Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

- Crash into a lake... UPDATE: Found it!... UPDATE: Video

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mendezl, Feb 15, 2015.

  1. mendezl

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2014
    Messages:
    326
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Mandeville (New Orleans) Louisiana, USA
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    UPDATE 2: Gopro waterproof housing intact. Video of crash ---> http://youtu.be/IXJfbjRdOBE

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    UPDATE 1: Wow, Fount it!!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Yesterday, flying about 300 feet from shore about 40 feet altitude. It took a sudden but graceful front dive while it quickly tumbled on itself; 3 seconds later it crashed into the lake, little splash, I would give it a 9/10 ;)

    Some brainstorming. 5% chance ESC failure one of the front motors, 95% mystery :?:

    It is sligtly brackish water that is very murky, bad visibility. Jumped in the lake and spent 45 minutes in the 55 fahrenheit water with 1 foot waves and 4 feet deep looking for it feeling around with my feet (very cold, wish I have a wetsuit.) There is a 50% chance that I can retrieve it since it is not too deep. At this point electronics are most likely ruined (so far 18hrs in water.)

    On a positive note, two days ago I had taken off the H3-3D gimbal and fpv stuff (except the Iosdmini), the gopro is in the waterproof housing, so at this poing hoping to get the gopro back. Wish it had a getterback.

    Can we start a new forum "Phantom Loss Support Group" :cry:
     
  2. flybynight

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2015
    Messages:
    61
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Duluth Minnesota
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    propgaurds should be good as well.hope ya find it.hey what if a person had a small float with fishing line wrapped around a sugar cube on the phantom.when it hits water the cube melts releasing the float and bingo you get it back.
     
  3. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,683
    Likes Received:
    5,713
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Sure hate that for ya and know how ya feel ! Hope ya find it and don't give up cause just when ya least expect it BAM.. there it is ;)
    Am all for "Phantom Loss Support Group" :D
     
  4. Hughie

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2014
    Messages:
    1,477
    Likes Received:
    141
    Location:
    Leeds, United Kingdom
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    or even a GetterBack ?
     
  5. Hughie

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2014
    Messages:
    1,477
    Likes Received:
    141
    Location:
    Leeds, United Kingdom
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    So sorry to hear that. I hope you find it soon. I lose sleep about this kind of thing :(
     
  6. crash1sttime

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2014
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    74
    Location:
    Manchester UK
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found


    That idea is called the Getterback


    [​IMG]


    Works in a similar way.
     
  7. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,683
    Likes Received:
    5,713
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Have retrieved a lot of things from lakes by using a weighted treble hook and just dragging the bottom .
     
  8. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,683
    Likes Received:
    5,713
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Straps on easy when ya need it and does work very well !
     

    Attached Files:

  9. crash1sttime

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2014
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    74
    Location:
    Manchester UK
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Doesnt work when you land on dry land 7000ft away though, hey mate ;)
     
  10. kitari

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2014
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    43
    Location:
    Paris, TN
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    You can add me to the Phantom Loss Support Group as well. I still have an FC40 somewhere around my house and have yet to find it. Might bundle up and walk around the area again to see if it magically pops up, but it's been missing for about 5-6 months now. Even if it doesn't work at all, it would be still be nice to find it, just to see where it landed. I'd love to see the footage on it as well if it's still there.

    Also sorry to hear about your loss, maybe you'll be able to find it soon. You should try dirk's idea, That sounds like a great way to recover it if you know about where it went down.
     
  11. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,683
    Likes Received:
    5,713
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    :cry: Naaa
     
  12. Larry L

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    Messages:
    671
    Likes Received:
    39
    Location:
    Copperas Cove, Texas
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Well Kinda, If you are not color blind, the yellow should stand out but a tad closer than 7000ft :lol:
     
  13. Larry L

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    Messages:
    671
    Likes Received:
    39
    Location:
    Copperas Cove, Texas
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Sorry for your misfortune. Hope you find it. The electronics might be toast but hopefully your camera is still intact.
     
  14. Marlin009

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2014
    Messages:
    1,091
    Likes Received:
    515
    Location:
    West Coast of Florida
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    ****! Rough week for phantoms. Hope you're able to get it. In only 4' a cast net might be an option.

    55 degree water :eek: .
     
  15. pittsy

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2015
    Messages:
    55
    Likes Received:
    4
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    55° water. That's freezing. I wear a full length 5mm in anything below 72°
     
  16. mendezl

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2014
    Messages:
    326
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Mandeville (New Orleans) Louisiana, USA
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Back home soaking in hot bathtub warming up. Using a rake with 8 foot pole on bottom dragging it. Searching in a 600feet by 600feet area, might have covered a quarter so far. Using several poles to mark search area.
     

    Attached Files:

  17. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,683
    Likes Received:
    5,713
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    When ya looking for something ya love a little cold just ain't there ;)
     
  18. mendezl

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2014
    Messages:
    326
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Mandeville (New Orleans) Louisiana, USA
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... UPDATE : FOUND IT!

    Found it!!!
     
  19. Marlin009

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2014
    Messages:
    1,091
    Likes Received:
    515
    Location:
    West Coast of Florida
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... UPDATE : FOUND IT!

    Awesome!
     
  20. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,683
    Likes Received:
    5,713
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    Re: I crashed it into a lake... so far not found

    Great ! Hope ya can salvage a lot of it !!