Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

Thanks for the quick info for a P4P newbie, @GadgetGuy -- The DJI warning doesn't take into account the wind conditions, which can be problematic or even fatal on occasions.

Why would the lightbridge system so sensitive to antenna orientations on both the RC and the aircraft?(presumably, the latter is the cause of signal dependence on flight directions). MP's occusync seems to be much more robust.
Actually, it does take wind into account, as it leaves plenty of margin for error, and will land with over 30% remaing battery in most cases, if Smart Return to Home isn't cancelled. I land with 10% remaining all the time. The farther away you are, the more critical the antenna orientation becomes. Adding a cheap windsurfer will concentrate the signal better, and also keep the two antennas parallel and vertical, which is best for long range.

Actually, it does take wind into account, as it leaves plenty of margin for error, and will land with over 30% remaing battery in most cases, if Smart Return to Home isn't cancelled. I land with 10% remaining all the time. The farther away you are, the more critical the antenna orientation becomes. Adding a cheap windsurfer will concentrate the signal better, and also keep the two antennas parallel and vertical, which is best for long range.

Do you also fly an Mavic Pro, BTW?

On my last trip to Bavaria, on a sunny but windy day, I almost lost my MP as the DJI warning never showed up at the point of no return. When I manually turned back around 4km, it was too late. I had to do an emergency landing in an Austrian corn field.

outbound.jpeg
return.jpeg
Found this on youtube. Much better than what is being reported.

Same thing seems to happen in this Chinese video, @GadgetGuy --- DJI warning came up at 2.77 km, and the pilot was able to push it to 5.5 km.

Check out the HD signal changes before and after the aircraft completes a 180-degree turn.

Do you also fly an Mavic Pro, BTW?

On my last trip to Bavaria, on a sunny but windy day, I almost lost my MP as the DJI warning never showed up at the point of no return. When I manually turned back around 4km, it was too late. I had to do an emergency landing in an Austrian corn field.
Yes. Been there, done that, except my emergency ditch of the MP, after encountering an extreme headwind on the return at 62% remaining battery, was on a military base on a holiday (ditching in the ocean I had been flying over along the coast didn't make much sense!), making recovery that much more difficult. Kind of like a foreign country! Fortunately, I knew exactly where it was, and they were good about driving me onto the base to retrieve it. After reviewing the video, they decided nothing sensitive had been recorded, and let me and my new MP go home! :eek:

Love Bavaria! Grew up there! Kloster Andechs has the best beer and views! :cool:

What a story, @GadgetGuy !! Sounds like you may have a military family background, and they recognized you as one of their own:)

What a story, @GadgetGuy !! Sounds like you may have a military family background, and they recognized you as one of their own:)
I kept calling the Mavic "my toy", and had the wife with me, so the terrotist threat to national security was minimal. The holiday staff was probably also more lax than the big brass who all had the day off, and didn't want to come in on the holiday, but were managing the incident from home. The Duty Lieutenant, a woman, said her husband was still on the waiting list for his own Mavic, so she was empathetic, as they were scarce as hen's teeth back then, She understood my reticence for a legal water landing! Nice lady! :cool:

Last edited:
I would think alot depends on the wind you encounter on your trip.
Agreed! My flights to 10% remaining battery are all between 52,000 and 55,000 feet each, which is over 10 miles, so 8.6 miles roundtrip with 20-25% remaining is easily doable with LOS signal, and minimal wind.

Agreed! My flights to 10% remaining battery are all between 52,000 and 55,000 feet each, which is over 10 miles, so 8.6 miles roundtrip with 20-25% remaining is easily doable with LOS signal, and minimal wind.
The only real variable in any long distance flight is the wind , my longest to date flying straight out and back was 38,xxx ft and I landed with 13% and the only real difference between yours and mine was the wind resistance encountered , no ?

The only real variable in any long distance flight is the wind , my longest to date flying straight out and back was 38,xxx ft and I landed with 13% and the only real difference between yours and mine was the wind resistance encountered , no ?
Depends. The flight speed also needs to be optimal for the aircraft as well. With the P4P, I fly full throttle with OA turned on, which limits speed to 30mph, which is very close to the optimal 31-33 mph established by long distance flyers, without needing to continually monitor speed, except to note headwinds when the speed drops below 30mph, which I don't compensate for in any way. If you fly with OA off in P mode, or in Sport mode, flying 35+ mph, you will fry your battery far faster than the additional distance covered at the higher speed. My flights are all 22-24 minutes at an average speed of 27-28mph, allowing for moderate wind which reduces the 30mph OA on max, which is sufficient to cover 10 miles.

Last edited:
No, the flight speed also needs to be optimal for the aircraft as well. With the P4P, I fly full throttle with OA turned on, which limits speed to 30mph, which is very close to the optimal 31-33 mph established by long distance flyers, without needing to continually monitor speed, except to note headwinds when the speed drops below 30mph, which I don't compensate for in any way. If you fly with OA off in P mode, or in Sport mode, flying 35+ mph, you will fry your battery far faster than the additional distance covered at the higher speed. My flights are all 22-24 minutes at an average speed of 27-28mph, allowing for moderate wind which reduces the 30mph OA on max, which is sufficient to cover 10 miles.
Well thats exactly how I flew also so the only thing that was different was the wind we encountered like I said earlier :D, I asked that in a thread a while back which would give greater distance Sport or P mode regarding battery consumption ans was told P mode was better.

Well thats exactly how I flew also so the only thing that was different was the wind we encountered like I said earlier :D, I asked that in a thread a while back which would give greater distance Sport or P mode regarding battery consumption ans was told P mode was better.
You could also successfully use Sport mode, if you kept the speed to 31mph. It's not the mode but the speed. It's just more difficult to maintain 31mph in Sport mode, when the top speed is 45mph, and also difficult in P mode with a top speed of 35-37mph, with OA turned off. However, the key to P mode being better is making sure OA is turned on, and flying full throttle. There is no OA in Sport mode. OA turned on (DJI default) gets you longest battery time and longest flight time. So, if you were in P mode, with OA turned on, flying at max speed throughout, then you must have encountered a lot more wind. However, there is always wind of 5-10mph where I fly, enough to regularly flip my flippy gimbal, when flying sideways, to the right, into the wind at 30mph!

You could also successfully use Sport mode, if you kept the speed to 31mph. It's not the mode but the speed. It's just more difficult to maintain 31mph in Sport mode, when the top speed is 45mph, and also difficult in P mode with a top speed of 35-37mph, with OA turned off. However, the key to P mode being better is making sure OA is turned on, and flying full throttle. There is no OA in Sport mode. OA turned on (DJI default) gets you longest battery time and longest flight time. So, if you were in P mode, with OA turned on, flying at max speed throughout, then you must have encountered a lot more wind. However, there is always wind of 5-10mph where I fly, enough to regularly flip my flippy gimbal, when flying sideways, to the right, into the wind at 30mph!
Yes I leave OA on whenever I'm flying out of line of sight just in case I lose signal and it enters RTH this way I dont crash into anything again LOL, the only time I shut it off is when I'm in Sport mode flying within LOS to speed things up a bit

Do you have a relatively new P4P battery?

I was able to do 6.73 km with battery 20% upon landing in a trajectory that was perpendicular to the wind. Because of GO 4.1.18 crashing problem, I wasted 2% battery before taking off. Flown with Litchi 1.19.0 instead. Battery has 15 cycles.

Do you have a relatively new P4P battery?

I was able to do 6.73 km with battery 20% upon landing in a trajectory that was perpendicular to the wind. Because of GO 4.1.18 crashing problem, I wasted 2% battery before taking off. Flown with Litchi 1.19.0 instead. Battery has 15 cycles.
I agree that the individual battery is also a major factor. Newer batteries will give a longer flight time, and only the higher capacity P4P battery will deliver the best flight time. I have also seen some variability in the mAh of the new P4P batteries. Some rare ones are over 6,000 mAh. Another tip is to maintain altitude throughout the flight, and climb out at a 45° or lower angle, and land at a 45° or less glide angle. Any altitude change requires extra battery power. Lots of other factors than just wind, but wind is certainly a major factor. Best to fly when there is none!

Yes I leave OA on whenever I'm flying out of line of sight just in case I lose signal and it enters RTH this way I dont crash into anything again LOL, the only time I shut it off is when I'm in Sport mode flying within LOS to speed things up a bit
Good! I think you should be able to do better with practice, and less wind. Any idea what the wind speed was, and the wind direction, relative to your flight?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor