Mobile Device & Data Plan Dilemma – What’s a mother to do?

Reaction score
Need some advice regarding using a mobile device with data or without and Mobile devices, I read so much and its mostly for P3 & P4

I’m presently using my Samsung Note 4 (Andriod 6) which is my daily use phone. I reboot it and try to shut down most of the unneeded apps before flying and the stupid thing still crashes a few times during the Flight using DJI app 1.0.61 in FPV. I’m looking at going with the Samsung S8 and keeping my Samsung Note 4 strictly for flight (wiping it of course) I also have the option of keeping my wife’s iPhone 6s so thinking that might be the better option since we both are getting new phones. Thoughts?

How is the IOS app?

Second question is with no data plan, I know I can fly with WiFi and cash the maps is what I read. The DJI Phantom 2 app not sure it cashes maps or has setting to do so. I haven’t tried Litchi yet because my bird was doing some pretty strange things and read I need to uninstall DJI to fly it. So with all that said it looks like I can fly it as long as my device had Wifi and GPS. Is there any downside to not having a data plan (internet) on your phone while flying?? Maybe switch flying apps too?

How is the IOS app?

I haven’t tried Litchi yet because my bird was doing some pretty strange things and read I need to uninstall DJI to fly it. So with all that said it looks like I can fly it as long as my device had Wifi and GPS. Is there any downside to not having a data plan (internet) on your phone while flying?? Maybe switch flying apps too?
The iOS app is fine, just like the Android version, hardly any differences.
You don't need to uninstall anything to use Litchi.
There's no problem having them both installed, just don't have Litchi and DJI go running at the same time.
There is no need for a data plan at all to fly.
Probably half the users fly with a wifi only tablet and no data at all.

And if your device doesn't have GPS (most do except non-cellular iPads).
GPS on the tablet is only used for follow-me flight and resetting home to your current location (like if you were on a moving boat).
Everything else is done by the Phantom's own GPS receiver.

The iOS app is fine, just like the Android version, hardly any differences.
You don't need to uninstall anything to use Litchi.
There's no problem having them both installed, just don't have Litchi and DJI go running at the same time.
There is no need for a data plan at all to fly.
Probably half the users fly with a wifi only tablet and no data at all.

And if your device doesn't have GPS (most do except non-cellular iPads).
GPS on the tablet is only used for follow-me flight and resetting home to your current location (like if you were on a moving boat).
Everything else is done by the Phantom's own GPS receiver.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I'll try Litchi again and see how it does. Probably just keep the Note 4 and wipe it to use for the DJI app.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj