DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

If logging in is such a huge imposition for you ask DJI why they set up the update that way.
But it should be obvious to anyone with a pulse that DJI's intention is not to stop you flying.
Why would anyone ever think they would?

I give up with the conspiracy team.
There's nothing that will ever satisfy you lot. You can only see disaster in the most innocuous things.
For anyone with an open mind, there are no restrictions you didn't have before and the app update is completely optional.
For the eternal doomsters, it's the end of drone flying, you may as well sell your Phantom if you can find a sucker to take it off your hands.

My intention as a software developer might not be to limit functionality but if I create an authentication mechanism that disables critical services until successful validation than I have accomplished the same thing. I have been in the field before and have had an issue with DJI doing that very thing last summer with firmware. It cost me a wasted day as I only have limited time to fly. Maybe for some of you this seems like a minor inconvenience but some of us do not have that luxury. I am getting tired of the moderators on these forums trying to defend DJI when I wasn't even attacking them. I understand that you might have wasted a lot of your day "educating the Chicken Littles" but if your reread my post that was not me and I do not appreciate being grouped in when there are legitimate complaints with the way DJI rolls out updates, especially with the GO App team. I have no desire to sell my Phantom but the NFZs are out of control and this forum is not the place it once was to air legitimate grievances.

If logging in is such a huge imposition for you ask DJI why they set up the update that way.
But it should be obvious to anyone with a pulse that DJI's intention is not to stop you flying.

There's nothing that will ever satisfy you lot. You can only see disaster in the most innocuous things.
For anyone with an open mind, there are no restrictions you didn't have before and the app update is completely optional.
For the eternal doomsters, it's the end of drone flying, you may as well sell your Phantom if you can find a sucker to take it off your hands.
Will be interesting to see how this all gets sorted out with it coming pre installed on units sold new throughout various regions.

Will be interesting to see how this all gets sorted out with it coming pre installed on units sold new throughout various regions.
It won't make a bit of difference to new Phantoms.
The issue being complained about by a few, is the app which isn't pre-loaded to anything and everyone has to login to the app the first time they use it.
The whole song and dance is because having to login once again is just too much for some people.

And all I pointed out is that if you fail to log in you WILL be limited in how you fly. So, no tinfoil needed!

Brian

So you login and you're not restricted.
What's so hard about that?

Didn't say it was hard, but once again if you fail to do so you WILL be limited.

I'm not sure what the purpose of requiring a new login and for sure some folks have conjured up demons that probably aren't there, but if a new login wasn't needed with prior updates then why now?

I suspect that part of the suspicion here is due to that fact that the update is reported to have altered the geo fencing and when you add the required login it's a certainty that people will be suspicious.

Brian

FB_IMG_1496901061644.jpg

So maybe it is just poor wording but in point #3 but does this mean that Litchi (or other non DJI software will result in the restrictions being activated? Or if you lose connectivity or your phone or tablet crashes that it will force the height/distance restrictions while you are flying? Do you require connectivity to the Internet to fly?

View attachment 83580

So maybe it is just poor wording but in point #3 but does this mean that Litchi (or other non DJI software will result in the restrictions being activated? Or if you lose connectivity or your phone or tablet crashes that it will force the height/distance restrictions while you are flying? Do you require connectivity to the Internet to fly?
When was this released? This is regarding today's p4a and p4p firmware update correct? This has nothing to do with this thread so I don't know why your thread was closed and redirected here.

So I'm trying to update my P4P using DJI Assistant 2 but it won't connect to the drone. I'm using the most recent version of DJI Assistant 2 but it won't connect tot he bird.

God I'm really pissed at the utter failure of DJI to code software to actually communicate with there own crap.

Brian

When was this released? This is regarding today's p4a and p4p firmware update correct? This has nothing to do with this thread so I don't know why your thread was closed and redirected here.
Yes it is about the new firmware update. Not sure why it was moved here. It plainly says Firmware Update but I didn't think it was worth arguing about it or getting censured.
Still would be nice to have my question answered if anyone can do that. I would have posted in the Firmware area but I didn't even know if this was a real firmware update or not.

In responds to your question, no you don't have to use djigo or be online to fly. That's just somebody's mis formation but mis information creates forum traffic.

Last edited:
In responds to your question, no you don't have to use djigo or be online to fly. That's just somebody's mis formation but mis information creates forum traffic.
So you are saying that it is DJI's misinformation? Or poor wording on their (DJI's) part? Or are you saying that somebody (other than DJI) is misinforming me? The screen capture that I posted originated from their (DJI's) support team.
I don't want to take a chance updating my bird only to find out that I am forced to use DJI GO 4, have to be connected to the Internet, or hit a tree because I lose connectivity and my settings for a lost connection are overidden by the firmware.

Possibly an admin/moderator could move this post to a more relevant area.

I don't know where it came from it may have been poorly worded but repeating it is misinformation. There is no way dji is going to make you be online every time you fly. That's just not happening. What it means is you have to be online after the installation and log in. I know it says that you have to be online when you fly but that's just not the case.

My concern is that my property is 4.5 miles from an old grass runway private airport. I've tried calling them several times but I get no answer or voicemail. As it stands when I launch I get a message saying that I'm in an advisory zone, I can't remember exactly what the wording is. But it's advising me about the little airstrip. I'm concerned that if I accept this update will it read me as a NFZ. I'm out in the country and have more than 15 acres that I fly in but don't want to suddenly be in a NFZ.

Last edited:
I also live less than a mile from a small airport that is listed in the dji nfz database. I fly 107 and no notification is required. If you are hobby you just need to notifify within 5 miles and if you can't contact directly a email would suffice. The airport I live near is uncontrolled airspace and is listed as "Authorization unlock available". With previous firmware I just did the ....Me > More > unlock nfz application and it worked right away. Now it seemed not to work, it continued to show "cannot take off". I went ahead and tried to take off and got the unlock pop up hit accept and now all is normal. Perhaps that will work for you.

I understand the call thing. But the airfield isn't on DJIs NFZ map but I get an advisory when I launch. I'm just concerned that being at the 4 1/2 mile point within the 5 mile radius if with the new app and firmware if I will be in a NFZ. I don't want my property to become a NFZ.
Let me be more clear. I'm not currently flying in a NFZ and of course don't want to fly in a NFZ. Like I said the airfield is not on the DJI map of NFZs "right now" but I still get an advisory at launch. But I'm wondering if it will be read as a NFZ with the new app and firmware.

I think you should be fine. Check DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access for the area you are in
Been researching about getting a drone, and have come down on the side of the P4P, but this flight restriction if you cannot log into the internet is a bit worrying, where I live GSM coverage is sporadic at best and absent over a good lot of the county, GSM nodes are along the coast and coverage does not venture far inland. So if you have to log in before each flight then it is going to be a no go on me getting a product from DJI.

Been looking at the above linked DJI Geo System page, I live within the warning area of Wick Airport in the far north of Scotland, not a problem and having flown private aircraft out of Wick I understand the rules. I am though a bit puzzled by the warning point near Dunbeath, I cannot think of anything near there for there to be a warning at that point, there is an oil rig a few miles off shore near there but it is outside the warning area covered by that point, another warning point is at the local nuclear power station but there seems to be no actual restriction on the DJI site, tho it is a restricted airspace area with a private airfield for the power station. DJIGeo1.jpg DJIGeo2.jpg

DJI go app will stay "logged in" even when you close the app and without internet. Once you have linked the app controller and aircraft received any unlock authorizations it will stay logged in unless you manually log out of the app. So if you fly in area without cell coverage just take care of the login before you go out to fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicatt
Been researching about getting a drone, and have come down on the side of the P4P, but this flight restriction if you cannot log into the internet is a bit worrying, where I live GSM coverage is sporadic at best and absent over a good lot of the county, GSM nodes are along the coast and coverage does not venture far inland. So if you have to log in before each flight then it is going to be a no go on me getting a product from DJI.
Relax ... you don't need any internet connection to fly.
You never have and you still don't.
DJI aren't crazy ... they just use vague language in updates.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl