DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

Might have been mentioned but this is the pop up window from the newest Go app. As noted, it states that the release _next week_ will contain the change.

DJI GO 4_20170527_081535.png

The key to avoid this mess seems to be NOT using the new versions of the app. My old firmware and old version of the app work just fine, no issues....never been better.

We are not forced into downloading these updates, so DJI I believe I'll pass on your 'new version' until the bird won't fly, or hell freezes over......whichever comes first. [emoji3]

China seems to be having more problems with miscreant fliers than most other parts of the world based on their news reports, so I suspect this is a reaction to their own problem.

To accurately define restricted airspace in the US is not easy. An FAA rep admitted that their own B4UFly app is less than accurate because it is difficult to sort out all the towered airports from the non-towered airports from the heliports from the helipads... To believe that someone will be able to plot all this out from China is a farce.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
This is not good news DJI, I will download no further updates for RC or AC and will exclusively use the LITCHI app from now on and not DJI Go , DJI can expect some lawsuits on the back of this.

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update - sUAS News - The Business of Drones

I agree with you, one day after buying my p4 all the rules changed, I live in a built up area and basically can't really fly it. 300 feet away from ppl and buildings is hard as ppl will randomly come up to you, even if you are trying to abide by the laws and rules. If I had known I wouldn't have bought it

Very Orwellian on DJI's part. It was certainly an overreach of their responsibility long ago when they added airspace constraints to their firmware; it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS how responsible or lawful the purchaser is, nor is it their business where the buyers are nor what they do with the drone. It is the responsibility of the purchaser and his country's law enforcement to keep things straight.

If DJI continues this approach - controlling you and your property after the sale and after the warranty is no more - I am am done with them. ONE government is enough, thank you. DJI, nor Ford, nor Samsung, nor Apple, nor the folks that sell me groceries have any place governing what I do. Imagine the chaos! If I violate some law or regulation, hurt someone with a product, or otherwise screw up, then consequences will be paid via the normal, invasive-enough, institutions which have been set up and authorized for that purpose. I don't remember the part where I gave DJI that authority when I paid them my thousands of dollars.

This is unneeded and unwanted overreach, plain and simple. If my local police or the FAA or the authorized powers that be want to keep tabs on me and regulate my foolish actions, then so be it and I will suffer the consequences of their control if I fail to use good judgement. When some company swaggers-in and attempts to assume that role instead, no thank you. Not your job.

Last edited:
I think you are not aware that terrorist in the Middle East are using DJI drones and the restriction is been in place to control the behavior of these animals with their attacks to innocents. This is one way, another way is government restrictions. If you want freedom, don't blame DJI, blame your government for creating restrictions in place. The only thing DJI is trying to do is make their business cooperate with authorities. The main point in here is government controlling our hobby and DJI is just following the rules. Nothing wrong with that at all just lack of freedom from the FAA.

There is an issue of 'States rights' that even our Federal government cannot override. Looks like DJI is over riding all of that. DJI is the supreme power. I will stop you all, no matter where you are; says DJI as it roars above the clouds. There is a potential of these restrictions to cause accidents too. We'll have to see how restrictive this update is going to be. I can only imagine that sometimes you 107 people have some pretty odd jobs that your clients want performed, but you may be restricted in the future because LORD DJI has spoken. I don't like it. Too much power for DJI and it may just kill their profits. But I may be speaking prematurely. I'll wait and see.

Reactions: Bluesmaster
China seems to be having more problems with miscreant fliers than most other parts of the world based on their news reports, so I suspect this is a reaction to their own problem.

To accurately define restricted airspace in the US is not easy. An FAA rep admitted that their own B4UFly app is less than accurate because it is difficult to sort out all the towered airports from the non-towered airports from the heliports from the helipads... To believe that someone will be able to plot all this out from China is a farce.

Ahahaha, true, their citizens (Chinese) don't believe in rules. Have you seen them drive? I had a friend from China and they have traffic lights and stop signs etc, but nobody and I mean nobody pays attention to them. Other places, no signs, no lights. They just take chances. Check out this video to prove my point.

This is a classic tempest in a teapot based on a misreading of the article cited by the thread starter. DJI simply requires you to login to activate a new version of their apps so they can verify what location (country) you are in. The restrictions to height and distance only apply if you do NOT activate the app before you fly for the first time with the new app. DJI needs to know what country you are in so they can apply the restrictions imposed by lawful authorities for the area where you fly. You only need to activate the app once, after you first install it, not for every flight and not periodically.

You should always go to the original article cited to see if it says what the person citing it claims, because often it does not. No big deal here, folks.

I installed latest version of GO 4 a couple of weeks ago and had to login to DJI account to activate and register it. I've had no problem flying with the app since then, and I live only 1/2 mile from a small county airport with no tower where 10 flights in and out per day is HEAVY traffic. Average traffic is about 2 or 3 flights per day. I'm still able to opt out of the flight area restrictions in the app and fly where I want to, when I want to. I do occasionally fly at home, near the airport, but keep the altitude low, and keep my ears open for any airplane traffic. I also purchased a handheld aviation radio transceiver so I can monitor for approaching air traffic that is beyond hearing range, and in an emergency can contact any nearby pilots to alert them.

I'm a licensed pilot. Based on my aviation knowledge, I estimate that the chances of a mid-air collision between a drone and a manned aircraft to be vanishingly small, virtually nonexistent. Those who raise the alarm and hype the danger of such a collision are mostly uninformed, paranoid, or both.

This is a classic tempest in a teapot based on a misreading of the article cited by the thread starter. DJI simply requires you to login to activate a new version of their apps so they can verify what location (country) you are in. The restrictions to height and distance only apply if you do NOT activate the app before you fly ....

Sir, that is exactly the point: If you update, then you do what they say or else they will constrain your aircraft and your activity to less-than-perfectly-legal range. Further, many of us maintain that - except for purely marketing reasons - it is none of their business what country the flyer is in or what that regions laws are, beyond an outright ban on importing drones (e.g. N Korea).

If you or I have updated our DJI Go apps, including my long-registered 2015 P3A antique, we must re-register or else suffer the consequences. If what they have indeed stated is not the case, then DJI needs to issue a clarification. The point is, it is not their business, but yours and your own community's to fly responsibly and lawfully. This move by DJI affects the best and safest as well as the worst and most cavalier flyers.

Per DJI:
"Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.
... The feature [my caps] applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps."

Ha! I love how they call this a "feature." As a pilot, can you imagine your Cessna not being able to fly more than a mile because you updated the avionics and failed to re-register, not because the the FAA required re-registration, but because Cessna has. Bet you'd be a bit unhappy.

Last edited:

They've only got to get it wrong and you won't be able to fly in safe areas.
No more updates for me.
Tablet will no longer connect to net.
I fly resposibly so I don't need DJI "helping" me thanks all the same.

Reactions: maxheadspace
Per DJI:
"Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.
... The feature [my caps] applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps."

Modifying conditions of ownership after you've purchased the item? Has anyone checked the agreement they accepted when they first registered their DJI drone to see if they agreed to such limitation?

I keep getting sucked back into this debate. It's entirely possible that by upgrading and re-registering all we are doing is telling DJI that we don't live in China and as such will not get any further restrictions. I've believed from the beginning that this is a DJI reaction to domestic pressure in China. After all, I think China probably has more drones in the public than all the rest of the world combined. In the end, if my drone flying is restricted because of some supposed violation (I am careful about flying within FAA guidelines) I will drop DJI completely and move on to other vendors.

This is why I use DJI go 2.4.2............ (If I even use it at all...)
E X A C T L Y, same for me. Been, what? a year and a half, and knock on wood, mine is fine. I did the anti-forced update hack in my hosts file and reinstalled 2.4.2 and happy days again. No craziness, no flyaways, no problems, no being the unwilling beta testbed for new firmware at MY risk. Easy Peasy

Reactions: Indiana Scott
The key to avoid this mess seems to be NOT using the new versions of the app. My old firmware and old version of the app work just fine, no issues....never been better.

We are not forced into downloading these updates, so DJI I believe I'll pass on your 'new version' until the bird won't fly, or hell freezes over......whichever comes first. [emoji3]

Think though… DJI did warn us it was coming giving us plenty of time to choose to not update. I'd say that's pretty nice of them while they are also winning points with regulators.

I've never read so much garbage on this forum.
The majority of posters on this thread have no idea what they are talking about and the panic you are creating is 100% unnecessary.
How is it that you are so willing to believe that DJI want to stop you from enjoying flying?
DJI is not forcing anyone to do anything and those that have updated have reported back that their Phantoms fly just as they always did.
How is it that so many people using high tech equipment act like superstitious ignorant medieval peasants?
The witch in the next village hasn't put a curse on your goat.
Ease up on the paranoia folks and enjoy your flying.

I've never read so much garbage on this forum.
The majority of posters on this thread have no idea what they are talking about and the panic you are creating is 100% unnecessary.
How is it that you are so willing to believe that DJI want to stop you from enjoying flying?
DJI is not forcing anyone to do anything and those that have updated have reported back that their Phantoms fly just as they always did.
How is it that so many people using high tech equipment act like superstitious ignorant medieval peasants?
The witch in the next village hasn't put a curse on your goat.
Ease up on the paranoia folks and enjoy your flying.
Well said,surprised that none of the mods have taken an axe to this thread. I'm all for free speech, but the pros and cons have been flogged to death and we can each make a simple yes or no decision. As I posted earlier, I updated and flew just fine. The cat stood on my head this morning to wake me up as it always does, the chickens had laid their eggs as they always do and the glass of red that I had with dinner last night gave me a slight headache as it always does. Life continues and it's time we move on.

DJI is not my big brother and not in the business of being in anyone else's business. If they are, then Ford, Chevy, and all the auto manufacturers should put speed regulators in their vehicles as well as GPS tracking devices in their vehicles to prevent speeding and crimes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka