My Vision did its final "plunge"

Reaction score
Last night I had a weird encounter while flying. I had my P3P and other 2 series drones in the air at the same time. I used my phone for the 2 series (P2V) which I havent used for a long time. The app on the phone (Litchi for P2) was not setup properly that I recall). My tablet was being used to fly the P3P.

Not sure how to explain, but my P2V lost video feed or total signal not far from where I was over open water. I was recording the screen on the tablet for the P3P when I was playing it back, I saw the message across the bottom "connected to Phantom wi fi...." a couple times which seemed odd since I was using the "Go App" and had the USB plugged into the P3P controller. I was using my phone to fly the vision so i guess both devices were trying to pick up the WiFi at the same time. By the time I got the connected message it was almost 10 minutes into the flight. The relay drone was still up in air.

I was able to get the flight data from Litchi up until the signal loss. Altitude was 250 and lowest was 185. All over water.

All I can recall, is on my phone in the settings for Litchi "go home on low battery" was NOT selected. But it was set properly on my tablet, even though it was not used for this flight, but still picked up wi fi signal.

My guess is it stopped and hovered when it lost signal and stayed there until the battery got to low and landed in the lake. I did a data reset on my phone 2 months ago and didnt go into the apps to re configure the go home settings since I normally dont use my phone for flying anymore. It was my last minute decision to fly using both tablet and phone since I had a second person with me. OH well..

I guess I will be getting a PLUS model to use with my relay drone. In the meantime, I plan on taking my boat out on the small lake and try to snag my other drone with a Deep sea rod and large treble hook.

By coincidence, I just unclicked my "go home" option on low battery yesterday. I figure if I have low battery, I should already be going home and I don't need it to be trying to take control. I don't like that it auto-lands (or goes home) at 15% whether you like it or not. But there's apparently nothing we can do about it on a P2V - which makes things more challenging.

Sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. That was my second Vision model. The first one I got back and I rebuilt it and Im using it to carry both repeaters. Now I need to find a Vplus model so i can continue with my 2 drone repeater setup. I was thinking of getting a P3 Standard but the wi fi repeater is inside the radio and cant be used like the extender with the 2 series. The Developer of REDBird is working on a solution with the P3 standard wi fi. Hope he does soon, as I can get a brand new P3 Standard for a good price. Just that I have 3 P2 series batteries that may not work in a Standard model. I still have my P3P, so im not to depressed but it does hurt the wallet some, expecially when I had a Roto Pixal gimbal on it, lucky I didnt pay the full price for it. But its still a loss. I still have a good camera from my first Vision that still works good.

Yeah I was thinking of getting me one of those REDBird repeaters too. l would like to get a signal over the tree line here. Or at least get a better angle. My idea was to mount it on an aluminum flag pole rather than another Phantom. It's either that or use cable, but there's so much signal loss in the cable. Or maybe I could amp both ends of the cable. I dunno. I gotta think about it.

It can be used both ways. Ive had good results with mine. When i ran low on batteries I just placed the repeater drone on top of my van and flew the other the same way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik