DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
All I read on all forums is, DJI made it to cheap!!!

You guys hear how that sounds, you are mad because they sell something better for less money.

I sold my P2V+ V3 today with 3 batts for $1200.. So there's still a market that asks for P2's. I put it on a ad Wednesday, and sold it today, the buyer had no interest in P3.

Guys, this price of 999 and 1299 is final, or pre-order only? Should I expect a price rise after the pre-order period? :) Thanks

its final.. most probably. If not, they should have said so.. and they didn't.

I was just stating, what a "good" practice is, and that any company should be doing to reward their early adopters, those who take the plunge right away, not knowing how it really a product will end up being. But it seems companies prefer the "bad" practice... (at least bad in my eyes).. of selling a product from day 1 at $xxx for so just reduce it as time goes by... in a way I understand them, they won't take a chance to not cover their expenses.. but see?.. they are those who trusted most in the company and the product, that ends up paying the most!... so, is that really fair?

If you want it, get it!.. when?.. I should wait at least a month. Firstly because now is NAB show.. starts officially later today (12-15 april).. and there are going to be some great products out there, that who knows?.. maybe its close or better than dji? and maybe at a really low price?.. maybe dji knew this, and had to reduce its planned price for the phantom 3?.. who really knows?!.. and then still if, theres nothing that appeals you more than the phantom 3.. wait until some reviews start popping out on the web!.. because maybe.. it isn't so great as it seems!? (Personally I believe it will be.. but will to take the chance? ;)

All I read on all forums is, DJI made it to cheap!!!

You guys hear how that sounds, you are mad because they sell something better for less money.

I sold my P2V+ V3 today with 3 batts for $1200.. So there's still a market that asks for P2's. I put it on a ad Wednesday, and sold it today, the buyer had no interest in P3.

again.. new costumers will be thrilled... but all of those that have buyed into P2 + lightbridge + this & that... how can they not be mad!!? we are talking about thousands of dollars!.. for some it may be like pennies.. but for others, could be a couple of years if not more of setting aside some savings!! and then right after (or soon after), the new iteration came at better specs than (not only the P2 <-- that would be to expect!).. but better than all the upgrades available together, at a fraction of the price!!

and the guy who buyed your P2V+ V3 with 3 batts for $1200, has made a great buy!.. until he knows about the P3!... heck!.. even the P3 Advance is better than what you sold him.. and cost less!! So you ripped him off!. (technically), though in this case you didn't.. because you gave him a fair price! (taking the price you paid for it).. but.. if he knew already about the P3 and still didn't care... then he got to much money to care!.. he just make the switch whenever he feels for it... but if he knew about the P3 prices and exactly what he would get for the price... he's a fucktard for buying your old used P2V+ w/3batts for more!

Although 4K is not for everyone, for those of us with the horsepower (I have 4 cores, 64 GB of Ram, a 3.2 Ghz CPU, and 2 SSD scratch drives) it's nice to have that option. For me, mainly, it's the ability to crop 4K down to 1080p (including digitally zooming images in post). MOST of the time, though, I agree with you that 2.7K is a better option.

I am very curious about why you think the GoPro is better than the new (no the Vision's) DJI cameras. I don't know either way, though I like the rectilinear concept that DJI is offering. If I though I could get better video and stills with the P3 then with my P2 & GoPro, I'd switch right away, but the jury is still out on that.

Any additional insight you can give on the GoPro 4 vs the newer DJI cameras would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Exactly.. 4k is great if you have the horsepower to work with it.. (myself have a macbook retina 15 with the 2.3ghz intel core i7 (quad-core), 16gb 1600mgz ddr3, nvidia GeForce GT750 2048 mb. with 512 mb flash storage, though have several TB in external usb3 ssd drives. So no problem.. I guess. (have also a hackintosh with nice specs, though Im using only the laptop nowadays)

I just got a great deal on the gopro hero4 black "adventure" at a store in my country, at exactly $400 bucks! when it retails at $604 in any other store.. (while its $499.99 in the states). So Im happy with getting this great price ;)

About the quality of GoPro vs P3's camera, its impossible to say, until it comes out and gets tested.. but what others have said might be correct, and thats that, the camera most probably are the same as in the inspire 1 or a tad inferior.. so, then would still be the gopro who wins, as today gopro hero4 black is better than the one in the inspire1 (so they say.. I haven't tested it, nor watched any comparison videos on youtube)

again.. new costumers will be thrilled... but all of those that have buyed into P2 + lightbridge + this & that... how can they not be mad!!? we are talking about thousands of dollars!.. for some it may be like pennies.. but for others, could be a couple of years if not more of setting aside some savings!! and then right after (or soon after), the new iteration came at better specs than (not only the P2 <-- that would be to expect!).. but better than all the upgrades available together, at a fraction of the price!!

and the guy who buyed your P2V+ V3 with 3 batts for $1200, has made a great buy!.. until he knows about the P3!... heck!.. even the P3 Advance is better than what you sold him.. and cost less!! So you ripped him off!. (technically), though in this case you didn't.. because you gave him a fair price! (taking the price you paid for it).. but.. if he knew already about the P3 and still didn't care... then he got to much money to care!.. he just make the switch whenever he feels for it... but if he knew about the P3 prices and exactly what he would get for the price... he's a fucktard for buying your old used P2V+ w/3batts for more!

You clearly need to read my post again, the buyer had NO interest in P3, even if it has better camera, or better and better, there's no fish eye but less MP 14 vs 12. He bought mine because there's a ton of spare parts and mods out there, there's nothing to P3 yet, we don't even know if they will fit 100% in P2 cases, we will have to wait 1-2 months before we get more batteries. With a P2 you can fly now.

He also got a backpack and other stuff so no I did not rip him off, P2 has not been in stock for a while in Sweden and he wanted a V3 now. I payed 11.500SEK to DJI + the extra stuff. He got it all for 10.500SEK.

Or you suppose I forced him to buy my P2? LOL

I get it's hard to sell electronics in U.S. and UK, the market is flooded when something new comes, Sweden is a little behind. Sure there are P2's on the market here too now, but not as much as in other countries.

Last edited:
Excellent - it seems the controller will hold a larger device as well... perfect use for my Galaxy Tab 8.4 pro.
Don't be so sure. That tablet is a little long in the tooth to be live streaming 720p/30.

Don't be so sure. That tablet is a little long in the tooth to be live streaming 720p/30.
Really? It's last year's model. Seems pretty powerful to me, though I'm not a tablet expert.

Really? It's last year's model. Seems pretty powerful to me, though I'm not a tablet expert.
Eh, maybe you're right. Inspire pilots all recommend the Nvidia Shield tablet, I've not really heard of anyone using a GTab. Guess you'll have to give it a shot and report back. gl

I agree with you bbfpv, most inspire pilots i have spoke to either use a IOS device (ipad mini 2 or 3 or a Air 2) or on android a Nvidia Shield. This seems to be about the only android tablet that comes highly recommended on most forums and youtube i have searched this subject loads and evryone seems to say the same thing. IOS above or the Nvidia Shield. Again no expert, only what i have watched and read about, sure there are others out there that will work good all so.

You clearly need to read my post again, the buyer had NO interest in P3, even if it has better camera, or better and better, there's no fish eye but less MP 14 vs 12. He bought mine because there's a ton of spare parts and mods out there, there's nothing to P3 yet, we don't even know if they will fit 100% in P2 cases, we will have to wait 1-2 months before we get more batteries. With a P2 you can fly now.

He also got a backpack and other stuff so no I did not rip him off, P2 has not been in stock for a while in Sweden and he wanted a V3 now. I payed 11.500SEK to DJI + the extra stuff. He got it all for 10.500SEK.

Or you suppose I forced him to buy my P2? LOL

I get it's hard to sell electronics in U.S. and UK, the market is flooded when something new comes, Sweden is a little behind. Sure there are P2's on the market here too now, but not as much as in other countries.

well.. if you see where Im from (Norway).. you would know, that I understand how it might be in Sweden, cause we aren't in the EU, so here's is even worse availability and more expensive everything.

I see it new (phantom 2 vision+ v3.0) in sweden at Hobby Equipment for 8.950 SEK, or (10.995 with extra battery) or for 10.495 SEK at Hobbex , but ok.. Im not going to say anything about what you sold it for and if you ripped him off or not.. second hand is second hand.. you ask for a price, and if you get it.. you get happy!. ;)

But not buying a P3 and paying that much for the P2 vision+ is kind of stupid, even in scandinavia where we might have to wait even more than the rest to get our spare parts. (eBay though would make them accessible faster).

Now before you get your P3.. check out 3DR Solo! ;)

Yesterday (or was it this morning? (depends on where you are).. 3DR announced their "Solo" quad!.. and NOW we know why Dji had to force its price down the way they did.

So can I be mad at dji for doing this now?.. no, not anymore! they did it because if not, they would have been crushed!

Now.. if I were in the market for the newest and best quad out there.. it wouldn't be dji phantom 3!.. sorry dji. I believe 3DR has the best product with their "Solo", and its $1400 with gimbal.. and you must add a gopro 3+ or 4, but everything else is amazing (720p streaming to remote too).. and its BLACK! ;)

between Dji P3 and 3DR Solo the cheaper option is Dji, and thats what will keep them alive, but the best of them two.. is the Solo.. and if you already forgot the money you put on your gopro 3+ or 4, you should go this way. If you have to buy it now, or just got it, then maybe a P2 will still do the trick.. but you will pay close to what a P3 is.

to me personally, a P2 with h3-3d (modded) + Hero4 and analog fpv, will be more than sufficient for now, even if Im still buying the parts as we speak. But for my next one in a couple of years, may be a 3DR (if not an Inspire 2 or 3 for $1400!)

well.. if you see where Im from (Norway).. you would know, that I understand how it might be in Sweden, cause we aren't in the EU, so here's is even worse availability and more expensive everything.

I see it new (phantom 2 vision+ v3.0) in sweden at Hobby Equipment for 8.950 SEK, or (10.995 with extra battery) or for 10.495 SEK at Hobbex , but ok.. Im not going to say anything about what you sold it for and if you ripped him off or not.. second hand is second hand.. you ask for a price, and if you get it.. you get happy!. ;)

But not buying a P3 and paying that much for the P2 vision+ is kind of stupid, even in scandinavia where we might have to wait even more than the rest to get our spare parts. (eBay though would make them accessible faster).

Now before you get your P3.. check out 3DR Solo! ;)
3 batteries, gimbal plate, gimbal guard, backpack..thats atleast 13.000:- ;)

Also, sounds stupid to call some other not yet released or tested drone better than phantom.
You never know when you have to eat your own words.. 3DR has not proven anything yet, not even a review of the drone from anyone. Even if they claim their drone can do this and that you never know if the functions even work. You can clearly see in the video that it does not circle around the object it is supposed to circle around, it makes small turns and that ruins the shot. It just makes small adjustments not like a smooth circle..

People called the Q-500 for Phantom killer..yeah..I don't even know anyone who owns a Yuneec product yet. At least when a phantom crashes it's rebuildable, those Q-500's that go down end up in a pile of trash.

Last edited:
3 batteries, gimbal plate, gimbal guard, backpack..thats atleast 13.000:- ;)

haha.. ;) (gimbal plate?.. vision+ comes with that doesn't it?)... anyhow, yeah... the backpack (if not an ebay cheapo) could be reason enough to pay all that much.. but again, I wouldn't!

In fact.. if all you want is 1080p and dont care about 4k, I would have gone with the Hubsan X4 Pro H109S (7" touchscreen included in the controller.. <-- yes, a bit to big, but its cool) at $959!! (check it out!)

Now before you get your P3.. check out 3DR Solo!

So can I be mad at dji for doing this now?.. no, not anymore! they did it because if not, they would have been crushed!

Now.. if I were in the market for the newest and best quad out there.. it wouldn't be dji phantom 3!.. sorry dji. I believe 3DR has the best product with their "Solo", and its $1400 with gimbal.. and you must add a gopro 3+ or 4, but everything else is amazing (720p streaming to remote too).. and its BLACK! ;)
Buy one if you want but I did check the Solo specs and price and the choice is a total no brainer and 3DR isn't the winner.
It's nice that the hard core Gopro fans can now control their cameras properly in flight.
But US$1400 plus the camera, range 0.5 mile flight time 20 mins and you are still stuck with fisheye ... not even in the race.

haha.. ;) (gimbal plate?.. vision+ comes with that doesn't it?)... anyhow, yeah... the backpack (if not an ebay cheapo) could be reason enough to pay all that much.. but again, I wouldn't!

In fact.. if all you want is 1080p and dont care about 4k, I would have gone with the Hubsan X4 Pro H109S (7" touchscreen included in the controller.. <-- yes, a bit to big, but its cool) at $959!! (check it out!)

Gimbal protector plate.
Just this and killer RC was like 1000:-..
http://electronicarc.com/images/Protector_Gimbal_d.JPG

It's great now that more choices are coming on-line.

Who expects one model to be for everyone?

Buy one if you want but I did check the Solo specs and price and the choice is a total no brainer and 3DR isn't the winner.
It's nice that the hard core Gopro fans can now control their cameras properly in flight.
But US$1400 plus the camera, range 0.5 mile flight time 20 mins and you are still stuck with fisheye ... not even in the race.

Yeah DJI owns the market big time. With P3 it's like a comparing a...yeah..it's not even worth comparing, all other manufacturers are way down on the list.

I read a stat that DJI sold over 500,000 Phantoms in 2014 vs. 3DR 50,000.

I think 3DR is going to make up some ground with the Solo, but its no question who is #1.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor