Strange Crash: P3P Lost, Compass Went Haywire

In the future, if you get a compass error don't use RTH. If the bird doesn't know which way it's pointing it doesn't know which way to go home. You probably could have flown it back manually and landed it.

The P3P flew normally until the 2min 27sec mark then started spinning around wildly then RTH started to settle it out then spin again then screen goes black. Just before the incident it was around 170 ft. of altitude then just before the final blackout it was higher because I was trying to improve the signal and I verified that with the uploaded log file. I took off on the lake shore next to nothing metallic. I have flown here many times before no issues.

I don't think I can recover it. The lake is deep and it is mostly in ice now and no boats are going out there because the waterway is closed off in places due to ice.
I'm sorry for your loss. It certainly sounds like something made your compass go crazy . If you would've switched to atti mode you might have been able to recover enough to land safely . Have you tried to contact dji . I have heard that they offer a 30%-50% discount on your next phantom. They will be able to help you pull off more data from your tablet. That may tell the whole story behind what happened . Good luck and I hope you are back up in the air soon!!

I'm sorry for your loss. It certainly sounds like something made your compass go crazy . If you would've switched to atti mode you might have been able to recover enough to land safely . Have you tried to contact dji . I have heard that they offer a 30%-50% discount on your next phantom. They will be able to help you pull off more data from your tablet. That may tell the whole story behind what happened . Good luck and I hope you are back up in the air soon!!

Thanks for the review, I appreciate it! I did switch to atti after I RTH'd and it spun again and it didn't help unfortunately.

In the future, if you get a compass error don't use RTH. If the bird doesn't know which way it's pointing it doesn't know which way to go home. You probably could have flown it back manually and landed it.

I tried to go to ATTI mode after RTH just spun some more and no joy.

I've never used RTH, but I believe you have to cancel it before you can re-take control.

The battery issues are apparent from your HealthDrones analysis but do NOT seem to be a factor in the crash. I have had many batteries that demonstrated these problems without any associated compass issues
On the other hand the compass analysis shows severe issues leading up to the final entry. I would say they are the sole contributing factor to the crash.
Call DJI US support at (818) 235-0789 for the fastest service.

Don't know for sure but you might of pegged a bird, or even got into a brawl with a bird of Talon. I had a few close brawls with local hawks around my area here in eastern nc.

Reactions: Sagebrush
I've never used RTH, but I believe you have to cancel it before you can re-take control.
Side bar: You really should use RTH every now and then to familiarise yourself with how it works, and to be aware of its uses and limitations. It is also probably the only way to confirm you have good GPS locks and that your quad knows where 'home' really is.

Ive had a similar crash. Spun out of control, recovered then spun some more. My luck was a fairly soft landing and little damage. Engine failure according to dji after they analyzed my log. They repaired it under warranty. If they conclude the same you might be lucky. If a prop came off then you will probably be out of luck but theat would not explain the stabilization. Compass errors are probably a result of the spin rather than the cause. Good luck, sorry for your loss.

This smells like what happened to me (post brown trouser moment) cell 1 was also out and changing from GPS ATTI to ATTI without toggling the button!

I tried to go to ATTI mode after RTH just spun some more and no joy.

I toggled to RTH a couple times on my P2 to see how it works. Its a nice feature and I'm glad its there for emergencies. But it will only be a last resort for me..and should be for any good pilot. None of my model aircrafts before I started buying Phantoms had a RTH feature and I never lost one through many years of flying.

Hindsight and all that... But you probably should have caught that cell deviation on take off. Definitely not good, though seems unlikely to have caused the crash.

My money is on compass failure or bird strike, but really hard to tell conclusively.

Curious if you're in nevada? I'm at lake Tahoe right now (kings beach) and yesterday I kept getting error messages about compass calibration and electrico magnetic interference..

Curious if you're in nevada? I'm at lake Tahoe right now (kings beach) and yesterday I kept getting error messages about compass calibration and electrico magnetic interference..

I think he said he was flying over a semi frozen lake. I haven't been to Nevada in a while but it sounds unlikely.

Part of Lake Tahoe is frozen. I'm sure smaller lakes around here are partly frozen.

I'm about 1 mile from the nevada border. (His profile says NV, that's why I asked if he was on this side of the country)

It'd be interesting tho if he's within a few hundred miles. Something maybe going on in the atmosphere from the recent solar flare a couple days ago as we both had compass issues same day...

I was flying up in Maine. That is pretty far North of course and we did have solar storm impacts the day before I flew.

DJI finally got back to me and I get the same "resolution" as all the other fly aways with evidence. I get 30% off a new P3P, bird only. What a bunch of garbage. They said that interference from unregulated devices could have played a part, of course I was flying where there isn't even a cell phone tower for miles much less power lines and other "FCC" related emissions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik