DJI and P2V+ Burning through my data plan

All apps use up data in the background, thats why there are appkiller apps and task manager apps. Its minimal. Trust me, I know this stuff and I look at my data usage probably once a day. Please ring your phone company and ask them how much data you have left this month. It will be nothing compared to what you think unless you are downloading something when you dont realise that you are. Its very late here and I have to hit the pillows but please tell me what they tell you, and if they do tell you that you have used huge amounts of data they can tell you the source of it. Please can someine else weigh in on this.....

srandall25 said:
Just saw you're using a droid... there should be an equivalent setting to turn off cellular capability to the Vision specific app...

There is, but I would have to turn it back on to be able to hook up to Google Maps while flying.

There is no way it can use your data. I would put it in airplane mode when you fly it. It only needs wifi, which has nothing to do with your data.

480sparky said:
srandall25 said:
Just saw you're using a droid... there should be an equivalent setting to turn off cellular capability to the Vision specific app...

There is, but I would have to turn it back on to be able to hook up to Google Maps while flying.
Not necessarily, you could simply just use your home (or some other) open wifi... you don't have to cache the maps on site... you can cache the map data of where you know you're planning to fly in advance... no cellular data required...

But it's not using cell data !
I had a android wifi only device at first and it worked fine. Why would it need cell data? You sure you don't have kids or grand kids downloading or playing games on line ? Are you using gps or pandora on your phone ? Navigation gps will suck data up.

• 1. When connected to the Phantom_XXXXX network, you're not using cellular data.
    2. When not connected to the Phantom_XXXXX, close the app completely. No data will be used (cellular or otherwise).
Done.

Mori55 said:
But it's not using cell data !
I had a android wifi only device at first and it worked fine. Why would it need cell data? You sure you don't have kids or grand kids downloading or playing games on line ? Are you using gps or pandora on your phone ? Navigation gps will suck data up.

even using navigation gps wont consume that amount of data.

im a runner, i track my daily runs with nike+ and runkeeper (both apps at the same time, every day) and run between 8-10kms daily and im consuming no more than 50 mb a month per app.

turn on wifi, open the app and go to maps (the map will cache in the phone) turn data off and do a flight test.

8676309 said:
  • 1. When connected to the Phantom_XXXXX network, you're not using cellular data.
    2. When not connected to the Phantom_XXXXX, close the app completely. No data will be used (cellular or otherwise).
Done.

Once again: I have not launched the app at all today. I have not started it. I never launched it. Yet:

DJIScreenshot-2.jpg

The phone says it's using data.

srandall25 said:
480sparky said:
srandall25 said:

Not necessarily, you could simply just use your home (or some other) open wifi... you don't have to cache the maps on site... you can cache the map data of where you know you're planning to fly in advance... no cellular data required...

How do you cache maps on the site you want to fly on WiFi in advance ?

desertphantom said:
well, I haven't actually used the new app, but based on what I've read, you simply bring up the map and move to where you want to be and it automatically caches that area in memory.. zoom in to ensure you have the detail needed...

srandall25 said:
desertphantom said:
well, I haven't actually used the new app, but based on what I've read, you simply bring up the map and move to where you want to be and it automatically caches that area in memory.. zoom in to ensure you have the detail needed...
Thats it exactly.

480sparky said:
8676309 said:
Done.

Once again: I have not launched the app at all today. I have not started it. I never launched it. Yet:

DJIScreenshot-2.jpg

The phone says it's using data.
Did you ring your phone provider yet?

Have you shut down your app? Or is it still running in the background? Just believe us all when we tell you that you are not burning up your data plan. I dont think I can be of any more help here, sorry.

i have interesting facts...

i dont own a drone, but i downloaded and installed dji app on my phone (iphone 5s)

while i was driving from my house to the cinema (about 5km) i took the first screenshot, then i opened the app and went directly to the maps. i downloaded the map and switch to satelite view, i drove around 10 minutes with the app open and when i arrived to the cinema checked for data consume (8mb). i minimized the app while watching the movie, drove back to my house and checked again for data consume.

boooooooooom 15.7mb just for downloading the map and running the app in the background :shock:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 270
chapsrlz said:
i have interesting facts...

i dont own a drone, but i downloaded and installed dji app on my phone (iphone 5s)

while i was driving from my house to the cinema (about 5km) i took the first screenshot, then i opened the app and went directly to the maps. i downloaded the map and switch to satelite view, i drove around 10 minutes with the app open and when i arrived to the cinema checked for data consume (8mb). i minimized the app while watching the movie, drove back to my house and checked again for data consume.

boooooooooom 15.7mb just for downloading the map and running the app in the background :shock:
Very interesting,
You dont own a drone yet you downloaded the dji app and have made 21 posts on this site?
Very interesting ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl