Devastated, flight number 124, Phantom 3 at the bottom of the ocean

@Flying Dutchman Looking at your video here:

Dropbox - Screenshot 2016-01-08 16.30.36.png

You flew low over an area with literally hundreds of birds. This was just a 7-8 seconds before your crash. I'd say it's 90% likely you were hit by a bird :(

Compass is obviously going to go wild if one of the props is damaged / the motor is broken as it spins wildly down, and although the voltage is off in one cell, it's within moderate tolerance.

Glad you got a new one... if you see a lot of birds like that on the surface again, don't fly down and spook them into taking off :)

how deep is it there? Any chance at getting it?

@TheRealNick I tried Nick, but without special tools its impossible, yes, if you have a deathwish. Its like a swamp one moment you can "walk" one meter further and you can be done. I made search effort this afternoon with my new bird. I think its gone in the mud, tommorrow ill take one last look. This time with the GPS.

Ive had a similar crash. Bird was only lightly damaged as it recovered before finally crashing to the ground from low altitude. Engine failure according to DJI and they repaired under warranty.

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
I am, ore should I say was, the proud owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced. I began flying Phantoms in 2012 , started with the number one and worked my way up to number three. And what a machine that is. The technology took a big leap the last few years.

Last week I went for a flight. I did not fly for a week because of the weather here in Holland. But it cleared so I went out for a fly. I have four batterys and I had already used three so I was into my last flight for the day. Prior to the flights I had updated my firmware to the latest version v1.6.0040. Calibrated the MUI and compass after updating. I always fly with the original DJI app (2.4.3) and I take good care of my airplaine. Check the Phantom and her props between flights, never take off with a battery lower than 100 procent and change the props if nessesary. As far as I now, I really did nothing wrong.

So I took of and everything looked fine, no strange warnings. No buildings, no interference. But suddenly after 7 minuts and 6 seconds the airplane went bizarre and crashed. Black screen, pushed the RTH but I already new, I lost my phantom. Unbelieve, angry all kind of different emotions I went threw. And now I am sad. Very sad. I now it can happen, always be prepared loosing your Phantom, but so fast after I bought it. I cant send it back to DJI because its on the "bottom" of the sea. This part of the waddensea fells dry with low tide but its like quicksand, I really tried but its to dangerous.

I hope DJI is gone help me, its fuc.. up to go home with only your RC.

Here is the flight:

Dropbox - 2015_12_29_12_23_52.mp4

And here is:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Sorry for you but you made 2 big mistakes.
Updating your firmware and flying where a loss is possible is not a good idea.
Flying over water requires some floaters. I have been saying this many times but people like to risk.

So you sent in your old motors phantom and they replaced it with new motors phantom ??? Awesome to see you back in the air !! safe flying !!!!!

Edit: I just remembered yours was a total loss ... Sorry !! But still safe flying with the new bird!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
And there we go again, maiden flight. Lets hope its stays up.

How did u get a new phantom so fast ? With your old being a total loss (flyaway) did u buy another phantom or Dji replaced? My bird fell out the sky also gimbal and camera came off still waiting on repair from Dji

I am, ore should I say was, the proud owner of a Phantom 3 Advanced. I began flying Phantoms in 2012 , started with the number one and worked my way up to number three. And what a machine that is. The technology took a big leap the last few years.

Last week I went for a flight. I did not fly for a week because of the weather here in Holland. But it cleared so I went out for a fly. I have four batterys and I had already used three so I was into my last flight for the day. Prior to the flights I had updated my firmware to the latest version v1.6.0040. Calibrated the MUI and compass after updating. I always fly with the original DJI app (2.4.3) and I take good care of my airplaine. Check the Phantom and her props between flights, never take off with a battery lower than 100 procent and change the props if nessesary. As far as I now, I really did nothing wrong.

So I took of and everything looked fine, no strange warnings. No buildings, no interference. But suddenly after 7 minuts and 6 seconds the airplane went bizarre and crashed. Black screen, pushed the RTH but I already new, I lost my phantom. Unbelieve, angry all kind of different emotions I went threw. And now I am sad. Very sad. I now it can happen, always be prepared loosing your Phantom, but so fast after I bought it. I cant send it back to DJI because its on the "bottom" of the sea. This part of the waddensea fells dry with low tide but its like quicksand, I really tried but its to dangerous.

I hope DJI is gone help me, its fuc.. up to go home with only your RC.

Here is the flight:

Dropbox - 2015_12_29_12_23_52.mp4

And here is:

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Hi this is my ******* nightmares i am very angry for this but i think that sonething are crashes ab0ove the props ( a 1000$ machine doesnt fallout in 1 second)

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
I noticed the video jumps right before the last turn and descention to earth. When I saw that my first thought was something hit it. Maybe one of the blades, and it broke causing it to fall.

How did u get a new phantom so fast ? With your old being a total loss (flyaway) did u buy another phantom or Dji replaced? My bird fell out the sky also gimbal and camera came off still waiting on repair from Dji

@LamboH I bought a new one after DJI told me that they did not wanna help me. The dealer gave me a discount because he felt sry and he thought it was not my fault. Plus the advance is cheap right now. I hope yours get fixed and that your back in the air soon.

Last edited:
I cannot believe that... Once I watched the video I was just sitting and staring in awe.... That must really hurt to lose such a magnificent device.... Sorry for your loss.... My sympathies.

like the other phantom flyers say (sorry it happened) apart from the battery (hope it was not one of the cheapies being sold from HK or china as there have been problems with P3s falling out of sky, but if it was a DJi battery like another person has replied unfortually you flew over a flock of birds and for me that if what happened, out there there may be a bird with a sore head ?

Dji app says as long as u over 50% u can take off tho

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 314
Very sorry for your loss.
I did see a LOT of birds nearby right before she went in.
Not saying that's the cause....but just an observation.

Forgetting all that dark past.....glad to hear your new one is on the way and you're back in the game !!

Will you be flying over that same area of the water again? Just curious.

Was this battery lying around for a few days/ week prior to use? When I charge a battery fully it only reads 98% in the app - unless I turn the battery on & then connect to the charger - then it goes to 100% (this is important imo)
..I have never read of this...can you expand on why and who "all" follows this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers