DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

Yes and has done absolutely nothing to extend my range. I'm going with DBS mods itelite.
I have mine installed near the tips of the plastic antennae post. I am attempting to center the electronic circuit board's antennae with the center of aluminum foil. Seems to work.

Makes a person wonder if paying for any of the expensive antenna upgrades are cost effective, when a dollar solution takes the bird to battery limits.

I think the modders would tell you it's about penetration more than it is about increased LOS flying. Don't know if these would be as useful if you fly behind trees or a building.

Could someone tell me which one is the receive and the transmitting antennae? Or maybe I'm speaking out of my you know what but It seemed to me that one did transmitting and the other did the receiving. I looked through the posts and didn't see that info or maybe I missed it. But this is a great idea. As soon as I get my bird back from DJI (complete loss of FPV, telemetry was OK and cracked rear motor mounts by mounting screws and no crashes) in about 6 weeks, I'm going to try this!

View attachment 24757 View attachment 24758 View attachment 24759 View attachment 24760 View attachment 24761 View attachment 24762 hello everyone,
This has been a item on my list of things to make for the phantom 3. (Windsurfer) I'm glad to say its done and available here in my store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Dynamic-3D-Solution?_rdc=1
Its a new item so any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Let me know what you think.. it works great!
Just ordered a set--- anxious to try them out.:)

View attachment 24757 View attachment 24758 View attachment 24759 View attachment 24760 View attachment 24761 View attachment 24762 hello everyone,
This has been a item on my list of things to make for the phantom 3. (Windsurfer) I'm glad to say its done and available here in my store:

Make one with hinges, so that it can fold in half. Aluminum that looks almost like mirrors, too.

Wow, the 3D print looks great. You may consider to curve the reflectors a bit more and adjust proper distance between antenna and reflector for optimal performance. In general, I would adjust the focal point distance.

800px-Parabola_with_focus_and_arbitrary_line.svg.png

Last edited:
I made a pair of these simple ones and did see an improvement. I had lost video and control at just over 16,000' before. When I flew the same flight with the boosters I made, I got out to almost 17,000'. Your design looks good - ordered!

Wow, the 3D print looks great. You may consider to curve the reflectors a bit more and adjust proper distance between antenna and reflector for optimal performance. In general, I would adjust the distance between P2 and F to 1/4 wavelength (~31mm) of 2.4GHz wavelength (~125mm).

800px-Parabola_with_focus_and_arbitrary_line.svg.png

ditto, what he said!

What about designing and making a Trackimo Holder --? I have mine zip tied to the Camera guard now.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Could someone tell me which one is the receive and the transmitting antennae? Or maybe I'm speaking out of my you know what but It seemed to me that one did transmitting and the other did the receiving. I looked through the posts and didn't see that info or maybe I missed it. But this is a great idea. As soon as I get my bird back from DJI (complete loss of FPV, telemetry was OK and cracked rear motor mounts by mounting screws and no crashes) in about 6 weeks, I'm going to try this!

Neither, the antennas work in a MIMO configuration and both are part of the whole. It's not one for sending one for receiving.

Neither, the antennas work in a MIMO configuration and both are part of the whole. It's not one for sending one for receiving.

Would it make sense to make one large Windsurfer antenna to encompass both of the controllers antenna? Or would that cause interference?

I have your battery storage case and it's a nice piece so I decided to give your antenna mod a try as well.

ps...send me the "V2" version and I'll post a review here ;)

:harry

Would it make sense to make one large Windsurfer antenna to encompass both of the controllers antenna? Or would that cause interference?

I don't see a problem with that. I'm going to do my own custom design though with twin foils.

Ordered - can't wait to try it

is it ok to scale this down so 2 can fit with the antennas both vertical and parallel? I printed 1 set at actual size and one at 69%. I read on freeantennas.com that this can be scaled to any size..... should I have made the antenna taller like the guy above who 3d printed it?

Last edited:

This is really cool and I'm eager to order one. Please keep us up to date on the evolution of this. Doesn't the manual have something in it about optimal antenna position? I thought keeping them in parallels was something they advised against (something about waves bing in phase?)--And they snap into the angled position. Does it not matter once the booster is attached maybe?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj