DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
Another thing I've noticed, if your phone is connected to the controller via a cable instead of wifi then does that mean FPV with something like Fatsharks (using MHL out of phone to HDMI in at the goggle end) is impossible now?

I don't have a tablet yet for my P3 and I was thinking I'd get a GTab 8.4 since I can get it relatively cheaply (under $300) locally. What other devices would you recommend as alternatives for a P3? Thx
I've seen some people using the Nexus 7 2013 model which can be had for under $200. I'm personally going to go w/ the Shield tablet because of the beefy GPU and the fact it's got an sd card slot, and a stock screen recorder.

The landing gear is - taller and wider.

Regarding the landing gear, I just realized that my gimbal/camera protector mounted between the legs of the landing gear will get in the way of the positioning sensors...

I was one of the first buyers of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus. In fact, mine doesn't even have a version number on it (2 or 3). I had an FC40 before the P2V+, so I was comfortable with the flight controls and impressed with the improvements in range, flight time and capabilities right away.

There were a number of problems I had to overcome, such as poor GPS signals (foil mod), lack of camera tilt control (dial mod), broken gimbal (had to buy a new one-no ribbon cables yet), firmware updates from 1.08 to 3.12 with greater restrictions of flight and GPS fencing, swelling batteries (bought new one), "fly away" fear mongering, lack of customer support, and a bad WiFi module (overheat... new one solved it).

Despite all that, I got a solid platform to film. WIth the addition of FPVLR.com's antenna's I was able to increase range of the 640X480 30fps preview screen to 800m+, and up to 1.2km with lower resolution. Killer RC's gimbal protector plate gave me more confidence, and Flytrex Live gave me piece of mind and some great telemetry recording. DJI eventually got the firmware right, and gave us manual camera tilt control, GPS waypoints and WiFi & cell usage for the app.

I paid $1369 for the P2V+, $300 for the FPVLR antennas, $280 for Flytrex Live, $159 for a new battery, $150 for a backpack, $129 for a new WiFi unit, $600+ for a new camera/gimbal and at least $150 in miscellaneous additional stuff (Killer RC, petal lens, ND filter, props, etc). That's a grand total of $3,137 ($2537 without the gimbal replacement). I have had it for 12 months. That is an investment of $230-$261 per month. This has eaten up my "fun money" hobby budget, but its less than a few rounds of golf/month, or one day on a boat. Not a bad bang for the buck, especially if your using the **** thing all the time.

I salivated at the DJI launch event for the Inspire, but I was concerned about the price and size, as well as growing pains. This turned out to be justified, but the Inspire has become a pretty darn good "pro-sumer" option, just not for me.

Now the Phantom 3 is upon us. I'm not one to be a fanboy of any company, especially DJI. I won't argue about a camera I haven't used, flight times, performance, mod-ability, range (in dense New Jersey), etc, until the community has its hands on a few hundred P3's in various conditions. Hopefully it doesn't have a rash of issues after "first ship" like every other DJI product since the P2. I still want one, bad.

If I go with the Professional w/ extra battery ($1369), a case ($200), and an iPad mini 3 ($350), I'm looking at a starting investment of $1,919. If its lasts a year, and I don't drop it off a balcony and snap the gimbal while inebriated again, my monthly hobby cost becomes $160/mo, and I still have a great P2V+ to screw around with in addition to a P3.

On the other hand, right now my monthly hobby cost is $0, I have a great quad that shoots pretty good images, and I know its a solid platform without surprise issues.

I may wait this one out a few months, but I'll probably get one.

Last edited:
I've seen some people using the Nexus 7 2013 model which can be had for under $200. I'm personally going to go w/ the Shield tablet because of the beefy GPU and the fact it's got an sd card slot, and a stock screen recorder.

Best android device for Lightbridge you can get. Still not as smooth as an a7 or higher ios device.

Hey guys. Had some hands on flight time yesterday with the P3. Battery life was averaging 19 mins with heavy flight. Second flight was 21 mins. Not bad.

This thing is amazing. Huge step up from the P2. One of the biggest things noticeable is the punch and power of it. Lots of thrust and great top speeds. We had it up to 50mph in atti

I was one of the first buyers of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus. In fact, mine doesn't even have a version number on it (2 or 3). I had an FC40 before the P2V+, so I was comfortable with the flight controls and impressed with the improvements in range, flight time and capabilities right away.

There were a number of problems I had to overcome, such as poor GPS signals (foil mod), lack of camera tilt control (dial mod), broken gimbal (had to buy a new one-no ribbon cables yet), firmware updates from 1.08 to 3.12 with greater restrictions of flight and GPS fencing, swelling batteries (bought new one), "fly away" fear mongering, lack of customer support, and a bad WiFi module (overheat... new one solved it).

Despite all that, I got a solid platform to film. WIth the addition of FPVLR.com's antenna's I was able to increase range of the 640X480 30fps preview screen to 800m+, and up to 1.2km with lower resolution. Killer RC's gimbal protector plate gave me more confidence, and Flytrex Live gave me piece of mind and some great telemetry recording. DJI eventually got the firmware right, and gave us manual camera tilt control, GPS waypoints and WiFi & cell usage for the app.

I paid $1369 for the P2V+, $300 for the FPVLR antennas, $280 for Flytrex Live, $159 for a new battery, $150 for a backpack, $129 for a new WiFi unit, $600+ for a new camera/gimbal and at least $150 in miscellaneous additional stuff (Killer RC, petal lens, ND filter, props, etc). That's a grand total of $3,137 ($2537 without the gimbal replacement). I have had it for 12 months. That is an investment of $230-$261 per month. This has eaten up my "fun money" hobby budget, but its less than a few rounds of golf/month, or one day on a boat. Not a bad bang for the buck, especially if your using the **** thing all the time.

I salivated at the DJI launch event for the Inspire, but I was concerned about the price and size, as well as growing pains. This turned out to be justified, but the Inspire has become a pretty darn good "pro-sumer" option, just not for me.

Now the Phantom 3 is upon us. I'm not one to be a fanboy of any company, especially DJI. I won't argue about a camera I haven't used, flight times, performance, mod-ability, range (in dense New Jersey), etc, until the community has its hands on a few hundred P3's in various conditions. Hopefully it doesn't have a rash of issues after "first ship" like every other DJI product since the P2. I still want one, bad.

If I go with the Professional w/ extra battery ($1369), a case ($200), and an iPad mini 3 ($350), I'm looking at a starting investment of $1,919. If its lasts a year, and I don't drop it off a balcony and snap the gimbal while inebriated again, my monthly hobby cost becomes $160/mo, and I still have a great P2V+ to screw around with in addition to a P3.

On the other hand, right now my monthly hobby cost is $0, I have a great quad that shoots pretty good images, and I know its a solid platform without surprise issues.

I may wait this one out a few months, but I'll probably get one.
Joe where in Jersey are you? I crashed 3 phantoms while inebriated. It got to the point, if I drank and flew a guaranteed crash. The p2v was the most forgiving. Thank you.

Hey guys. Had some hands on flight time yesterday with the P3. Battery life was averaging 19 mins with heavy flight. Second flight was 21 mins. Not bad.

This thing is amazing. Huge step up from the P2. One of the biggest things noticeable is the punch and power of it. Lots of thrust and great top speeds. We had it up to 50mph in atti

Thanks for the post! What % were you taking the battery down to exactly?

I've been waiting for "hands on" reviews to come in before pulling the trigger, and with the limited P3's out there & reviews here, it may just be time. Just got authorization to send my P2 to DJI for repair (flyaway) and with the P3's shipping now, there should be a whole lot of reviews & videos coming shortly. So.....I figure that if I place my order now, and bad things happen on this release, I can always cancel and wait it out. If not, I'll still get it around May 20 via Amazon from Drones Etc. I ordered the P3P + battery. I am exited just like everyone else, but until I can get the controller in my hands & hear the sound of 10,000 mosquitoes myself, I'll read your posts and learn.

Reactions: leekiya
I've been waiting for "hands on" reviews to come in before pulling the trigger, and with the limited P3's out there & reviews here, it may just be time. Just got authorization to send my P2 to DJI for repair (flyaway) and with the P3's shipping now, there should be a whole lot of reviews & videos coming shortly. So.....I figure that if I place my order now, and bad things happen on this release, I can always cancel and wait it out. If not, I'll still get it around May 20 via Amazon from Drones Etc. I ordered the P3P + battery. I am exited just like everyone else, but until I can get the controller in my hands & hear the sound of 10,000 mosquitoes myself, I'll read your posts and learn.
Kind of in the same boat. Need to see if DJI will repair/replace my P2 that failed in the air. However, I'm giving 3DR a shot with the Solo. Better customer service, better warranties, and I love my GoPro with the modded lens.

I may go with a Shield as well. It was made for gaming by the people who make all the gaming graphics, which should make it very responsive. I also like the sd slot.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic