DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

I noticed that I only needed to use the reflector on 1 antenna. adding the 2nd reflector barely did anything. I think I may try the original 12dbi version. my smaller versions barely worked. the 9dbi version gave me maybe 10-50% more range. will have to do more testing to be sure, I didn't realize until I was done flying that it takes a few seconds for signal to recover... its definitely not instant...

It seems a collinear folded dipole antenna at 1/4 wave length.. Really basic pcb antenna. To make a reflector you need >1 wave length focal plane distance from radiator. 1 wave length (~12.5cm) is not practical, so you can short to 1/2, loosing few dbi... To regain some dbi I will use a parabolic reflector... But for what I see in your images, the reflector seems too near to antenna radiator... What calculations have you used ?

in the dbs mods video tutorial, you can also see what the antenna looks like. you can actually see the pcb trace of the antenna, although its from an inspire, it should likely be the same for p3...
antenna runs the full length pretty much...

Thanks for the video. That confirmed my speculation of dual band PCB antenna, though P3 only use 2.4G antenna or eliminating 5.8G one.

I think taller/wider reflector increasing gain (narrowing beamwidth), but flying Phantom needs to balance the gain and beamwidth.

well, I ordered a 3D printer just so I can print some of these out and maybe a couple other projects.
gonna print the 9dbi, 12dbi windsurfer and one similar to david's that will fit with both antennas parallel...
I know everyone at my field will want one, once they see that it works...

Lowest price on a Da Vinci: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8840001&cm_re=da_vinci-_-28-840-001-_-Product

$299 free shipping, no tax in NY

This is what I made based off the original post PDF file.

I went from 1000-1600 feet to over 5000 Ft in distance. I have noticed they seem pretty directional due to their smaller size.

For example if I am flying the drone straight up and the signal become weak I can point the reflectors at the drone and the signal increases right away.

I would be curious to see different dimension and curve designs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,012
Flew 2.5 Miles (4km) out today with my DIY parabolic deflectors. Had full signal strength all the time. My next long distance goal is 3.5 miles. This mod works fantastic!! The only limiting factor now is battery capacity :)
Which model phantom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok updated design... Things that were updated include (added cable guide, better fit, clearance dimple for controller buttons, and repositioned the antenna for more db gain) for those that want to know the distance from quadrant of the reflector to the center of the antenna radiator it is 1/2 inch. I took it out for a test run getting a little more gutsy & starting with 60% on battery took it up and out...got 5,647 feet before I had to turn around because of battery was getting to low & I pussed out...Keep up the good work guys. View attachment 24919 View attachment 24920 View attachment 24921

David...

Thanks for the continued design work. Do I assume correctly that current orders will get this design ?

:harry

ok updated design... Things that were updated include (added cable guide, better fit, clearance dimple for controller buttons, and repositioned the antenna for more db gain) for those that want to know the distance from quadrant of the reflector to the center of the antenna radiator it is 1/2 inch. I took it out for a test run getting a little more gutsy & starting with 60% on battery took it up and out...got 5,647 feet before I had to turn around because of battery was getting to low & I pussed out...Keep up the good work guys. View attachment 24919 View attachment 24920 View attachment 24921

I would love to order this but I do not see it on your eBay store. Did you pull it down?

Also should the curve be greater to better focus the signal towards the P3?

Last edited:
Its in my store but sold out right now until I catch up some.. ill list more in about 3 days is what im guessing right now. Printing nonstop right now... as far as the curve being greater I thought about it and what I like about my design is that its not such a small beam that you loose signal with just a slight turn in the controller... this design allows some movement and I like that.

This is nice idea, clean and easy to install. What's the distance between reflector and focal plane (RC antenna) ?

Its in my store but sold out right now until I catch up some.. ill list more in about 3 days is what im guessing right now. Printing nonstop right now... as far as the curve being greater I thought about it and what I like about my design is that its not such a small beam that you loose signal with just a slight turn in the controller... this design allows some movement and I like that.

I like your designs as well! Is it at all possible to do a pre-order? I am in South Africa and the delivery lead-times are very long! I also have some other items for my QX2 in my cart ready to go!.

This past weekend, I tested the WiFi antennas and got ~5200' @ 375' Alt.

Last evening, same spot, flight path and using stock antennas, I got ~6300' @ 400' Alt.

More flights and testing to come....

6297.jpg

In simple terms regardless of the method used, gain and directivity are inversely proportional.

The gain numbers tossed around are dBi where the 'i' means isotropic or, more simply, omnidirectional.
The isotropic antenna is hypothetical as it represents perfection. Thus all other are antennas are compared to this perfect radiator when using the "i".

As you gather the radiated energy and direct or limit it's propagation pattern you can change the effective 'strength' of that energy in the manner or pattern you wish. Increasing in some area(s) and decreasing in others.

It's an engineering trade-off dependng on the application.

I wouldn't say advantage. Just something I noticed with this design.. its defiantly still very directional just feels wider if that makes sense. I am very happy with this design so far.

Here's a link to my store but there all sold out right now I cant keep up so I'm listing more as I catch up. Most likely by this weekend I'll add more.

http://stores.ebay.com/Dynamic-3D-Solution?_rdc=1

I will have my web site up soon but for now its just e-bay.
I had my order in(ebay) on the 13th,there were still 6 of them. I figured I would have it by now,but I havent even gotten a shipping notice?
Any word on it?? Thanks

I revised and updated this item and wanted you to have the most current..Sorry again for the delay but I want to give you the best product I can & I have my printer printing nonstop...even at night I wake up when its time to restart the machines. (Wife just loves that 0.o) . All my orders are ~Print To Order~ I'm working as fast as I can without sacerficeing quality.. more and more will ship
I'm good with that;)

I'm interested in a comparison between the original poster's cardboard windsurfer design and this 3d print.

Any more feedback on the cardboard windsurfers?

I ordered one too. Thanks for the update. It's easier to be patient with that kind of honesty!!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Would a mod like these enhance penetration, e.g., flying around trees or buildings, or just LOS flight (and actually hurt penetration by having less omnidirectional reception)?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart