DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
I suspect the multi rotor team at GoPro have a lump in their throat over the price.

The +$100 adder for extra battery -- any chance that signals the standalone P3 battery price? I doubt it.

Will the optical sensor work over water? Very curious on that.

Pixelation would be a bummer. Range seems good, but not as good as 5.4G.

What are goggle options? I am not sufficiently familiar with Inspire or LightBridge to know.

SDK: is DJI really serious about opening up the apps space?

Live streaming is interesting. Mid-flight camera changes nice. Flytrex-like features interesting. Tough to outfit a P2 + H4-3D + GH4 + FPV + Flytrex for $1,000.

Overall: not for me, but impressed by price. Competition good for us all.

Kelly

Reactions: Fplvert
I suspect the multi rotor team at GoPro have a lump in their throat over the price.

Will the optical sensor work over water? Very curious on that.
I suspect that more than just Gopro have a lump in their throat over the the P3 and its price and its tech.

The sensor will work over water ... as long as you can find some with a clear pattern.
Operating Environment
Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (Lux > 15)

So does anyone know what the range on this thing is? I've got a FPVLR stage 2 kit coming tomorrow for my P2V+. Might just hold off on fitting it....

Check out the specs. on the DJI site.

It say max 2000m unobstructed. Will be interesting to see what real people get in the real world.

They are listed for purchase on the DJI site. What annoys me though is Australia tax. AU$2099 for the pro model with extra battery, $1950 with one battery. No Advanced model listed

At that price I think I'll stick with my P2V+

SDK: is DJI really serious about opening up the apps space?

Kelly

last time i checked the sdk tos, dji owned the apps you developed, which sucks...

Hmmm... It's not for me. But, if I had a P2V+, this would be a great upgrade. If I had an Inspire... well, I'd be pretty unhappy right now. They done did undercut the Inspire. Hard.

With two P2 birds, Lightbridge, Futaba controller, and Hero 4 blacks, I am pretty sure I'm happily staying put. Sure, I paid more for it all and it was anything but turnkey, but it's still the best option for shooting the best quality video in a portable platform.

Nice equipment for sure Ian, but until we see how good the new 4k camera is and how well the new gps works we don't know whether you are better off or not...

Note for Aussies for the advanced model from DJI website:

"Orders will be shipped based on the order in which they were paid, starting in mid May"

The pro model ships late April.

Much as I'd love one of these new models I think it best to wait to hear about the issues first. Oh well, looks like I'm fitting that FPVLR stage 2 kit after all!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 6.37.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 6.37.59 PM.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 463
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/feature

On the bottom right unless my lack of sleep is misinterpreting it.
Yes ... that's confused a lot of people.
You have to read the words above them
Have a new idea that requires a view from the sky?
Develop your own app by using the DJI Software Development Kit. The Phantom 3 platform is fully
open and allows you to program apps that: ...... Follow Me, Ground Station & POI etc etc

Yep no waypoints, poi or follow me. The door is only open for developers to create these features in future

The "new"4k camera and "new" gps have been around all year in the Inspire. They aren't unknown quantities.

Exactly. And from what I see out of the Inspire, it's good but the Hero 4 black is still much better. Despite the advantage of a rectilinear lens and the same hardware under the hood, Inspire cams still struggle with compression issues, limited latitude, over sharpening and jerky exposure.

DJI has certainly put a lot of effort to get the image quality up there but I doubt they'll be refining it much further simply to please a finicky minority.

Think I will hold off until all 6 of my P2V batteries tank out. Maybe all the kinks will be worked out then.

That camera has me drooling. I would love to see the internals (any solid wires) before I buy!

I already replied.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl