Dead/Defective Batteries

View attachment 56459
Not the best photo, but you get the idea!

That looks more like a hunter bringing home his kill. Probably one of those dicks with the anti-drone rifles!

I hope they impose some limits - like maybe 2 drones per weekend? It would be a shame if they were allowed to overhunt us to the point of extinction :)

Reactions: Reed L
If anybody looks at my profile - they can see my birthday is this Saturday.

I hope they send batteries! :) lol

So roll back your firmware and see if they work again. I can say that Litchi says you have to have the most current firmware, yet I am running the current version of iOS Litchi with 1.6.40 AC firmware and it works just fine. I'm guessing that Autopilot will too. Give it a try in controlled conditions. I bet it works too. I have stopped the DJI firmware surprise game, and am staying at 2.4.2 GO/1.6.40 on the Aircraft and 1.5.70 on the remote control. I'll give the latest autopilot a try this weekend and report back on if it works.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So I did not do an extensive test (didn't have time), but I did do an orbit and over-rode the automation with stick inputs, did a zip-line and s follow test and all of them worked just fine on the versions listed in my post above. So you might wanna give a roll back serious thought and just stay out for a while and use those batts pretty hard and get your $$$$ out of them.

So how do you interpret that line in the Safety Guidelines ? Seems pretty black and white to me. Or are you implying that he was never verbally told ?

Unless English is not your first language, you are being deliberately and willfully obtuse, and are pretending to have missed the very obvious point I made. The safety thing has been covered.

Reactions: Tenly
So I did not do an extensive test (didn't have time), but I did do an orbit and over-rode the automation with stick inputs, did a zip-line and s follow test and all of them worked just fine on the versions listed in my post above. So you might wanna give a roll back serious thought and just stay out for a while and use those batts pretty hard and get your $$$$ out of them.

Sounds promising... So did you just rollback the Aircraft firmware or the RC firmware also? I thought they had to be matched to the same version firmware to establish a connection....? If that's true - how do you rollback the RC firmware? I'm assuming it's not possible to roll back DJI Go on iOS - so if I do roll things back, I'll have to fly with just the RC or with Litchi/Autopilot - right?

This why ill never used GO and have firewalled litchi before i even bought my phantom. Im surprised the EU isnt all over DJI for its practices, they usually get involved when companies do this kind of thing.

Sounds promising... So did you just rollback the Aircraft firmware or the RC firmware also? I thought they had to be matched to the same version firmware to establish a connection....? If that's true - how do you rollback the RC firmware? I'm assuming it's not possible to roll back DJI Go on iOS - so if I do roll things back, I'll have to fly with just the RC or with Litchi/Autopilot - right?
I did not roll back anything. I simply don't upgrade anymore. My point was that you could roll back to the previous version and set your battery functionality back.

Search these forums for plenty of information on rolling back aircraft firmware. You can roll back one version only, but that should be enough to fix your battery issue.

As to iOS rollback, you can download any version of an iOS app from the App Store. It takes some gyrations, but there is also a thread here covering that as well. However, since the batteries don't work with other apps as well as DJI GO, the change was most likely in the aircraft firmware.

Good luck!

I'm going to start by addressing the biggest mistake you made in your post - that if I was in their place, I would do the same thing.... Never in a million years would I treat my customers the way that DJI treats theirs. Insisting that ONLY my batteries are used in my product?
TL:DR the rest of it.

Look, while I don't necessarily agree with what DJI did here or more importantly how they did it, but I do understand it from a corporate responsibility standpoint. They are expected to supply warranty repairs and shops. Pay people to staff them and to repair your birds. Its in their best interest to implement such a battery check if they are expected to warranty their product especially when that battery could very well be the cause of a crash, for which most people would point the finger at DJI and insist on warranty service and/or replacement.

DJI is not the only company to do something like this. As I remember not to long ago Apple did that to many iWhateverthehell owners suddenly found out that after an update their cheap 3rd party chargers didn't work anymore and had to buy official licensed Apple chargers at the typical Apple iPremium price. And before that I believe there was an update that shut down use of unauthorized lightning cables forcing people to stop using them and to buy official Apple products. There are other examples of this throughout many product lines including Apple, Nikon, Canon, and Microsoft just to name a few.

What they did, I understand. But they should have announced it in the changelog so those of you who use knockoff batteries have the choice to either A: Void your warranty and continue their use or B: dump the 3rd party battery and upgrade the firmware.

In the end you gotta sit back and just freaking enjoy the ultimate irony of all ironies. Think about it for a minute. The concept of a cheap chinese knockoff of a chinese product is in-freaking-sanely humorous to say the least. And the fact they got upset about it is just icing on the cake. Think about it. China, famous for stealing and ripping off other people's music, movies, designs, concepts, products and technology was busy stealing from itself. God I love karma.

Just a friendly reminder to keep the discussion educational and not confrontational. So dail it back a few notches and remember to be nice to your fellow operators, you all have the same thing in common or you wouldn't be here. So let get on with the topic.

I personally buy DJI batteries I am not willing to risk my quads to save a few dollars. Certain critical items I will always buy DJI components. I base that on several factors including risk of using an unknown supplier, no warranty claim if something goes wrong and others. YMMV. :)

Reactions: dirkclod
Just a friendly reminder to keep the discussion educational and not confrontational. So dail it back a few notches and remember to be nice to your fellow operators, you all have the same thing in common or you wouldn't be here. So let get on with the topic.

I personally buy DJI batteries I am not willing to risk my quads to save a few dollars. Certain critical items I will always buy DJI components. I base that on several factors including risk of using an unknown supplier, no warranty claim if something goes wrong and others. YMMV. :)
Sure... There are several misconceptions at play throughout this conversation.

1. Misconception #1 - people will use 3rd party batteries and then fool DJI into honoring a warranty claim.
- DJI can tell what batteries you flew with. If it was as aftermarket battery attached - and the battery was part of the root cause of the incident - DJI will know and not pay.

2. Misconception #2 - using an aftermarket part (such as a battery) will void your entire warranty.
- Not true. The aftermarket part is obviously not covered - and any problems that are caused by the failure of the aftermarket part are not covered. But problems unrelated to the use of the aftermarket product are still fully covered!!! (Eg: if you are using an aftermarket battery and the Vision Positioning Sensor falls off your Phantom - that problem is unrelated the the use of the aftermarket battery and it is still fully covered!)

3. Misconception #3 - all aftermarket batteries are crap that is destined to fail
- Some aftermarket batteries (and other products) meet and even exceed the quality of the OEM part it is meant to replace. I believe he customer should be allowed the choice - at their own risk - especially after the drone is out of warranty.

4. Misconception #4 - I am furious that they won't let me use aftermarket batteries.
- Not furious about the decision to not allow them. Just disappointed. I'm angry at the implementation of that decision. It could have/should have been done before the first Phantom 3 was ever sold. They should have warned pilots as soon as they decided to enforce it via firmware - that would have saved many pilots from wasting money in the 2 months leading up to the implementation of the enforcement. There is no way someone can honestly say that existing customers were treated fairly.

I understand his frustrations. And, to some extent, agree with some of his points, particularly surrounding the lack of announcement and forthcomingness of DJI in what they sneak into the firmware patches (not just the battery lockout). If DJI actually respected their customers, an announcement about it should have been clear in the firmware release notes, customers given the ability to opt out of that restriction, etc. They don't really respect their customers. Don't know if its their corporate culture. their political culture or their ethnic culture. Maybe its DJI or maybe its something westerners aren't privy to.

I have dealt with other chinese vendors before (Ray Wu on Aliexpress, and a couple online chinese parts suppliers). They don't seem to have the respect issues for their customers that clearly DJI has. They, of course, are not multi-billion dollar global companies with 90% market share either. It is what it is. I deal with DJI as little as possible.

Reactions: Tenly
Sure... There are several misconceptions at play throughout this conversation.

1. Misconception #1 - people will use 3rd party batteries and then fool DJI into honoring a warranty claim.
- DJI can tell what batteries you flew with. If it was as aftermarket battery attached - and the battery was part of the root cause of the incident - DJI will know and not pay.

2. Misconception #2 - using an aftermarket part (such as a battery) will void your entire warranty.
- Not true. The aftermarket part is obviously not covered - and any problems that are caused by the failure of the aftermarket part are not covered. But problems unrelated to the use of the aftermarket product are still fully covered!!! (Eg: if you are using an aftermarket battery and the Vision Positioning Sensor falls off your Phantom - that problem is unrelated the the use of the aftermarket battery and it is still fully covered!)

3. Misconception #3 - all aftermarket batteries are crap that is destined to fail
- Some aftermarket batteries (and other products) meet and even exceed the quality of the OEM part it is meant to replace. I believe he customer should be allowed the choice - at their own risk - especially after the drone is out of warranty.

4. Misconception #4 - I am furious that they won't let me use aftermarket batteries.
- Not furious about the decision to not allow them. Just disappointed. I'm angry at the implementation of that decision. It could have/should have been done before the first Phantom 3 was ever sold. They should have warned pilots as soon as they decided to enforce it via firmware - that would have saved many pilots from wasting money in the 2 months leading up to the implementation of the enforcement. There is no way someone can honestly say that existing customers were treated fairly.
What are you referring to in #4. DJI has always discouraged the use of aftermarket batteries (and parts). This is no surprise unless you didnt read the product information. In the days of the P2 they built it into the software so it would know if you used a third party battery and as I recall prevent it from starting.

Tenly, buddy, my friend, are you still going on, this is far beyond venting, listen I'll buy your batteries if you like! Let it goooooo, fly, be happy!

What are you referring to in #4. DJI has always discouraged the use of aftermarket batteries (and parts). This is no surprise unless you didnt read the product information. In the days of the P2 they built it into the software so it would know if you used a third party battery and as I recall prevent it from starting.

Every manufacturer discourages the use of non-OEM parts. They don't all prohibit it. Is someone new to the hobby expected, or obligated to research previous models? Or participate in forums?

Even if one were aware of what they did with the Phantom 2 - prohibiting flight with after market batteries attached - the fact that the Phantom 3 was released without such a restriction in place could be taken as an indication that it was no longer prohibited - else why wouldn't they have just prohibited it from the start? They obviously already had the code to do it.

The only reference to not using OEM batteries was in the safety guidelines. It *should* have been in the owners manual and it should have clearly stated that use of aftermarket batteries is prohibited. As it was - it was a recommendation.

And as I've said over and over - it's not the fact that they've done it. It's the way that they did it. It was rude and disrespectful to their existing customers - most of whom did not know they were doing anything wrong. There is much DJI could have done - and should have done - to prevent these customers from incurring a financial loss. A recommendation in the safety guidelines is not enough to say "you should have known". A firm statement in the owners manual advising that it is PROHIBITED - would have covered things nicely.

So if they already had a restriction in place for the Phantom 2 - why do you think they waited so long to introduce the same restriction for the Phantom 3?

Tenly, buddy, my friend, are you still going on, this is far beyond venting, listen I'll buy your batteries if you like! Let it goooooo, fly, be happy!

The venting was over a long time ago. Since then I've just been responding to those who can't just agree to disagree - or ignore this thread completely. They insist on posting - usually stating false information as if it were fact, stating their opinions as if they were fact - and telling me I'm wrong, I have no right to be upset, etc...

And, as time permits, I'll keep replying as long as others keep adding false or misleading information to it - or asking questions, etc. (as you did!)

I'm not worried about the financial loss. I'm probably going to use them in one of the battery mods to increase my flight time - so I'll get my use out of them eventually.

And as I've said over and over - it's not the fact that they've done it. It's the way that they did it. It was rude and disrespectful to their existing customers - most of whom did not know they were doing anything wrong.
Yes, you have. Over and over. And now the question is, will saying it 10 more times somehow change DJI's behavior? I don't believe that it will. It obviously bothers you, so roll back your firmware, use your batteries in good health, and enjoy your quad. Life is way too short. Or, sell you quad and invest in another brand that hopefully has better customer relation skills and that treats its customers better. Ultimately we speak with our wallets if we want any real change and truly believe in our cause. If not, we are just tilting at windmills.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z