Dji repair sent back wrong drone?

Just spoke to someone online. I am told to return just the drone. No battery or RC
That's funny. My experience is the online chat folks are always wrong. I just sent my P4P in and the instructions I got online clearly said the return the RC at the bottom, however in the declaration of what you want to send in, it clearly gives the option to send only the craft in, and battery. This conflicting instruction set was confusing. I sent them the RC, Drone, and an old 5340mah battery in my P4P. I'm curious if they'll catch the P4 battery in my P4P craft.

In the past the instructions said to send only the craft in, no battery, no props, and an option to send the RC.

Bkushner I wish you luck with DJI, does not sound good. I had a P4 that stopped transmitting video. Two months old and only about 10 flights on it as it was a backup.

It has taken a while but I sent it to DJI under warranty and they said that they would replace the camera and gimbal at no cost.

It is on its way back and it I have a UPS tracking number. The document they emailed me with the UPS tracking number shows the same serial number as the drone I sent. Has anyone received the drone they sent back repaired as opposed to a different one?
Yes, Gadget Guy got back the same P4P drone he sent in. But the three times I've sent my craft in (P4 X2, and Mavic) for warranty repair, they have always sent me a new craft replacement, maybe because my craft always look new when I ship them in, I'm not sure.

Yes, Gadget Guy got back the same P4P drone he sent in. But the three times I've sent my craft in (P4 X2, and Mavic) for warranty repair, they have always sent me a new craft replacement, maybe because my craft always look new when I ship them in, I'm not sure.

Most tech companies now ship a new device if it's under warranty. Much cheaper labor wise to recycle the defective product and send the customer a new one. Apple does it, Samsung, Google, etc. That's been my experience at work when dealing with these companies but we are a Tier 1 Business customer so maybe we get special treatment?

Well what a day. All I can say is I'm 56 years old and never have I experienced anything like this. As many of you know this all started 3 weeks ago when I sent my perfect P4P in for service. Fan stopped working in the gimbal. Otherwise perfect. I have owned P3, P3P, three P'4s and P4P and I have never ever sent for service. I've also put DJI Care and then Refresh on every bird. So, when I had to part with the P4P to repair I went ordered a new P4P from B&H as I didn't want to be without a drone. I figured when my bird came back I'd sell the temp bird for a little less then I paid. Well a couple days after buying it it drops out of the air for an unknown reason and is unrecoverable. Back and fourth with DJI on that and its NO on Warranty No on DJI refresh...tough luck but that's another thread on here.

Today my beloved P4P arrives, all week I looked forward to it arriving from California. I open it seconds off the UPS truck and first thing I notice, my FAA sticker isn't there. Then a quick glance of the serial on the bird and oh boy it isn't my bird. I called DJI and got pretty much nowhere. At one point I was promised a supervisor and then was on hold, #2 in the queue for 1 hour 15 min and the phone goes dead. Basically from the 10 calls I made, they decided my P4P was not repairable, even though the timeline said for 8-9 days, repairing, repaired flight test etc...so they sent me what they are calling a drone of greater or equal value. Well it was a used drone, surely not any refurb. It was dirty and used. Also first thing I notice when starting is the sideways gimbal...hmm. Well guess what, it needs to go back. I said let me do some calibration and fly it and see what gives..well I got the camera straightened a little bit but when I flew the camera was working independent of me. When I'd accelerate the horizon had severe tilt, then when I stopped the camera would slowly creep to level over a few seconds as I sat there and watched...then I throttle and crooked. Also sometimes when I'd let off throttle I'd have the whole camera thing I forget what it's called but the camera flips and it looks like your crashing. One of the biggest issues is language barrier, I couldn't understand them and they me. For instance one exchange was : ME - I sent my drone for repair and you sent me a different drone and that one isn't working right. DJI - Oh so we sent back your repaired drone and it was repaired right? You want to pull your hair out.

Finally after more calls I get someone that's going to create a case for the drone to go back. They do so but no shipping label...so then I'm thinking I'm gonna send this back and this is the ONE time they will probably return the same beaten down replacement back to me. So I went to BB and bought a brand new P4P and whenever they send me a suitable replacement I will just sell it and be done with this craziness.

Few things I learned.
1. There is NO WAY they are testing or refurbing the units. This drone had the original November firmware installed. You could easily see the crooked camera idling and flying.
2. DJI Refresh is a waste of money for the most part. If this is indicative of what they send you as a replacement and the down time incurred your better off seeking other insurance.
3. I've never had a worse customer service experience in my life. I don't intend to ever again. If I had to do this over again I should have bought a new drone from DJI, removed fan from it and returned it to them. Let them suffer as we have.

So, I'll let you know in 3-4 weeks what if anything they send me back.

That's funny. My experience is the online chat folks are always wrong. I just sent my P4P in and the instructions I got online clearly said the return the RC at the bottom, however in the declaration of what you want to send in, it clearly gives the option to send only the craft in, and battery. This conflicting instruction set was confusing. I sent them the RC, Drone, and an old 5340mah battery in my P4P. I'm curious if they'll catch the P4 battery in my P4P craft.

In the past the instructions said to send only the craft in, no battery, no props, and an option to send the RC.
Mine wasn't new, far from it. At one point they asked me what email I registered the refund under, I said I didn't get a registration screen.!!!

My drone is not new. Very much used...battery marks, wear on landing pads....etc...I thought it was mine until I noticed my FAA sticker was gone..then checked serial. They even sent it back in my original box..

Funny I had the infamous sd card not locking issue and sent it in. Took them over a week. Got the original box as well. Opened it up and noticed my FAA registration sticker was gone as well. My wife said they probably sent a refurb one. I haven't had time to verify the serial number yet so I should probably do that.

Last edited:
Funny I had the infamous sd card not locking issue and sent it in. Took them over a week. Got the original box as well. Opened it up and noticed my FAA registration sticker was gone as well. My wife said they probably sent a refurb one. I haven't had time to verify the serial number yet so I should probably do that.
Betting it isn't your original. What condition was it in?

It would be nice if they actually fixed the customers drone for what was the issue and not get into the refurb matter. Posting "Passed testing" doesn't hold up if the firmware is 6 months old.

Seems they just gut the ones coming in for parts and patch up whatever they got lying around and say "Tested" and ship it back out. Then one gets to figure out what was messed up with the refurb one that was swapped out if it works. For the high price of these goods, sure is a lousy repair practice, imho.

Info: BBB Accredited Business Review for DJI Service, LLC. Good thing they pay to be a BBB member or else their A- rating might be an F-.

It would be nice if they actually fixed the customers drone for what was the issue and not get into the refurb matter. .
If you think about it if it takes them a month on average just to stick a refurb in a box and ship it to you can you imagine how long it'll actually take to physically repair each customers drone :(:(, Nikon's able to do it in a few weeks why can't DJI ?
I guess all the broken stuff is shipped back to China for repair where labor cost are cheaper then in the states..

DJI repaired my p3p before, and they did a great job in replacing the camera. The body was the same because it was a full custom hydro dipped p3p. DJI must be assessing situations on a case by case basis.

I remember I had this exact same problem... fan was broken and then I sent my drone in for repair, and ended up getting an entirely new drone. What I recommend doing is recalibrating the gimbal. If you can't find this in the settings, google it. Good luck.

I remember I had this exact same problem... fan was broken and then I sent my drone in for repair, and ended up getting an entirely new drone. What I recommend doing is recalibrating the gimbal. If you can't find this in the settings, google it. Good luck.
It's already on it's way back I tried all calibrations this thing was beyond calibration. The camera was freely moving at will.

Well what a day. All I can say is I'm 56 years old and never have I experienced anything like this. As many of you know this all started 3 weeks ago when I sent my perfect P4P in for service. Fan stopped working in the gimbal. Otherwise perfect. I have owned P3, P3P, three P'4s and P4P and I have never ever sent for service. I've also put DJI Care and then Refresh on every bird. So, when I had to part with the P4P to repair I went ordered a new P4P from B&H as I didn't want to be without a drone. I figured when my bird came back I'd sell the temp bird for a little less then I paid. Well a couple days after buying it it drops out of the air for an unknown reason and is unrecoverable. Back and fourth with DJI on that and its NO on Warranty No on DJI refresh...tough luck but that's another thread on here.

Today my beloved P4P arrives, all week I looked forward to it arriving from California. I open it seconds off the UPS truck and first thing I notice, my FAA sticker isn't there. Then a quick glance of the serial on the bird and oh boy it isn't my bird. I called DJI and got pretty much nowhere. At one point I was promised a supervisor and then was on hold, #2 in the queue for 1 hour 15 min and the phone goes dead. Basically from the 10 calls I made, they decided my P4P was not repairable, even though the timeline said for 8-9 days, repairing, repaired flight test etc...so they sent me what they are calling a drone of greater or equal value. Well it was a used drone, surely not any refurb. It was dirty and used. Also first thing I notice when starting is the sideways gimbal...hmm. Well guess what, it needs to go back. I said let me do some calibration and fly it and see what gives..well I got the camera straightened a little bit but when I flew the camera was working independent of me. When I'd accelerate the horizon had severe tilt, then when I stopped the camera would slowly creep to level over a few seconds as I sat there and watched...then I throttle and crooked. Also sometimes when I'd let off throttle I'd have the whole camera thing I forget what it's called but the camera flips and it looks like your crashing. One of the biggest issues is language barrier, I couldn't understand them and they me. For instance one exchange was : ME - I sent my drone for repair and you sent me a different drone and that one isn't working right. DJI - Oh so we sent back your repaired drone and it was repaired right? You want to pull your hair out.

Finally after more calls I get someone that's going to create a case for the drone to go back. They do so but no shipping label...so then I'm thinking I'm gonna send this back and this is the ONE time they will probably return the same beaten down replacement back to me. So I went to BB and bought a brand new P4P and whenever they send me a suitable replacement I will just sell it and be done with this craziness.

Few things I learned.
1. There is NO WAY they are testing or refurbing the units. This drone had the original November firmware installed. You could easily see the crooked camera idling and flying.
2. DJI Refresh is a waste of money for the most part. If this is indicative of what they send you as a replacement and the down time incurred your better off seeking other insurance.
3. I've never had a worse customer service experience in my life. I don't intend to ever again. If I had to do this over again I should have bought a new drone from DJI, removed fan from it and returned it to them. Let them suffer as we have.

So, I'll let you know in 3-4 weeks what if anything they send me back.

Sounds like it came with their latest firmware already updated for you. You may want to try downgrading the firmware on that replacement they sent and see if that helps.

DJI doesn't even have a toll free number. I had a $80 phone with no resolution to my problem. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER DJI!!

It's very normal for DJI to ship a new drone instead of repairing yours. I've sent in 3 craft for warranty repair, and every time they have sent me a new drone. You'll have to ship your new drone back I'm afraid. Sorry for the hassle on that, but every one of my replacements have been good with no problems. I've been thinking they have "Special Inventory" that's actually been tested in flight.

I think one of the biggest quality issues DJI has is they don't test the craft adequately before boxing them. They haven't perfected the assembly process enough to ship a non tested product yet. If they just had an outgoing inspection for crooked camera, they would improve their quality significantly. There have been MANY crooked cameras shipped, you would think that's an easy thing to notice after assembly if they booted the craft and simply LOOK AT THE CAMERA from above the craft. This crooked camera issue even made my P4P VALIDATION list, since it's such a common problem.

My P4P is in for repair/replacement right now for a vibrating gimbal. I hope my camera isn't crooked when I get the replacement.

See my response to your P4P validation.. It worked for both my P4 and P4P.. I am not sure if it works on the P3 versions though.. (in case someone with a P3 has this issue would love to hear)..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94