Dead/Defective Batteries

I would look at Yuneec. I've heard good things about them - but I haven't researched any other companies enough to provide any kind of recommendation. If I were to go with another company - I'd do a LOT of research - and it wouldn't be all technical and specifications. I'd check out the forums where those pilots congregate and I'd look at what they complain about - especially those who have had to deal with the company for repairs - in and out of warranty.
Thanks for the answer. I hope one day those paper weights can be used again...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I always buy DJI batteries. I won't risk it. These batteries do so much more than just hold a charge. I get where you're coming from. My advice is to downgrade your firmware and get litchi. I use both DJI Go and litchi. Swapping out battery heads seems like more trouble than it's worth. If I was in your position that's how I'd go about it. If it doesn't work message me. I know a guy who has a ton of p3 batteries. Mostly good, some bad but all DJI. Best of luck✌

With this post sir, you have demonstrated to the entire forum that your comprehension skills are zero. Not one of those statements you made is true. Not one! You've missed point after point that I've made - and whether they disagree with my position or agree with it - the other members of this forum that read my posts know that I didn't say any of those things and that none of those statements are my position! You are either trying to be a jerk by intentionally twisting my position or you genuinely believe that those are the things I said - and if the latter is the case, I encourage you to find a grade 5 student to help re-read my posts to you and explain what they actually mean because they certainly don't mean what you typed out. So it turns out that this whole time you've been railing against things I didn't even say! Hilarious!

It's okay though. I've got messages of support and agreement - publicly and privately - so i know that some of the smarter folks here do understand and agree.

With this post of yours, I've learned your a lost cause and can't possibly be part of any intelligent discussion about this, so I shall ignore any further comments you have unless of course they start with "I'm sorry..." - but don't worry - I won't be holding my breath! lol

I wish you would stop referring to the intelligence of people who are on here. Each and every one who replies to your original post will have their own opinion. One is no more intelligent than the other just because it doesn't agree with yours. Keep it civil and simple and you might get more sympathy or support from people who wish to contribute to this thread. After all, isn't that the reason you're on here ? My 2c

Reactions: mikesmiley
I wish you would stop referring to the intelligence of people who are on here. Each and every one who replies to your original post will have their own opinion. One is no more intelligent than the other just because it doesn't agree with yours. Keep it civil and simple and you might get more sympathy or support from people who wish to contribute to this thread. After all, isn't that the reason you're on here ? My 2c

Thanks for your advice - but I don't believe it applies. There are many people who have disagreed with my position. Some mis-understood part of what I was complaining about - some just disagreed with EVER purchasing non-OEM accessories so were unable to put themselves in my shoes - and i debated or disagreed politely with all of them except the one you are calling out...

So what's different about that one? He misquoted every single statement I made in this thread such that it completely changed the meaning and sounded ridiculous. In my response I claimed that *IF* he had genuinely thought that those were the statements I had made, he was a moron. But - I don't think anyone here for even half a second thinks that he accidentally interpreted my statements that way - so my "if" statement doesn't apply.

He was intentionally trying to discredit my arguments/points by rewriting them all to sound ridiculous. There were at least 8 individual things - and he did not get a single one of them right. He SIGNIFICANTLY changed the meaning of ALL of my points. These are not the actions of someone who is unintelligent and struggles with comprehension; they are the actions of someone who has no valid rebuttal to the statements I actually made yet wants to disagree anyhow - and since he can't challenge the validity of what i actually said - he attempted to change my words to something that he could counter or something that was obviously ridiculous - and in so doing, he launched an attack on MY intelligence.

See for yourself - look at what he claims I said - and then scroll back and see what I actually said. No-one of even average intelligence could misinterpret so many different things, so drastically! Give special attention to his use of the words "always" and "never".

If the moderators want to get involved and go back and delete his message - which contains no value whatsoever because it summarizes a long list of things that were never said - then they can also feel free to delete my response to it. But if his message is allowed to stand - then mine also needs to stand so that people who do not read the entire thread are not given the wrong impression of what the intended discussion is about.

If you've got another example in this thread of someone I've attacked or belittled unfairly, and without provocation - I'd be happy to address those concerns separately. On the contrary though - I think you'll find the opposite in this thread - messages in which my intelligence has been questioned or challenged and where I just allowed it to slide...

Each and every one who replies to your original post will have their own opinion. One is no more intelligent than the other just because it doesn't agree with yours.

There is a difference between fact and opinion. People are definitely entitled to their own opinion - however they are not entitled to make up facts.

It's true that an opinion is not more or less intelligent because it doesn't match yours or mine - but that doesn't mean that all opinions are equal! An opinion that is arrived at using; or justified with; incorrect facts as its basis - is in fact a less intelligent opinion than one that is...!

Misinformation is our greatest enemy and it is my opinion that it should be corrected wherever it occurs!

I have no problem (now) with how DJI is handling these Chinese knock-off batteries. They are dangerous and shouldn't be allowed in the country in my opinion. I have witnessed 1st hand and have posted here about the knockoff battery issues. I won't buy another.

If you have a couple of knockoffs then just get Litchi or Ultimate Flight and fly them while you can. They won't last anyway. Be mad at the Chinese knockoff company and yourself, don't be blaming DJI for actually protecting their products and the public.

Reactions: AeroVisionz
Why would anyone want to use ANY part that keeps the phantom or any other uav up in the air but the part designed by the manufacturer? If it it's for the sake of a few dollars in the short term then this hobby may not be the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have no problem (now) with how DJI is handling these Chinese knock-off batteries. They are dangerous and shouldn't be allowed in the country in my opinion. I have witnessed 1st hand and have posted here about the knockoff battery issues. I won't buy another.

If you have a couple of knockoffs then just get Litchi or Ultimate Flight and fly them while you can. They won't last anyway. Be mad at the Chinese knockoff company and yourself, don't be blaming DJI for actually protecting their products and the public.
I'm sure you're right about that one company in particular - but if you try to take that one experience and generalize it to apply to all aftermarket batteries - you're just plain wrong.

There is plenty of information online about aftermarket batteries - and how many of the manufactures meet the same criteria as the OEM's and some of the manufacturers even produce a product that exceeds the quality of the OEM batteries. If you care to educate yourself, the information is out there for the consumption.

If you prefer however to ignore the professional studies which have torn apart batteries and compared them from many different battery companies and factories - and rely instead on the anecdotal evidence that you've seen with your own eyes - well, that is your prerogative!

If you buy strictly based on price, you'll probably end up with a dud more often than not. But if you take the time to educate yourself, you can (usually) save some money while using a superior product!

A couple of other points to make. When you do end up with a poor quality aftermarket battery - the vast majority of the time, the problem you get is with longevity. They may only last a year while the better after market ones and the OEM ones may last 2 years. They don't all cut power abruptly causing your bird to drop from the sky - and they don't frequently burst into flames like some of the widely publicized worst-case scenarios would have you believe.

Also - DJI batteries are not perfect either. In manufacturing, there is no 100% success rate...so if you think you're guaranteed not to have a problem with OEM batteries, think again.

If it helps you sleep at night to buy all OEM parts - go for it.

But regardless of the battery issue itself - DJI rendered all existing aftermarket batteries useless and worthless without warning and without compensation to their affected customers. If you think that THAT is an okay way for a company to treat their customers - well, I'm sure glad I don't do business with a company that you run!

And I fail to see how doing this makes anyone safer? The only thing it protects are DJI profits. If they were truly interested in safety, they would have tested the aftermarket batteries and only blocked the inferior ones. As for the superior ones, well - if it's truly a safety issue - DJI should have also dropped their own batteries and referred customers to the company making the best ones, right?

All the monopoly does is ensure higher that DJI can continue to overcharge for their accessories.

For consumable products, I for one would like to see a process put in place whereby a third party manufacture can PROVE that their product meets or exceeds the required specifications and then be allowed to sell them. People will still buy OEM's for the most part - as long as they are priced fairly.

Consider this scenario which I would not put past DJI's management team: Suppose that next month, DJI discovers a way to make their own batteries 50% safer. The responsible thing to do would be to make all of their exciting batteries stop working and force people to buy the new, safer batteries. Would you be okay if all of a sudden, your existing batteries stopped working and DJI told you it was because they now have safer, more releasable batteries available for sale? Would you? lol. I think not. But that's exactly what they've done here and you just don't care because it doesn't affect you!

By the way - the aftermarket batteries do not work at all since that last firmware update. I don't know who started the rumor that they still work with Litchi. But they don't work even without using ANY app. I checked it today because I noticed that one of the battery manufacturers was still selling their aftermarket batteries - but with a disclaimer that "NOTE: These batteries DO NOT WORK with DJI GO" but I've tested and they do not work with anything - Litchi, AutoPilot, DJI Go, or no app whatsoever (RC only). If someone knows of a way to make them work in any of those scenarios - please let me know!

I agree with you to a point. I would be pissed also if one day they worked and the next they didn't. Yet I also see their side, if your drone crashed due to battery error and they asked if it was a OEM battery I'm sure everyone would say yes. So again, I understand your frustration though I also agree that most of the profit margin is from accessories. Next time look at the classified section in this forum, I'm sure you could buy a OEM battery here for what you paid for the aftermarket ones.

DJI rendered all existing aftermarket batteries useless and worthless without warning and without compensation to their affected customers.

Compensation?! You really expect DJI to compensate you for your purchase of a battery that they did not manufacture nor approve for their UAV product?

And I fail to see how doing this makes anyone safer? The only thing it protects are DJI profits.

Wrong, not that them protecting their profits is a bad thing to do, but it is also in their best interest to be sure that their customers have a good experience with their products, and they can NOT ensure that with a battery that they did not manufacture or test.

If they were truly interested in safety, they would have tested the aftermarket batteries and only blocked the inferior ones.

That's a bizarre thing to ask of a company that makes a good deal of their profits on accessories such as batteries.

As for the superior ones, well - if it's truly a safety issue - DJI should have also dropped their own batteries and referred customers to the company making the best ones, right?

In your dreams.

All the monopoly does is ensure higher that DJI can continue to overcharge for their accessories.

Oh, now they're a monopoly? For proprietary accessories made only for their UAV products?!

Definition of MONOPOLY

For consumable products, I for one would like to see a process put in place whereby a third party manufacture can PROVE that their product meets or exceeds the required specifications and then be allowed to sell them. People will still buy OEM's for the most part - as long as they are priced fairly.

Sounds like the automobile business. But then, consumer safety here is really driven by government regulations. Do you want a government to enforce the rules?

Suppose that next month, DJI discovers a way to make their own batteries 50% safer. The responsible thing to do would be to make all of their exciting batteries stop working and force people to buy the new, safer batteries.

There's so much wrong with this. I have to stop now.

I agree with you to a point. I would be pissed also if one day they worked and the next they didn't. Yet I also see their side, if your drone crashed due to battery error and they asked if it was a OEM battery I'm sure everyone would say yes. So again, I understand your frustration though I also agree that most of the profit margin is from accessories. Next time look at the classified section in this forum, I'm sure you could buy a OEM battery here for what you paid for the aftermarket ones.

Well - just like some people would never dream of purchasing an aftermarket battery, I'm extremely unlikely to ever purchase a used battery....just because i don't know if it's ever been in an accident or if there is any damage to the internals....

As for your other comment about people lying about what they were using when an incident occurs - it's bit really a valid point. The flight logs and the .dat files contain all the information that DJI needs about the battery in order to tell if you were using theirs or someone else's. So, whether you lie or not - DJI will know the truth and act accordingly.

I'm disappointed that they won't let me use good quality aftermarket batteries. That's all. Disappointed. I would probably only have mentioned it once if it wasn't all wrapped up on this other issue. But people keep getting confused with regards to what I'm upset about.

The thing that makes me mad is that it worked one day and not the next. DJI did not tell me that aftermarket batteries are not permitted and so I broke no rules when I bought them. Then out of the blue, DJI disables them - and even if they did have very good reason for doing so - they should be more sympathetic towards me as their valued customer. I think the very least they should have done was to issue a formal apology and let us purchase an equivalent number of replacement batteries at DJI cost price. I gave no idea what that would be - but I'm guessing it's about $30-50. A gesture like that would lessen the sting a bit for those of us who were affected - and it wouldn't cost DJI a cent!

Instead - they don't offer any kind of apology and are not willing to offer any kind of discount on replacement batteries! They treat us like we broke their rules and this is a fitting punishment for not buying from them in the first place even though there was no rule in place that said we have to.

That is the part that make me mad. It also disturbs me that so many other pilots (that weren't affected) also think that *that* is a reasonable way for a company to treat its customers. Those pilots are obviously apathetic and short-sighted and won't "get it" until the company's next aggressive policy change affects them directly.

People who buy the oem parts won't have anything to worry about. You are just mad that you wasted your money on some third party battery that now, rightly so, won't work. You are therefore making a big conspiracy theory and telling a multi billion dollar company how they need to run their business.. Get over it already, go out and fly your phantom and enjoy life.

Compensation?! You really expect DJI to compensate you for your purchase of a battery that they did not manufacture nor approve for their UAV product?

Wrong, not that them protecting their profits is a bad thing to do, but it is also in their best interest to be sure that their customers have a good experience with their products, and they can NOT ensure that with a battery that they did not manufacture or test.

That's a bizarre thing to ask of a company that makes a good deal of their profits on accessories such as batteries.

In your dreams.

Oh, now they're a monopoly? For proprietary accessories made only for their UAV products?!

Definition of MONOPOLY

Sounds like the automobile business. But then, consumer safety here is really driven by government regulations. Do you want a government to enforce the rules?

There's so much wrong with this. I have to stop now.

Sure some of my points in the last message were exaggerated just because some of you don't get it when I present the issues clearly.

The important one is the first one re: compensation and perhaps compensation is the wrong word - but in essence, they reached into my wallet, took out $290 and then burned it, laughed and walked away.

I can't call it theft directly because they didn't convert it to their own use - at least not directly - but since I will presumably have to replace those batteries and DJI will make a profit on that purchase - that's where they profit off of the destruction of my legally acquired property - which makes what they've done "essentially theft" even if it's not "actually theft". And no matter what you call it - it's a crappy way for a company to treat its customers.

As I've said a few times now - a customer-friendly option that was open to them, and that would cost them nothing - would have been to offer replacement batteries at cost - or even at a substantial discount to retail.

You are defending what they've done rather agressively, and your tone carries an implication that we broke rules - and therefore "deserve" this financial penalty/punishment when in fact we did not break any rules whatsoever!

Say what you will - but nothing will convince me at this point that you don't have some sort of affiliation with DJI. Anyone else would at least have an ounce of sympathy and see that there were several ways DJI could have introduced these new restrictions without hurting their existing customers financially.

From the research I've done, it appears that they are 100% within their "legal" rights to do what they've done - but nothing will change the fact that it's a shifty way to treat your customers and a lot of other companies would have taken steps to make sure that the impact to their customers was minimized and offered at least partial restitution!

And as I said to another poster recently - if you think that's a fair way for a company to treat its customers - I'm extremely glad I don't do business with a company you run!

If DJI continues to mistreat it's customers and take them for granted, their will be a mass exodus to one is their competitors as soon as they achieve feature parity - (which is probably only 2 years away at most!)

People who buy the oem parts won't have anything to worry about. I'm not smart enough to tell the difference between a good aftermarket battery and a bad one so why should YOU get to pay less just because you're smarter than me?

Not worth replying to.

Last edited:
Not worth replying to.

Realistically your thread was not worth replying to at all but hearing someone continually ranting and raving about total nonsense is just nerve racking!
Don't worry yourself about DJI losing business and "a mass exodus".

Realistically your thread was not worth replying to at all but hearing someone continually ranting and raving about total nonsense is just nerve racking!
Don't worry yourself about DJI losing business and "a mass exodus".

Calling it "total nonsense" is proof you don't understand. And proof I was right not to engage.

Feel free to come back though if you ever come up with anything of value to contribute.

Calling it "total nonsense" is proof you don't understand. And proof I was right not to engage.

Feel free to come back though if you ever come up with anything of value to contribute.

How can I have anything of importance to say about a thread that has nothing to say but moan and groan? It is a useless thread which will get no where and has nothing to achieve but venting!
So I will take your advice and move on, good luck in your endeavours to achieve whatever your goal here is.

How can I have anything of importance to say about a thread that has nothing to say but moan and groan? It is a useless thread which will get no where and has nothing to achieve but venting!
So I will take your advice and move on, good luck in your endeavours to achieve whatever your goal here is.

Hilarious! I've said a few times throughout the thread that my only objective is venting.... And you just said that that is all I'm achieving...

So - what are you complaining about? I'm achieving exactly what I set out to do... You have a problem with that why? Move along if you don't like what I'm writing. Nobody invited you to stop by. Nobody is asking you to stay!

But next time you do visit a thread - read the whole thing before you bother jumping in and posting garbage. At least then it might be relevant garbage.

Hilarious! I've said a few times throughout the thread that my only objective is venting.... And you just said that that is all I'm achieving...

So - what are you complaining about? I'm achieving exactly what I set out to do... You have a problem with that why? Move along if you don't like what I'm writing. Nobody invited you to stop by. Nobody is asking you to stay!

But next time you do visit a thread - read the whole thing before you bother jumping in and posting garbage. At least then it might be relevant garbage.

I could understand if venting was all you were trying to achieve. But as your posts show you have other motives. I have no problem with you achieving what you set out to achieve. In fact I have no problem with your thread, but just because I don't see it your way should not get you more frustrated!

And every time you do respond to a post, it is an invitation to stay in this, now very funny thread! But as funny as it may be, I doubt any one in their right mind has read all the garbage you have written here.

Last edited:
It is clearly stated in the Battery Safety Guidelines manual that you should "Never use Non-DJI batteries".

So in this light, you either did not read the manual (understandable) or you decided to go ahead and disregard an important safety issue. So your argument that you were never told that you could not use 3rd party batts is at best weak.

Moving forward, you seem to conclude that the 3rd party batteries are fully compatible with the OEMs. Did you know this before you bought it or was price the driving force?
Honestly, you and I know that they can never be the same.

Now your main gripe is about the way that DJI handled the use of 3rd party batts. I will admit that that would piss me off as well, but just for a microsecond, consider DJI's point of view (I know it may be quite difficult for you). They are putting out a product that could very well EASILY kill people. They may have received numerous reports of birds falling out of the sky caused by 3rd party battery failure (how do you know they haven't). They choose a swift and unpopular response (your opinion) ... IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY.

Summing up......a hypothetical question for you....how would you feel if, god forbid, the bird you were flying, encountered a fault in the battery that DJI specifically stated not to use, dropped out of the sky and killed an innocent child. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes then. All for the sake of a few dollars which you can clearly afford based on your vast inventory of gear that you posted earlier. Take it on the chin and move on. Too much time wasted hear instead of in the air.

Reactions: ray rokni

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor