Dji repair sent back wrong drone?

Reaction score
So I set my drone in because the fan stopped working in the gimbal it was received and then went through the process where it said repaired tested etc. and they ship it back to me total of about three weeks.

Today I open the package and I have a drone with a different serial number that has the camera off center to the left when my drone didn't have a problem is this a mistake or are they sending refurbished for warranty repair what do I do???

Three weeks wasted. My drone was in perfect condition and worked great. Now I have an off center camera. So far.

By the way they had my drone for 10 days before sending this wrong one.

Brian

It's very normal for DJI to ship a new drone instead of repairing yours. I've sent in 3 craft for warranty repair, and every time they have sent me a new drone. You'll have to ship your new drone back I'm afraid. Sorry for the hassle on that, but every one of my replacements have been good with no problems. I've been thinking they have "Special Inventory" that's actually been tested in flight.

I think one of the biggest quality issues DJI has is they don't test the craft adequately before boxing them. They haven't perfected the assembly process enough to ship a non tested product yet. If they just had an outgoing inspection for crooked camera, they would improve their quality significantly. There have been MANY crooked cameras shipped, you would think that's an easy thing to notice after assembly if they booted the craft and simply LOOK AT THE CAMERA from above the craft. This crooked camera issue even made my P4P VALIDATION list, since it's such a common problem.

My P4P is in for repair/replacement right now for a vibrating gimbal. I hope my camera isn't crooked when I get the replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
It's very normal for DJI to ship a new drone instead of repairing yours. I've sent in 3 craft for warranty repair, and every time they have sent me a new drone. You'll have to ship your new drone back I'm afraid. Sorry for the hassle on that, but every one of my replacements have been good with no problems. I've been thinking they have "Special Inventory" that's actually been tested in flight.

I think one of the biggest quality issues DJI has is they don't test the craft adequately before boxing them. They haven't perfected the assembly process enough to ship a non tested product yet. If they just had an outgoing inspection for crooked camera, they would improve their quality significantly. There have been MANY crooked cameras shipped, you would think that's an easy things to notice after assembly if they booted the craft and simply LOOK AT THE CAMERA from above the craft. This issue even made my P4P VALIDATION list, since it's such a common problem.
Well that causes many problems. Box has one serial bird the other. Problem when selling just got insurance with old serial. Receipt has original serial and now with new serial companies won't insure. Many problems.

So I set my drone in because the fan stopped working in the gimbal it was received and then went through the process where it said repaired tested etc. and they ship it back to me total of about three weeks.

Today I open the package and I have a drone with a different serial number that has the camera off center to the left when my drone didn't have a problem is this a mistake or are they sending refurbished for warranty repair what do I do???

Three weeks wasted. My drone was in perfect condition and worked great. Now I have an off center camera. So far.

By the way they had my drone for 10 days before sending this wrong one.

Brian
W o w that is over i be on da phone and demanding a special delivery,sounds like a walt disney outfit, bugger waiting more weeks ,thats outragess,,mate hope you get sorted , :(

Just goes to show how much DJI could care less about their customers and what real dirt bags they are! To send out another drone with more issues and put it in a box that serial number doesn't match show in black and white what F'n morons are working at DJI!!!!

I suspect they have so many returns they could never keep up if they repaired them all. 3yrs ago it was an 8 to 10wk turn around from what I heard, that's atrocious. I assume they were getting hammered so much about bad service, they decided upon a new policy to replace drones to improve turn around. I can only assume they send the bad ones back to China for repair and resell later as refurbished. I'm thinking the refurbished drones actually get tested after repair to insure the flaw has indeed been fixed. So theoretically refurbs might have a higher acceptance quality upon receipt by customers, versus regular production units that are obviously not tested after being manufactured, given the high rate of initial flaws upon purchase. DJI Cerritos must be a nightmare I'm thinking. I can only imagine what the return pile to China looks like. However, their drones are still THE BEST!

It's very normal for DJI to ship a new drone instead of repairing yours.
Yes, I agree. This is very normal and often asked about here.

You got a refurbished or simply a used unit back. It's is common practice for DJI, and they note in their warranty that they can (and often do) send a refurbished unit. How well it's "refurbished" can vary.

√ Please note that products and components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. These refurbished goods have been tested and are similar to brand new goods in function and appearance. If any refurbished parts or units do not meet our quality assurance requirements, brand new parts or units will be issued. Any replaced parts may come with different serial numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChipperRay
Well that causes many problems. Box has one serial bird the other. Problem when selling just got insurance with old serial. Receipt has original serial and now with new serial companies won't insure. Many problems.
I'd call the insurance company and explain what happened regarding the Serial#/DJI replacement policy and I'm sure they'll understand and modify the records

I'd call the insurance company and explain what happened regarding the Serial#/DJI replacement policy and I'm sure they'll understand and modify the records
And resale? How do I explain serial doesn't match box or receipt? I know NOTHING about the replacement drone. Also, what about the camera pointing left. I'm on the phone with them now it's comical how bad they are.

I suspect they have so many returns they could never keep up if they repaired them all. 3yrs ago it was an 8 to 10wk turn around from what I heard, that's atrocious. I assume they were getting hammered so much about bad service, they decided upon a new policy to replace drones to improve turn around. I can only assume they send the bad ones back to China for repair and resell later as refurbished. I'm thinking the refurbished drones actually get tested after repair to insure the flaw has indeed been fixed. So theoretically refurbs might have a higher acceptance quality upon receipt by customers, versus regular production units that are obviously not tested after being manufactured, given the high rate of initial flaws upon purchase. DJI Cerritos must be a nightmare I'm thinking. I can only imagine what the return pile to China looks like. However, their drones are still THE BEST!
Well it's ironic I followed the process...Receive, review, repair, test etc if all they did was pop a new drone in the box to me..

Yea when I went through the DJI repair **** I wondered the same thing. Why wait all that time if you are going to send me a new drone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow so bad working with them...Total ******** response from them as always...My fan stopped working, they are telling me it was unrepairable so they send me a broken refurb. They did say I can have my original back but it won't be repaired...for 11 days I followed the progress that said it was evaluated, repaired, tested and all they did was drop a dud in the box to me. Now they want me to return the DUD for another roll of the dice so Im 3-4 weeks without a bird. Asked about them sending the replacement first , oh no they don't do that. Do I'll be 9 weeks waiting for another possible dud to come back. FIrst repair experience and the WORST. All I needed was a new fan at the least, a new gimbal camera at worst. Instead they send me someone elses REJECT!

And resale? How do I explain serial doesn't match box or receipt? I know NOTHING about the replacement drone. Also, what about the camera pointing left. I'm on the phone with them now it's comical how bad they are.
Regarding resale most people only care about buying a properly working drone and anyone who's been around the block a few times knows that when you crash or need repair they send you a new/refurbished one so I'm sure it's pretty common to buy a used drone with a box that the serial # don't match, the camera's another matter all together...

Yea when I went through the DJI repair hell I wondered the same thing. Why wait all that time if you are going to send me a new drone!
My drone is not new. Very much used...battery marks, wear on landing pads....etc...I thought it was mine until I noticed my FAA sticker was gone..then checked serial. They even sent it back in my original box..

Regarding resale most people only care about buying a properly working drone and anyone who's been around the block a few times knows that when you crash or need repair they send you a new/refurbished one so I'm sure it's pretty common to buy a used drone with a box that the serial # don't match, the camera's another matter all together...
Yes but selling a REFURB is not the same as selling a one owner used!!!

Yes but selling a REFURB is not the same as selling a one owner used!!!
I understand your point but it's a drone not a car, most people don't care as long as it works.
I had it on the original I sent in not sure if they transferred to the new serial..Doubt they did.
They do, I just used my 2nd DJI Care thing and I entered the original copter's serial # even though it wasn't, it was the replacement. I guess they keep track of them or just don't care cause they'll give you two replacement's regarless then after that your SOL,

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl