DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

I've never read so much garbage on this forum.
The majority of posters on this thread have no idea what they are talking about and the panic you are creating is 100% unnecessary.
How is it that you are so willing to believe that DJI want to stop you from enjoying flying?
DJI is not forcing anyone to do anything and those that have updated have reported back that their Phantoms fly just as they always did.
How is it that so many people using high tech equipment act like superstitious ignorant medieval peasants?
The witch in the next village hasn't put a curse on your goat.
Ease up on the paranoia folks and enjoy your flying.
I'm not panicking
I'm just happy with my Phantom as is and don't want to update.

Is there a way to not install the app and still fly? If so, someone explain, and the device I use for my screen is a a phone that I do not have cell service on if that makes a difference.

I will never buy another dji product anyway, there are many other alternatives developing, I will never update (downgrade) my system again. Cant you all see that Dji is using us all in a manner to develop a monopolistic fascist conglomerate operating outside of the bounds of fairplay moral developing capitalism. There business model and technologies evidently are being developed on the backs of the ordinary citizens to eventually be used by big corporate business AND THE MILLITARY What better way to develop an extreme technology than you to pay for it. And then to jerk it away when complete . Dji is a dangerous company to freedom, to the freedom and wealth that true capitalistic competition and freedom can develop.

DJI could potentially come and steal your car but they don't ... just like they don't force you to comply with firmware updates.
Ease off on the overactive imagination and worry about things that are real.

My DJI go app just updated this morning all by itself. I don't see a setting anywhere to prevent this either. Apparently, I am now on the hook to update the firmware when it is released, or fpv will be disabled. So correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like my choice in the matter is gone.

My DJI go app just updated this morning all by itself. I don't see a setting anywhere to prevent this either. Apparently, I am now on the hook to update the firmware when it is released, or fpv will be disabled. So correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like my choice in the matter is gone.
The auto update (or not) setting is an Android setting for all apps in your device - it's not a DJI app setting.
Nothing's going to be disabled, there's nothing to worry about despite the nonsense being put around by a very small number of people that have no idea what they are going on about.

Reactions: stones
Use 3rd party software, like me (DJI Ultimate Flight), if you don't like DJI GO. End of debate.

All of the third party apps communicate with and through a DJI provided SDK. They do not and can not communicate with the aircraft directly. The API provided by the DJI software is required by ALL of them.

So - if and when DJI becomes serious about enforcing something - they will do it the firmware and/or the SDK and it won't matter what third party software one uses.

There is a choice phantom owners have with the latest updates. Use the drone - as is - firmware, DJI Go app, 3rd party apps, rc firmware, battery firmware. Also insure that none of the various software components will update by turning the update features off.

Or else update everything and go along with DJI terms.

Does anyone know what this new update does or requires? When will it be and how long B/4 you must update?

I follow the rules and will always do so. Is this just around airports and are the limits anything different than FAA regs.

Many thanks

The requirement for the new update is to log into DJI and register/re-register to validate which country you are in. The purpose of this update is to allow DJI to better implement no fly zones specific to the country you fly your drone in.
The reason this particular update is upsetting is that if you do not update, and you continue to use new firmware and the newest versions of the DJI Go app, then the video stream will be turned off and you cannot fly too far from the takeoff location.
I believe the update is being rolled out this weekend. For myself I have not updated my drones.

I put the blame on DJI first for 'never' explaining all of what is in an update and explaining it properly. Then I secondly blame all those (including myself) who take the word of a commentator about the update and don't go directly to the source before blindly believing said post. Thanks for listening.

The requirement for the new update is to log into DJI and register/re-register to validate which country you are in. The purpose of this update is to allow DJI to better implement no fly zones specific to the country you fly your drone in.

Herein lies my problem. The authorities of the country I am in are in no hurry to formulate a UAV policy until which there's a blanket ban on flying. I've never flown mine in a city, I don't intend to. I am only interested in photographing landscapes which either happens in rural areas or in the middle of nowhere. So, I guess from next week I either get a height/distance restriction if I don't update or no flights at all if I do. That sucks!

Reactions: FlashBuddy
Herein lies my problem. The authorities of the country I am in are in no hurry to formulate a UAV policy until which there's a blanket ban on flying. I've never flown mine in a city, I don't intend to. I am only interested in photographing landscapes which either happens in rural areas or in the middle of nowhere. So, I guess from next week I either get a height/distance restriction if I don't update or no flights at all if I do. That sucks!
Like so many posts on this thread, this is just nonsense.
You are not forced to update your app and if you do, there are no additional restrictions anyway.

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but if the controller doesnt connect to the Internet and you dont plug the drone into a computer, then surely it will work just how it did before this forced registration business came along...
...how can DJI disable your drone if it hasnt connected to the Internet...or am I missing something???

I have a P4P+ incase anyone was wondering or it makes a difference

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but if the controller doesnt connect to the Internet and you dont plug the drone into a computer, then surely it will work just how it did before this forced registration business came along...
...how can DJI disable your drone if it hasnt connected to the Internet...or am I missing something???

I have a P4P+ incase anyone was wondering or it makes a difference

Yes. You're missing the fact that this is what will happen POST the NEXT update. If you don't plan to update your firmware - then none of this will apply to you. If you do update your firmware - the new behavior will be in place. Post-firmware update, the capabilities of the drone will be limited - until you sign in to the DJI Go app (once) to unlock the newly applied firmware.

What happens after that is a matter of some debate which is what is being discussed in this thread. If you don't plan to update your firmware - ever - then the discussion doesn't pertain to you. But not updating your firmware "ever" is not a good option for many people. It breaks compatibility with third party apps, it means you won't get fixes for issues that are discovered, you may not get new features - and if you're still under warranty, you may be required to update your firmware in order for your warranty to be valid.

Certainly there are some people that are quite happy to never update - but the decision to do so or not to do so is far from being a "no-brainer".

Reactions: dgd3
Yes, so if I dont do the firmware update or make the controller connect to wifi the drone should work as it always has and i should have no restrictions in place. I would assume then if the controller doesnt connect to wifi, dji wont be able to implement any of the flying restrictions such as height, speed and distance and on this basis i wont need to log in to my account or re-register. Correct?

Yes, so if I dont do the firmware update or make the controller connect to wifi the drone should work as it always has and i should have no restrictions in place. I would assume then if the controller doesnt connect to wifi, dji wont be able to implement any of the flying restrictions such as height, speed and distance and on this basis i wont need to log in to my account or re-register. Correct?

Sure. If you don't do anything and you don't update anything - then nothing will change.

It's possible that DJI has baked in an expiry date in their app or firmware that might eventually require you to update - but I haven't ever heard anyone report anything like that.

But if you use third party apps like Litchi or Autopilot - and you allow them to update (or are forced to update them) - they may eventually lose compatibility with the drone/RC.

Also - if you ever have to send your drone in for repairs - it's possible that it will be returned to you with an upgraded firmware.

It also may not be impossible - but it can be very difficult to try to install an older firmware on top of a more recent one.

Basically - "not" updating your firmware/software is probably a relatively short term solution. And if you ever want to purchase a new drone, it will probably have the newest firmware pre-installed on it - so you're probably going to want to understand the "new" rules as they evolve - regardless as to whether you agree with them or not.

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to update this P4. I am not the smartest pup in the litter.
It is the DJI Go4 you have to upgrade? Do I go to DJI.com to get the upgrade or will it just automatically do it when I turn the program on. So far the only thing I see is a note telling me that there is going to be an update, nothing to click on to start any update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18