conflicted: Phantom 4 Pro + (with 5.5” display) vs the Phantom 4 Pro

Question for msinger: Will it be possible to attach the CrystalSky monitor to the controller of the P4P+.
I saw already a lot of speculations but did not find a definitive answer.
I want to buy a P4P+ and connect the bigger an brighter monitor.

Thanks,

Marc.

Based on the given availability I'm thinking (having a hard time) maybe to order P4P instead of P4P+...
question: can the standard P4 controller charge an iPad Air 2?

I like the built in screen it's easy use, one button, one device to charge and not taking care if each and every device is fully charged.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Nope. You have to charge everything separately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Phantom 4 Pro+ controller should work with the Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4, Phantom 3 Pro, Phantom 3 Advanced. It may even control the Mavic Pro (certainly via WiFi, but not sure with OccuSync)

The CrystalSky controller is backwards compatible as well. Since the Phantom 4 Pro+ controller has similar specs to the CrystalSky controller, there is ZERO doubt that both controllers will work with many future models of the Phantom and other DJI drones.
The P4P controllers are not backwards compatible with anything. They use a new version of Lightbridge which is not compatible with earlier Phantom models, and certainly not the Mavic since the P4P controllers support neither Occusync or WiFi.

Question for msinger: Will it be possible to attach the CrystalSky monitor to the controller of the P4P+.

Thanks,

Marc.
Yes. The separate CrystalSky can plug into the USB port on the bottom of the P4P+ transmitter, which then disables the built-in screen and replaces it. Then you just need to mount the separate CrystalSky monitor over the built-in screen. Gaffers tape will certainly hold it in place, or you can find a more elegant mounting solution.

Yes. The separate CrystalSky can plug into the USB port on the bottom of the P4P+ transmitter, which then disables the built-in screen and replaces it. Then you just need to mount the separate CrystalSky monitor over the built-in screen. Gaffers tape will certainly hold it in place, or you can find a more elegant mounting solution.
Isn't the USB connection on the back top where the HDMI is located? I don't see connectors on the bottom.

Personally, I see no reason to buy a P4P+ if the plan is to use a 7.9" CrystalSky display. You need the display clip of the P4P to hold the display, which you don't get with the P4P+, correct? Wouldn't we be better off buying the P4P (quicker delivery) and installing the optional HDMI module ($99) yourself (assuming you wanted to use goggles). That's $200 less and you have the clip, ready for any display. The DJI propaganda about less latency isn't that much of an advantage. An iPad Mini2 gives me 180 to 220ms latency, when the P4P+ claims 180ms (I think). We know DJI fudges numbers (P4=28min, 22mph w/OA) so it appears to me there's no tangible latency advantage.

I'm annoyed that DJI didn't include the HDMI connection on the P4P when they call this their "PRO" version. Typhoon H and Solo both have HDMI out as STANDARD! Give me a break! That module costs them less than $20 to manufacture. It doesn't affect me since I already have one I can transfer, but it's just annoying how they missed the mark, given the trivial added manufacturing cost. It just seems petty for a "PRO" version to omit this.

Last edited:
Reactions: WWK888
What method did you use to determine the latency of your iPad?
This is the least latency I got.
upload_2016-11-27_14-34-56.png

This is the most latency I got.
upload_2016-11-27_14-35-30.png

Here's the Crystal Sky propaganda
upload_2016-11-29_15-59-16.png

Last edited:
Isn't the USB connection on the back top where the HDMI is located? I don't see connectors on the bottom.

Personally, I see no reason to buy a P4P+ if the plan is to use a 7.9" CrystalSky display. You need the display clip of the P4P to hold the display, which you don't get with the P4P+, correct? Wouldn't we be better off buying the P4P (quicker delivery) and installing the optional HDMI module ($99) yourself (assuming you wanted to use goggles). That's $200 less and you have the clip, ready for any display. The DJI propaganda about less latency isn't that much of an advantage. An iPad Mini2 gives me 180 to 220ms latency, when the P4P+ claims 180ms (I think). We know DJI fudges numbers (P4=28min, 22mph w/OA) so it appears to me there's no tangible latency advantage.

I'm annoyed that DJI didn't include the HDMI connection on the P4P when they call this their "PRO" version. Typhoon H and Solo both have HDMI out as STANDARD! Give me a break! That module costs them less than $20 to manufacture. It doesn't affect me since I already have one I can transfer, but it's just annoying how they missed the mark, given the trivial added manufacturing cost. It just seems petty for a "PRO" version to omit this.
The USB connector is, indeed, next to the HDMI on the back lower side of the controller, which I obtusely referred to as the "bottom." This module also includes an integrated microUSB card reader, to play back and review the video from the card inside the aircraft immediately, and potentially edit it or use WiFi to share it. The separate $99 HDMI board is missing that microSD card reader. A microphone is also included on the remote for use during live streaming, if that is your thing, to narrate your flight.

Even if there is no latency difference, the stability of a hardwired connection to the built-in screen is a huge benefit. All that yanking on the cable takes its toll with looser connections over time. It has on my Air 2, which now won't reliably read an iFlash Device card reader, and bad cable connections between the tablet and the controller can wreak havoc.

Given that the built-in P4P+ screen has the 5.5" CrystalSky specs, I suspect that it will be quite usable, and much cheaper than buying the standalone 5.5" version because the ports are integrated into the controller, instead. Having a single integrated battery inside the remote to power both the screen and the remote for up to 10 flights is another major benefit. Only one battery to charge, too. iPhone 6+ screen remains unused, prolonging its battery life, and will act as the HotSpot for maps in the field. Most importantly, no more annoying in flight interruptions on the DJIGo screen from emails, texts, and phone calls!

I'll take the "bird in the hand" built-in 5.5" screen today, over my iPad Mini 4, and will likely find it is more than adequate, over waiting to find out the price of the 7.9" standalone version, which will never be hardwired, and will require a separate internal battery, increasing the size and weight. Otherwise, I'm permanently giving up several of the benefits of the P4P+ that have great appeal to me. The 1-2 week delay to get the P4P+ is a minor inconvenience that will be paid back in spades over the lifetime of my P4P+. If I am wrong, I can always slap my Mini 4 or 7.9" CrysalSki over the built-in 5.5" screen, and use the USB port on the back with a cable. I'll still have a fully operational setup for ease of deployment in the stock P4P+ unit, or as a backup! :cool:

Since the P4P+ is effectively is only $100 more than the P4P ($100 for the HDMI board, plus another $100 for an external BT GPS, which is integrated into the P4P+ controller) and the built-in microSD card reader for playback is worth $100 to me, the 5.5" built-in CrysalSky screen is FREE!:)

Last edited:
I see a lot of 'I'd rather have the 7.8" CrystalSky display over the 5.5" comments, but ya... of course... and we'd all probably 'rather' have the Inspire 2 than the P4P, but there is the little issue of cost. From all I've been able to gather the price of the 7.8" CrystalSky unit is likely to be in the $800-$1000 range, so what you have to ask yourself whether you'd also be willing to pay another $500-$700 for the larger screen... well would ya... punk? :D

Getting the 5.5" screen for only $300 extra is about the most cost efficient way you're gonna get into a CrystalSky display.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I see a lot of 'I'd rather have the 7.8" CrystalSky display over the 5.5" comments, but ya... of course... and we'd all probably 'rather' have the Inspire 2 than the P4P, but there is the little issue of cost. From all I've been able to gather the price of the 7.8" CrystalSky unit is likely to be in the $800-$1000 range, so what you have to ask yourself whether you'd also be willing to pay another $500-$700 for the larger screen... well would ya... punk? :D

Getting the 5.5" screen for only $300 extra is about the most cost efficient way you're gonna get into a CrystalSky display.
Keep in mind that nobody knows the price of the 7.9" Crystalsky device, it's all a guessing game right now. From a manufacturing point of view those daylight readable displays are typically cost about 2X the price for the glass, and the glass is only about 1/3 the cost of the materials for a tablet. However, manufacturing cost has nothing to do with resell price for some products. It will be up to DJI to determine the price, and I expect that to be lower than speculation from this forum. If it's too high people won't buy it, so it will be interesting to see what they introduce it for. I'll put my stake in the ground and predict it will less than $400 in 2yrs, that's my prediction. I think other manufacturers are working on similar daylight readable android devices, which will help drive costs down. I will be looking for those at CES this coming Jan. I bet I'll find some. You can find Chinese manufacturers of these hi-bright tablets today, so it's just a matter of time before we're in "flight display nirvana" that we'll need sunglasses to use. LOL.... :sunglasses:

Keep in mind that nobody knows the price of the 7.9" Crystalsky device, it's all a guessing game right now. From a manufacturing point of view those daylight readable displays are typically cost about 2X the price for the glass, and the glass is only about 1/3 the cost of the materials for a tablet. However, manufacturing cost has nothing to do with resell price for some products. It will be up to DJI to determine the price, and I expect that to be lower than speculation from this forum. If it's too high people won't buy it, so it will be interesting to see what they introduce it for. I'll put my stake in the ground and predict it will less than $400 in 2yrs, that's my prediction. I think other manufacturers are working on similar daylight readable android devices, which will help drive costs down. I will be looking for those at CES this coming Jan. I bet I'll find some. You can find Chinese manufacturers of these hi-bright tablets today, so it's just a matter of time before we're in "flight display nirvana" that we'll need sunglasses to use. LOL.... :sunglasses:
Yet the price of the 5.5" Crystalski screen is already included today in the price of the P4P+, along with HDMI, GPS, a microSD card reader to play back 4K drone videos on the display in the field. No guessing necessary there! It's a wonderful world! :cool:

I'll put my stake in the ground and predict it will less than $400 in 2yrs, that's my prediction.
Well who knows, the way things are going who can predict what drones will do or cost two years out. The only problem with waiting for lower prices is when you want to fly today, not two years from now. ;)

Yet the price of the 5.5" Crystalski screen is already included today in the price of the P4P+, along with HDMI, GPS, a microSD card reader to play back 4K drone videos on the display in the field. No guessing necessary there! It's a wonderful world! :cool:
It's only a 1080 display isn't it? I don't think anyone makes a 4K display in a tablet or laptop size yet do they? I think it will have to render a 1080 resolution for playback. I'm curious if it will choke on a 4K video. Has anyone tried to play 4K videos straight from the SD card on the nvidia K1?

It's only a 1080 display isn't it? I don't think anyone makes a 4K display in a tablet or laptop size yet do they? I think it will have to render a 1080 resolution for playback. I'm curious if it will choke on a 4K video. Has anyone tried to play 4K videos straight from the SD card on the nvidia K1?
I'm a bit skeptical about that feature, as well. My iPad Pro won't even play original or edited 4K videos stored on the miniSD card with the iFlashDevice, unless they are under 2.5GB in size, and the continuous 4K video is recorded on the micro SD card in 4GB chunks. No dice, unless I manually stop and start the inflight video manually before it reaches 2.5GB per file. The P4P also touts the ability to use an xFAT file format, which should finally remove the 4GB file size limitation, if the card is 64GB or larger, so no more lost gaps in the continuous video, but the resulting file will also not be supported for viewing by the iFlashDevice. So, my guess is that only 1080p recordings will be able to be played back on the built-in screen. Hmmm. It will be one of the first things I test during my 7 day return period with DJI!

You should get the P4P instead then. When the CrystalSky monitor is available, you'll be able to attach it to the P4P remote controller.

I'm going to go for one without a display, I cannot stand android, it's buggy, glitchy, weak etc I'm going to stick with iOS my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164