles? Either way its going down. Truth is no matter how safe we all are more regulations are coming. Is it because of us? NO! The hobbyist will be used as a scapegoat and even the hobbyist will turn on each other like with you for example. Airspace will be allocated for corporations to use and that means severe restrictions on us. Enjoy theses days people.
There will be an "incident" (even if they have to fabricate one) that will get the congress to cave and repeal their previous law that said the FAA can't regulate hobbyist flight.

How much was the sunk cost? Because in this case the cost can be recovered by selling the iPad. Typically sunk costs are such things as software or advertising. Shall,I go on?
Well, that's yet another benefit! Thanks for contributing! :cool:
My cost for the 128GB Wifi only iPadPro 9.7" was $500. Even used, it's still worth more than that today. Apple iPad Pro 128GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7in - Space Gray (Latest Model) - GRADE A (R) 888462762670 | eBay

[Original post edited to reflect your correction]

Last edited:
After seeing this I just test flew for distance. Got out to just over 2 miles with full signal in Peoria AZ, which has a TON of business and homes for interference. I came back at that point because I think the P4P proved it goes FAR!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have tried everything and I'm getting disappointed with the range. I have used 5.8 auto and 2.4 auto with skyreat windsurfer range booster. I have not been able to get past 3100 feet in distance. I have been reading other post and for the phantom 4 pro I should be getting way more distance. I live in a suburban area in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Have you tried it without the windsurfer first?
Good point. The windsurfer can make it difficult to make sure the antennas remain perpendicular to the ground, while moving around and tipping the RC, and can also cause an iPad Air 2/Pro to make contact with the antenna tips. I use the smaller windsurfer, rather than the larger one, for exactly this reason. My range with the larger windsurfer was actually less than without, because of all the above mentioned issues.

Actually yes. I found the problem. I went up in altitude for a better direct line to craft as there is a lot of trees. I went about a mile with full bars. Seems much better.

Actually yes. I found the problem. I went up in altitude for a better direct line to craft as there is a lot of trees. I went about a mile with full bars. Seems much better.

Also i dont know if the skyreat range boosters will work right with the 5.8 part of the antenna might cause less distance ....earlier phantom models were all 2.4 so both reflectors could be same size now that 5.8 is introduced might need a different size reflector on that side of it

I have only been able to get 2k feet away before losing radio frequency. I tried it both in 2.4 and 5.8.

I am not confident that it wasn't the terrain causing the issue. I need to find a wide open flat area to really test it.

Also do you put your antenna like this || or like this //

I made it out to 16,400 feet, perfect signal all the way out. Forgot I had the default max distance setting on haha! In the same location with my P4, I could only get 2500 feet. My P4P is a huge upgrade! I was also using 5.8ghz.

How high where you Jake?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl