DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
I am. If I were to price out the pieces it would be far more then $2000.

You are only aware of retail prices.

You have no idea (I assume) of mfgrs costs.

Other drones don't share the economies of scale cause NONE have sold like the Phantom series.

That gives DJI enormous scale to amortize their costs.

Reactions: Beni
4K is waaaaaaay overrated. Professionals may use it but they don't use action cams if they can help it. If you're shooting for yourself, do yourself a favor and shoot in 2.7K. It is the sweet spot of the Exmor / Ambarella imaging system and produces spectacular results.

The upset Norwegian with the new P2 and Hero 4 should be happy to know his Hero 4 black still shoots much better quality than the Inspire or P3. DJI may be using the same hardware but they lack imaging expertise. Who knows if they'll work that hard to get it to match.

And anyone who thinks 8K is around the corner is smoking crack. HD took 20 years. 4K the better part of a decade. My brand new top-of-the-line 5K Retina iMac can barely edit 4K without lagging.

More resolution is no substitute for latitude, exposure, uniformity and color.

Reactions: Beni
**Disclaimer**

Yes this message is loooong!!.. but I just tried to reply to all those who quoted me, talked about me, or commented on something of what I said. I did use correct forum conduct, and not replied each in a new message... that would have been a lot of new single messages!.. ;)

No one has to read anything, but all are allowed to ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beni, you will have a lot of fun with your purchase and some great places to fly.

I don't think that DJI have discontinued the 2 with gimbal and Gopro...

Hi there... yes, you're right, it seems that I saw the P2 + H3-2D being discontinued and just thought it was the 3D but a better look at their website I see that also the P1 is still on sale, and thats kind of understandable as the P1 is more of a toy and is a big difference between that one and the P2 or P3. But I believe they will discontinue all the phantom 2´s (vision/+ & non-vision) when the P3 is out and available!.. cause if not, they should bring the prices really low, or 95-98% will just get the P3 A or P. (as the P2 + all the fpv will cost same somewhere between the Adv. and the Pro)

I think what's happening here is a form of miscommunication.
Sure, we all do speak English. But some do it all their lives as a native...

You are right about some of us not being native in english... for me english is my third language, never had a single lesson! (learned because of my interest in music and computers since I was a kid), and never had anyone to talk to either! (Im spanish, living in norway, so I can those both + english) ;)

I believe you meant that it was me that misunderstood him?.. well, I doubt that... cause he said: you just come off as a crazy loony... and later: now go get yourself some scooby snacks., even as a joke, its a condescending one.. and I dont think my writing deserved such a negative denotation thru my persona.

Anyhow... I really don't care! :p

@Beni I didnt have time to read your whole post, but my eye caught the part about not supporting Zenmuse/GoPro. First off, this may be a feature as 1 DJI spokesperson said "The only thing we're announcing is the Phantom 3 Professional and the Phantom 3 Advanced. As you can probably tell by the name there's scope for more."

This implies that there will be other versions. I however think it would be a bad move on the part of DJI to make another Zenmuse for the Phantom. GoPro has said they are developing a drone, so why feed capital into a competitor via sales of their cameras?

Anyways, just a few thought for you. Welcome to the forum :)

didn't got that DJI spokesperson saying that "the only thing we're announcing..." but it won't be a Phantom 3 without camera for us to mount the gimbal and gopro, for the exact reason you said, about GoPro going into the drone market... but as I did hear someone say after reading in forbes.com (november 2014), that it was DJI that started the war implementing the vision camera in their quads, and announcing (privately) to gopro that they would soon stop the collaboration.. so it was then when gopro decided to join the drone war.

bad move of DJI.. though maybe a good one for the future.. more companies making them, more competition, lower prices, and we the users as winners! so let them fight each other! :p

Anyhow, I dont think that DJI did the right thing this time against its followers and customers. Why?... because of that price dump on the newer model, making those who buyed any P2 or i1 recently being screwed now.

I understand theres always something new coming out, and its just something that would happen.. but its like buying the iPhone 6 plus today at retail price (no contract), and then next week, not only they release the 6s plus, with 512gb, some amazing new features and at $199 retail price! say what???

a company has to make their prices competitive against other manufacturers, as well as against themselves.. to be fair to everyone.

Instead they just screwed some hundreds (maybe thousands) today.. that will be glad to see gopro and other companies making them pay for what they have done. (pure and simple: horrible marketing)

And no Dji should not be making a H5-3D in the future.. thats acceptable!.. but keep the H3-3D and H4-3D option in a naked P3 would be nice.. of course I understand the problem.. and thats the frequencies again!.. to use gopro it should be 2.4 the receiver, thus not allowing the apple/android connectivity, and thats really what the P3 has!..

I also think the "specs" page of the phantom 3, is ridiculous.. it doesn't say anything about the motors, esc's, propellers, etc.. and thats in fact what we who want it naked are more concerned with ;)

by the way.. did you notice the one they flew in the event?.. at the stage? how he said.. "you can hear how quiet it is".. and yes, the buzz was low!, and using it at weddings?, that should imply more than its stability, that its freaking silent! and thats something I would like to upgrade to in my P2 (probably new motors.. and new esc's to accompany them)

Oh.. and thanks for the Welcome!

It does seem there will be a Phantom 3 otherwise what is the P3A advanced from?

It's too easy for them to not do.

They most probably won't.. sadly :(

they would be at serious risk of pissing of a lot of go pro customers who may just give their drone money to go pro

They have.. and thats what's going to happen! (if gopro makes their move in the right moment) ;)

btw.. look at you!!, didn't seem in your last comment that you could think rationally! Im glad you're able to! ;)

Now thats just stupid and has nothing to do what I was talking about. The P3 is a hobby type flyer. 90% of that people flying it will probably shoot in 1080 because of the large and larger files for 4K and 8K down the road.

The example wasn't that stupid.. back in the late 80's there was such comments around.. and look today, how we use mices and more than 64k..

the phantom is not only for hobbyists.. they are pro's using it, making large amounts of money in the aerial business!.. and myself, well 1080p 60fps is nice quality, for the diffecernce between the hero 3+ and 4, or the P3 Advanced vs Professional, I would take the 4k ones! if the price difference between them where bigger, then I would probably gone for 1080p 60fps.

lake_flyer, one of my favorite things about this forum is it's Global nature! I read with interest the commentary of a fellow flyer who is not well-versed in English, and I'm never critical of their English because I am monolingual, while many of you speak multiple languages.

Anyway, while I have a P3P on order, I'm keeping my +V3 so I have something to fly for the next 6 weeks or so. I'll make the decision to cancel or keep my order later - besides, videography is not my strength so I can use the extra practice time...

...and I will probably mostly shoot in 1080p/60 rather than 4k, although I am interested to see how different the videos look when compared to my +V3. I have convinced myself that I am future-proofing by going with the P3P.

Thanks for your comment.. yes the best of the internet is that has opened the doors to global communication!.. this way I have made friends in japan, holland, mexico and the states, between others.. and thats a blast in my eyes! (the bad thing is.. when do I sleep now!! hahaha.. the time difference between us makes it hard!.. (at least to chat.. so forums are a nice thing to have!)

glad to hear you got to pre-order the P3P, If I didn't got mine already, I would probably gone this way too.. and the thing is that, still in its case, I could bringing it back to the store for a refund, or even re-sell it and make some.. but I want to use the gopro!, as I do need this gopro for other things too.. so thats what "kind of" my dilemma is all about!.. if they only had released a naked P3 (P3N?).. I would have get it asap!. now the differences between P2 v1 vs v2, aren't really that much of a difference to really care.. yes better motors, but thats not going to keep me awake, if you know what I mean) ;)

Men you are absolutely right.I believe this company (DJI) its a waste of money.Before some months i payed for a phantom 2 with H3-3D , gopro and a lightbridge system almost 3500 usd,now the new phantom 3 maybe its better than my phantom 2 with the half money maybe less.

not a waste of money.. but yes.. they shouldn't do this to its customers.. not in this way. Instead a more comprehensive way would have been to release a P3 (naked).. and a P3 (Vision + 4k) with say "quieter" motors, the sensors thingy and more gps satellites, thus the latter I guess will be an update for the P2).. but keep it at same price or even $100 more than P2 versions. and let them in the market for a year! then in Q1 2016 (or even Q4 2015) release the full fledged P3 Professional, at $200 more than the P3 "Vision + 4k", this way... that P3P would be better than a P2 with lightbridge, fpv, etc.. and still at half the price, but dji would have done it correctly towards its customers!.. and that wouldn't have been taking as it has been now (a pure rip off to their P2 and i1 customers!)

Here is my take on it....

No one should blame DJI for lowering the price on a better drone vs older drones they sold. That is just stupid.

My opinion on the choice of cameras... 1080 does look different then 4k. My laptop is 3k and I can see the difference...

I'd sell my Vision Plus today if I thought the P3 would not have many bugs. I'm sure it will. How does a company cram $2000 worth of hardware into a $1260 machine?...

yes, they are to blame for how they have done it!.. (read the reply to gppms, right over yours). thats how they should have done it.

I do see vastly difference from 1080p and 4k too!.. on my 15 retina mbp.

Im sure, the P3 has no bugs!.. so if I were you I would be selling my Vision Plus right away!.. and making a pre-order!

why?.. cause the $2000 worth of hardware is our price.. not theirs!... I guesstimate that a P3 with all its glorified specs, do cost them to manufacture around $400, and thats why a $1259 seems a legit price. The inspire being that expensive is again.. not so!.. the inspire do cost aprox $700-800 to make. thus being its price around $3k.

I would buy today an inspire 1 before a P3P.. why?, again because its more "pro" looking!.. and if I work with the quad, to make money, Id like to impress my customers not only with the product I sell them, but also with the equipment I use!.. its like.. going to do a shot for a movie with your P3P, and the director says.. hey.. look at this guys quad!.. I just buyed that to my 16 year old daughter! not cool!!.

but today even "having the money" to buy the inspire, Im making the decision to not "going to afford it", because it would be a crazy overkill for my first drone! but in the future.. well inspire 2 or gopro SubZero!? haha... would probably be the one to get.. even if a P4/P5 could do the same at a fraction of the price.

1st you'd have to know what their operating margins are. Don't forget the economy of scale and the constant downward price pressure on mature...

exactly ;)

I am. If I were to price out the pieces it would be far more then $2000. Look at the other drones on the market right now and what they offer for $1260. It's far less then what the P3 offers. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that DJI has done a great job. I'm only saying that there seems to be a good possibility that they are cramming a lot of expensive hardware into an inexpensive device. Then look at DJI's history on new products.

not exactly the case, but I understand your reasoning.

what is completely true.. is that they could have just upgraded the P2 Vision + with 4k, quieter motors, and that sensor thingy, and sold it for $100 more than the older one. And still they would be many who would buy just for those things, and just being $100 more).

the reality is this... a P3A/P cost them about $400 to make, while the inspire 1 about $800.. now, they are selling their lightbridge at a price that is ridiculous overpriced.. but they could!!.. yeah.. they could until now! because upto 3 days ago if you wanted that tech, you had to get an expensive inspire 1, but now being the cheapo P3 A and P equipped with it, they need to reduce its price.

and as they say, that its not the same device (though I think it is).. they should make available the light bridge in the P3 version available as stand alone at $500 or so! and while still a tad expensive, it would be a "real" option!

4K is waaaaaaay overrated. Professionals may use it but they don't use action cams if they can help it. If you're shooting for yourself, do yourself a favor and shoot in 2.7K. It is the sweet spot of the Exmor / Ambarella imaging system and produces spectacular results.

The upset Norwegian with the new P2 and Hero 4 should be happy to know his Hero 4 black still shoots much better quality than the Inspire or P3. DJI may be using the same hardware but they lack imaging expertise. Who knows if they'll work that hard to get it to match.

And anyone who thinks 8K is around the corner is smoking crack. HD took 20 years. 4K the better part of a decade. My brand new top-of-the-line 5K Retina iMac can barely edit 4K without lagging.

haha.. first of all Im not norwegian ;) but spanish.. living in Norway... and no, Im not upset.. not at all.. really! ;)

4k is not overrated at all.. not for me at least, though I have thought a lot of what gopro to get (if the hero 3+ black or the 4 black), because the 3+ black would do gorgeous 1080p 60fps (though I would probably make 1440p 60fps and then in premiere frame it better, to avoid seeing propellers or the lights).. or fly backwards and then editing it.

the 4, would be a tad short to make 4k at 60fps.. (thats why hero 4+ will be nice) ;) so until then.. I think I would try the 2.7k at 60fps or 48fps

now.. this just from reading on the net... never had a gopro before, so I need to test it in different resolutions to find the one I like the most. ;)

yes I know the hero 4 black shoots better than the inspire and most probably the p3p, and thats why I would have liked to see a Phantom 3 "naked" to get that one instead, and install the gimbal and gopro on that one. ;)

still.. the p2 is a very capable quad.. and we all have seen amazing footage from it, with the hero 3+, so its not going to be a problem, to have fun with it! ;)

as a pro photographer.. I have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix GH4 ;) but if I was going to get a drone for that one.. it would be even more overkill than getting the inspire as a first drone! :p so not yet!.. maybe in some years, if everything seems to work my way ;)

**Disclaimer**

Yes this message is loooong!!.. but I just tried to reply to all those who quoted me, talked about me, or commented on something of what I said. I did use correct forum conduct, and not replied each in a new message... that would have been a lot of new single messages!.. ;)

No one has to read anything, but all are allowed to ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
not a waste of money.. but yes.. they shouldn't do this to its customers.. not in this way. Instead a more comprehensive way would have been to release a P3 (naked).. and a P3 (Vision + 4k) with say "quieter" motors, the sensors thingy and more gps satellites, thus the latter I guess will be an update for the P2).. but keep it at same price or even $100 more than P2 versions. and let them in the market for a year! then in Q1 2016 (or even Q4 2015) release the full fledged P3 Professional, at $200 more than the P3 "Vision + 4k", this way... that P3P would be better than a P2 with lightbridge, fpv, etc.. and still at half the price, but dji would have done it correctly towards its customers!.. and that wouldn't have been taking as it has been now (a pure rip off to their P2 and i1 customers!)

I'm sorry but this would be about the worse business model ever. It should be titled with, "How to fall behind every other company putting out drones". A subtitle could be "How to run DJI into the ground in 2 years"

There are so many drones coming out on the market that will have 4k cameras. Like 4k or not, people will buy into the "better" camera. DJI needed something now to stay on top of the drone market. I'm betting there are also several drones coming out with 1.5 mile video. DJI would know these things. If you sit on tech for a year in this market you might as well start looking for another business. DJI will sell a _ton_ of P3's. The customers they gain will _far_ outweight the few that they piss off by lowering their price.

Bottom line, you can be disappointed but you can't blame a company for offering a better product at a lower price. That is just stupid.

Reactions: Meta4 and Cyclone
Instead they just screwed some hundreds (maybe thousands) today.. that will be glad to see gopro and other companies making them pay for what they have done. (pure and simple: horrible marketing)
It's an unusual situation where a customer is unhappy with a company for delivering better products cheaper ... horrible marketing? Gopro and other companies will only make DJI pay if they can come out with better products cheaper - but that's what you're complaining about??

I would buy today an inspire 1 before a P3P.. why?, again because its more "pro" looking!.. and if I work with the quad, to make money, Id like to impress my customers not only with the product I sell them, but also with the equipment I use!.. its like.. going to do a shot for a movie with your P3P, and the director says.. hey.. look at this guys quad!.. I just buyed that to my 16 year old daughter! not cool!!.
Another approach is to let your work speak for itself. Worrying about the image your equipment should be well down the list of things to be concerned about.

as a pro photographer.. I have been looking at the Panasonic Lumix GH4 ;) but if I was going to get a drone for that one.. it would be even more overkill than getting the inspire as a first drone! :p so not yet!.. maybe in some years, if everything seems to work my way
If DJI continue to develop superior technology at the rate they have so far, in a few years you won't have to lift a heavy terrestrial camera like the GH4 with a jumbo drone. Would you complain then?

Men you are absolutely right.I believe this company (DJI) its a waste of money.Before some months i payed for a phantom 2 with H3-3D , gopro and a lightbridge system almost 3500 usd,now the new phantom 3 maybe its better than my phantom 2 with the half money maybe less.

I don't understand you guys.
Are you saying DJI would be a better company if they released this product for say $1,900 instead of $1,259 or $999. ?????
This is technology guys. Newer, better, and cheaper is to be expected.
I have a feeling you would have complained if the price was higher too.....

You will need to mod your GP4 with the 5,4mm lens to have nice footage, otherwise you have that cheap action cam look compared to the P3 camera. One more thing, the P3 take DNG Raw pictures, a trick the Gopros cant.

Well beni, one things for sure; You're absolutely a communicative guy :)

Wow, what a post, but i must say it turned out a nice conversation. And by the way, I meant the other guys misunderstood you.

As we say in Holland:

"De soep wordt nooit zo heet gegeten als dat die wordt opgediend."
"La sopa nunca se come tan caliente como que se sirve."
"Suppen blir aldri spist så varmt som det som blir servert."
"The soup is never eaten as hot as that being served."

Should be the same or really close. Also I'm guessing the P2 batteries will work for the P3.

P2 and P3 batteries are different. I pre-ordered my P3 thIs week and thought I'd be able to use the 3 batteries I have for my P2. Also P2 with 3 batteries for sale now... :)

I can't wait to buy one of these - the V2+ is good enough for most of our real estate team's needs, but I love the straight horizon with the rectilinear corrected lens. Now to convince my wife... or maybe just have an "accident" with the V2+? Nah, it'd be nice to keep it around for backup.

Does anyone know if the FPV feed will be any higher quality?

From the specs ...
Live View Quality
720P @ 30fps (depending on conditions and mobile device)
At a range of up to 2 km.
That's not just better ... it's a huge improvement.
Excellent - it seems the controller will hold a larger device as well... perfect use for my Galaxy Tab 8.4 pro.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164