Devastated, flight number 124, Phantom 3 at the bottom of the ocean

Sorry for your loss! It's a terrible feeling when it happens. I had my P3a crash and it's a sickening feeling. I don't have any experience with analyzing the flight data but after watching your video, my first thought was that it hit a bird. The flight is smooth and controlled but the change to the tumbling out of control is so sudden, to me it strongly suggests hitting a bird. When mine crashed in a tall tree, the video looked like yours when the props hit the tree foliage... instant tumbling. No swaying, swirling, gyrating or accelerated elevation drop in an upright view... just sudden tumbling. That's my opinion.

@teaman thx for your opinion, you could be right.

Hi, I've just written a post in the faulty battery thread. No idea how to link that on this iPad but look at my earlier posts and you should see it?

Here's what DJI sent back to me. I hope this gives you some hope ;)

support.eu5 (DJI)
1月4日 17:40

Dear Nick,

We have evaluated your flight records and it is indeed an drone error, and we will take full responsibility.
It turns out the battery cut off.
To apply for your repair we require the following information:

Product (Inspire or Phantom):
Serial number of the drone:
Serial number of the remote:
Serial number of the gimbal:
A short description of the problem:

Full name:
Address:
E-mail:
Phone:
And a copy of your receipt.
For warranty services it is most important that you keep your receipt handy.

We will apply the repair for you and we will send you an email back with your RMA form.

With Kind Regards,

DJI Support EU
Stefan

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Southspeer thats great news, happy for you[emoji106] But you still have your Phantom?

Update: after a second opnion at DJI they sended me the same letter :)

Last edited:
@Mad_angler1

I hate to hijack a thread, and I’m only doing so because @Flying Dutchman has himself engaged in your topic of only charging to 50%

As a beginner, I want to do everting possible to keep my drone in the air; but this is the first that I have heard of only charging 50%. I do indeed charge the battery to 100% before every flight; but my question to you is, what is the point of charging to 50% or at all? Why not leave the battery at the charge it is after flying (in my short experience is roughly between 30% and 50%), and only charge on the day of the next flight?

@Dnallov maybe because of less charging (read waiting) on flight day. Good question why did I not think of that. [emoji106] would like to now too.

I look forward to se an DJI GO APP update that gives a warning when you have an undervoltage or mismatch of batterycells. I have got 2 batterywarnings during flight. One after takeoff and the latest battery firmware was not installed (was still on the SDcard). Landed safely. Second time the battery was not properly locked. 3-4 mm out (my mistake). Landed safely after a couple of minutes

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
Ok update, stranges thing happpend today, after I told you guys that DJI did not wanna help me but the dealer did and gave me a discount so I bought a new one, I received a mail this morning that after a second opinion DJI will handle my case under warrenty, o_O I couldn't believe my eyes. So I called my dealer but its treu, they wanna help me but only one thing I dont think they understand that the copter is at the bottom of the drink. I will see what I can do about that little subject. Updates will follow:)

I look forward to se an DJI GO APP update that gives a warning when you have an undervoltage or mismatch of batterycells. I have got 2 batterywarnings during flight. One after takeoff and the latest battery firmware was not installed (was still on the SDcard). Landed safely. Second time the battery was not properly locked. 3-4 mm out (my mistake). Landed safely after a couple of minutes

@Arve Horgheim than you were extremely lucky, especially with the battery that didn't locked right. Learn from it and always check twice. Give it a good push, your copter can handle it.

Its a euro for you flying Dutchman ? and a pound a go here in UK, mind you I think we need a tenner a go due to the cost of a phantom p3p

It looks to me like a motor failing, then totally failed. Did you ever change out the bearings? I think it is prudent to change out bearings about every 40 or 50 hours. I'm sure you notice the rotor wash on take-off and landing and tiny micro particles of dirt, sand etc can work their way into the bearings and eventually they will fail. I have had one near failure and have since replaced all the bearings. Flies smooth and quiet again. Good luck

Reactions: Ranger003
The stranges thing happend twice, I received a brand new Phantom 3. The one I lost is a advanced, but the one I received as replacement for the one thats lost is a professional. So DJI, thank you for this great service, and thank you for the free upgrade[emoji106][emoji4] This guy will be posting in 4K from now on.
Is this a happy ending ore not?

Last edited:
Wow thats awesome they sent you a new one ,hope im as lucky as you .my standard freaked out on me and went rogue and flew away from me. Dji did send me a text and asked me for shipping address .fingers crossed

Glad it all worked out in the end, perhaps we will never know the real reason for the loss, but on the good side you have got a p3p. Good on you DJi. Just more to take on, I am at ease more with my p2 vision +,, only because of using the camera filters I bought with my p3p, but good on you, your experiance has had us all captivated and perhaps we have learnt a lot from all the people who subscribed to your adventures , cheers phantom 309 (ghost trucker)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart