Confusing dji article

I really wish they would just answer the questions with plain language. Will this restrict the users choice in how to fly? Will this mean you're removing the flight parameters page and say locking the ceiling to 400ft no exceptions? I always knew that if I took my drone to Europe for example the system was going to reconfigure the radio to comply with European restrictions. I also knew the NFZ were either already in the drone's firmware or they would be put there when you logged in to the app while on wifi or whatnot. If they simply told us what they were doing and what steps they were taking then this would give everyone the information they need to decide if the want to play along or not.

From what I gathered they were supposed to release this firmware the week of May 24 as well as the new DJI GO app and so far no update. I have to wonder if the backlash is making them rethink their position.

Last edited:
I really wish they would just answer the questions with plain language. Will this restrict the users choice in how to fly? Will this mean you're removing the flight parameters page and say locking the ceiling to 400ft no exceptions? I always knew that if I took my drone to Europe for example the system was going to reconfigure the radio to comply with European restrictions. I also knew the NFZ were either already in the drone's firmware or they would be put there when you logged in to the app while on wifi or whatnot. If they simply told us what they were doing and what steps they were taking then this would give everyone the information they need to decide if the want to play along or not.

From what I gathered they were supposed to release this firmware the week of May 24 as well as the new DJI GO app and so far no update. I have to wonder if the backlash is making them rethink their position.

All that information will obviously be available when the updates are released. Why don't you just wait and make a decision then? Why the need for constant, hand-wringing, uninformed speculation on what might happen? And since the week of May 24 is still with us, why do you think the updates have been delayed?

I think the bigger frustration is not having the opportunity to (or knowing how to) provide effective feedback as an end user, prior to having changes imposed.

That applies to a lot of things, which is entirely similar to the situation with the Canadian interim orders and the pending legislation.

You know it's coming, you may not like it, and you're frustrated because you weren't asked, and you know it's going to be harder to regain freedoms after they are removed so you're scrambling now while you still can, with "you" meaning "anyone".

Add to that the likelihood that getting a company operating in a distant, communist country with a different language to listen and/or respond to your concerns is virtually non-existant.

So me? I do what I CAN, and avoid worrying about what I CAN'T. It is after all, just a hobby, and as soon as I let it stress me, it's not a worthwhile hobby any more.

I'll update and reregister and hope that my experience is as enjoyable as it has been so far.

Why? Because I'm not going to alter my phone habits (ie auto updates) to cater to just one of a hundred other apps I have. I'm not going to trouble myself with avoiding FW reminders, and I'm not going to try to predict (and risk being wrong) about the results of that.

If my AC is going to remind me (or prevent me) from flying somewhere I shouldn't, then maybe I shouldn't be flying there, and maybe for good reason.

I do admit I'm not a fan of my aircraft being disabled or otherwise altered if I can't or don't maintain an internet connection, but I figure there is some kind of fine print that I agreed to after some "I agree" button I tapped on and I'm not passionate enough about it to reread all that.

Maybe this needs to happen to prevent an all-out ban, but it's only passionate here, on a DJI forum, because we are DJI pilots. Governments, lobbyists, they all cater the the majority. We are far from that.

Reactions: Loz and sar104
All that information will obviously be available when the updates are released. Why don't you just wait and make a decision then? Why the need for constant, hand-wringing, uninformed speculation on what might happen? And since the week of May 24 is still with us, why do you think the updates have been delayed?

That's the second time I can remember that you've said exactly what I was trying to say, but said it in one paragraph instead of 12 and while I was still typing.

Reactions: sar104
That's the second time I can remember that you've said exactly what I was trying to say, but said it in one paragraph instead of 12 and while I was still typing.

Sorry about that. A lot of my time is spent condensing concepts and arguments, and it just carries over to this kind of discussion. And your post did contain far more information, too.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
DJI is not clear as to what's going to be restricted with these new changes in place. If you don't want to be affected by the changes, then make sure you're running everything in a bubble (i.e. don't connect to the Internet, don't update DJI GO, don't update the firmware). Running in a bubble is not really practical though. Whatever DJI is cooking up will most likely be applied to anything you buy from them in the future.

Msinger if you don't update your firmware and your running a older app and don't log in but your are connected to wifi for the maps how do you receive this message then? Are you connected to dji mainframe as soon as you turn on your bird and open the app even if your not logged in[emoji848]

Msinger if you don't update your firmware and your running a older app and don't log in but your are connected to wifi for the maps how do you receive this message then? Are you connected to dji mainframe as soon as you turn on your bird and open the app even if your not logged in[emoji848]
If you're able to download maps in DJI GO, then DJI GO is able to connect to DJI's servers. I don't know the inner workings of the app, so I'm not sure what all it's programmed to do when it's able to hit their back-end.

So really my only way to avoid this is to turn off wifi when I'm using the drone[emoji30]

So really my only way to avoid this is to turn off wifi when I'm using the drone[emoji30]
Nobody knows for sure if there is a foolproof plan to avoid any upcoming changes. Then again, we're not even sure what's being changed. I think it's going to end up being much ado about nothing.

Reactions: V tail
You maybe right, but I've had bad luck with firmware updates. Bricked my drone twice so now that everything is working perfect i don't want to ever do a firmware update. I don't even update my app anymore with fear of something bad happening so I really would like to leave everything alone forever...or until the drone is dead[emoji6]

"Local" wifi which doesnt have access to the internet and/or DJI servers...

Absolutely correct.

I'm just seeing a scenario where, while trying to remember I don't want a GO app update or a connection to the internet or a firmware update, but I DO want the rest of my routine app updates and I do need to be connected to the internet 99% of the time, I'm going to inconvenience myself FAR more trying to avoid all this (with data on/off, app updates on/off or pick and choose, etc) than if I just accept the changes and work with them.

I guess it's a "pick your battles" thing for me.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
Well as for inconvenience I've always done my own updating for apps on my devices. I usually get "bothered" by seeing that iOS red dot with a number telling me something. So I moved my App Store icon to the very last screen where I can't see it immediately.

I did flash back to the 418 as a precaution if 509 was "compromised." If it's not then I'll flash back to 509 as it played well with Litchi.

You can go into settings and have it not show the number. I've had mine set like that since day one on my first iPhone. No need to burry the app somewhere...

Looks like the update is here.... For android at least

No idea if the P4P will get the new modes. I'm waiting on the ios version before the inevitable upgrade, but it seems like there is a feature for live NFZ for example if the police are dealing with an incident they can create an instant NFZ maybe?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka