Critical Issue Discovered

I've had DJI P3P almost a year now. And I've had Litchi for two days now with 100% success (3/3 great successful missions I NEVER could do in real-time ... I wonder whether flying with the DJI vs Litchi is more error-prone?!).

Anyways, I bought this expensive toy knowing I should be VERY careful while flying, period! So I was amazed to that DJI might have some warranty if the bird was damaged and the fault is not caused by the user. If true, this is good PR for DJI.
It is using the DJI developer SDK, so it is DJI approved and supported software in that respect.

Any one seen anything to suggest this issue has been resolved in the firmware released today?
All indications are unfortunately that todays FW update falls short of including the much needed update to resolve the failsafe RTH issue. Very disappointing. I don't feel like waiting any longer. Either Autoflight Logic releases an LCMC version ASAP, or the Autopilot application gets thrown into the trash bin. Too bad.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.6.0, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.1A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy

So with Litchi the bird will ignore built-in NFZs? I want to fly in an area where RC fixed wing fly, but it is less than 5 miles from an airport.

I have flown within 5mi of an airport. Below tree level but still in the NFZ. Litchi never griped once.

All indications are unfortunately that todays FW update falls short of including the much needed update to resolve the failsafe RTH issue. Very disappointing. I don't feel like waiting any longer. Either Autoflight Logic releases an LCMC version ASAP, or the Autopilot application gets thrown into the trash bin. Too bad.

P3P W323B GL300C, APP V.2.6.0, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.1A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

<sarcasm>Although they did solve the problem of 3rd party batteries working in the Phantom!</sarcasm>

Reactions: Yeager74
Has anyone ever lost GPS while on a litchi mission.

How many people fly out of signal range ? Anyone else find how slowly time goes waiting for it to come back.
I fly out of video range every mission. It's an eternity waiting for it to return home. 3 times now I have lost all signal. I had a stopwatch and knew how long it would take to complete the mission and all 3 times I freaked out and jumped in my truck to meet it part way.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Correct, this isn't an RTH BUTTON flaw, purely signal loss issue that supposed to trigger RTH. Another way to test is to use WindSurfer reflectors, go up to about 350 elevation, run the quad North about 1500' (so you can still see with binoculars) and then turn the radio around with windsurfer reflectors facing South. See what happens. Once you lose control of the quad by facing South, it should return home. If not you can quickly turn around and regain a connection. An alternative is to slip behind a concrete building or block wall, that's another good way to hinder signal strength.

I'm curious what the drone does. Does it just hover till battery power runs out when signal is lost, or does it take off somewhere, or does it immediately trigger auto-land with signal loss?
Don't know if someone else answered this, here's why I read, which is now fixed for the P4 ONLY AFL said.
So here's what happens: You lose signal, RTH is activated, instead of direct route home, the craft then hovers in place, and stays there, until the critical battery phase, this in turn does make the craft try and return, but usually it's too far and auto lands, or tries to.
My whole thing is, if I am that far out I very well will be over water, to sit and hover to finally crash in the drink is about the worst case scenario! I'd rather it went into sport mode at top speed and raced home almost killing everyone, at least u may be able to regain control! Lol
It's a mute point for the P4 owners now as it was fixed last night by the website for AutoFlightLogic

After reading all theses posts and opinions I have only a couple points to address. This app as well as others apps are 3rd Party Apps. They are not DJI Apps. They may work fine and are compatible with any of the P3 platforms, however they are again 3rd Party Apps. What ever the case, DJI has no responsibility to ensure they work, solve support issues. This is the absolute responsibility of the developer. You assume the risk using another app. If you suffer a loss not due to human error you have a fighting chance with support from DJI if you were using a DJI App. If it crashed using a 3rd Party App don't blame DJI, you should make a claim with the Owner/Developer of the 3rd Party App.

After reading all theses posts and opinions I have only a couple points to address. This app as well as others apps are 3rd Party Apps. They are not DJI Apps. They may work fine and are compatible with any of the P3 platforms, however they are again 3rd Party Apps. What ever the case, DJI has no responsibility to ensure they work, solve support issues. This is the absolute responsibility of the developer. You assume the risk using another app. If you suffer a loss not due to human error you have a fighting chance with support from DJI if you were using a DJI App. If it crashed using a 3rd Party App don't blame DJI, you should make a claim with the Owner/Developer of the 3rd Party App.
DJI should be responsible for making sure they release firmware that performs properly. We have the AutoPilot problem because the firmware has an issue- if DJI didn't want to encourage third party app development there would be no SDK produced.

You assume the risk using another app.

Gunny,

Although I agree with the statement above, I think it's important to realize two things. First, the DJI system is a closed system so DJI controls anything and everything that can be implemented in all 3rd party apps via its SDK. Developers could circumvent some functions but they would then be violating the DJI licensing agreement. The reputable 3rd party developers here wouldn't risk it and I haven't seen them do it. Second, the "app" only assists with flight and function, the controller still controls the bird.

I have flown with a dozen 3rd party apps and now only fly with Litchi. After over a year of doing so with 3 different birds, I haven't had a single incident that could be related to a failure of the app. I have had incidents related to bad firmware implementation or hardware defects but never due to the app.

Remember, I do agree with your statement regarding my assumption of the risk, however, I think your statement regarding DJI's lack of responsibility, is a bit off the mark. Just my opinion, of course.:)

Semper Fidelis,

Jerry
SGT USMC

Look like am sticking with DJI GO....don't like the sound of using any other app...IMO!

yea this is dji's responsibility to fix considering the issue is with their SDK... these arent hacky apps ... they are apps made with DJIs SDK which is put out so people can make 3rd party apps.

Reactions: zlively
Except the fact DJI OFFERES THE SDK SO 3rd PARTY APPS CAN BE MADE!!!!
So your whole post is mute, you make a mute non point

Except the fact DJI OFFERES THE SDK SO 3rd PARTY APPS CAN BE MADE!!!!
So your whole post is mute, you make a mute non point
I think you mean moot, not mute, but yours is a moot point because DJI writing the SDK does not mean they also assume all responsibility for any app that uses their SDK. DJI also doesn't disavow any liability when you use a 3rd party app, because if the crash isn't pilot error, and is due to a hardware or firmware failure, they will still cover you, while using a 3rd party app based upon their SDK.

Reactions: With The Birds
I think you mean moot, not mute, but yours is a moot point because DJI writing the SDK does not mean they also assume all responsibility for any app that uses their SDK. DJI also doesn't disavow any liability when you use a 3rd party app, because if the crash isn't pilot error, and is due to a hardware or firmware failure, they will still cover you, while using a 3rd party app based upon their SDK.
Agreed, my point above re offering the SDK. I havent been keeping score however general observation (mine) from various threads on this forum and others is that DJI are just as likely to honour warranty whether flying with DJI GO or another app in cases of hardware/firmware related iasues. As to evidence it seems autopilot and litchi provide a simillar text file to GO and I auspect .dat files from the AC dont vary with APP used.

Its all good. Fire up your app of choice and enjoy.

Agreed, my point above re offering the SDK. I havent been keeping score however general observation (mine) from various threads on this forum and others is that DJI are just as likely to honour warranty whether flying with DJI GO or another app in cases of hardware/firmware related iasues. As to evidence it seems autopilot and litchi provide a simillar text file to GO and I auspect .dat files from the AC dont vary with APP used.

Its all good. Fire up your app of choice and enjoy.
Indeed! :cool:

Didn't intend in getting some folks panties in a wad. I understand your points,and respect them.Never was personal, however I was just stating an opinion. Not even trying to be an expert analysis of a certain 3rd Party software.
Bottom line DJI releases an SDK free of charge per se so that really smart folks who are experts in their field can develop a 3rd Party App that can be used with a DJI Platform. DJI also encourages this. However when you release this 3rd Party App and sell it, you the developer as well as the consumer assume the risks and failures. Not DJI or any other company that releases an SDK for their product, unless it was approved and licensed by them.
Bottom line was just giving an opinion based on life experiences.
So I say, go out buy a New Phantom 4, don't use DJI GO. Buy your 3rd Party App that everyone else recommends and/or uses, which was built on the DJI SDK.
Fly your New Phantom. Then for no reason it fails in flight, crashes or gets lost in the middle of you don't where the F it's at, or causes serious damage to the aircraft. Call DJI for support under warranty and make sure you tell them that you don't use DJI GO and were using App XYZ. .
Stay Thirsty My Friends

Reactions: zlively
Didn't intend in getting some folks panties in a wad. I understand your points,and respect them.Never was personal, however I was just stating an opinion. Not even trying to be an expert analysis of a certain 3rd Party software.
Bottom line DJI releases an SDK free of charge per se so that really smart folks who are experts in their field can develop a 3rd Party App that can be used with a DJI Platform. DJI also encourages this. However when you release this 3rd Party App and sell it, you the developer as well as the consumer assume the risks and failures. Not DJI or any other company that releases an SDK for their product, unless it was approved and licensed by them.
Bottom line was just giving an opinion based on life experiences.
So I say, go out buy a New Phantom 4, don't use DJI GO. Buy your 3rd Party App that everyone else recommends and/or uses, which was built on the DJI SDK.
Fly your New Phantom. Then for no reason it fails in flight, crashes or gets lost in the middle of you don't where the F it's at, or causes serious damage to the aircraft. Call DJI for support under warranty and make sure you tell them that you don't use DJI GO and were using App XYZ. .
Stay Thirsty My Friends
The .DAT file is determinative, and not which app you used to fly with before the crash. If the .DAT file shows no pilot error, and no issue that is clearly caused by a bug in the 3rd party app, your DJI warranty should cover you. If the crash is due to a bug in DJI's developer SDK, that should be covered too. YMMV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart