Compass Error cause or correlation?

Considering the situation....in that the aircraft is 1.5yrs and out of warranty, and the fact that I completely disagree with directing dji to this website for various reasons.

If this were my P3A, I would research and locate others who have had the same or similar issue and find out what the cure was and go from that point. I have read recently where someone with the same issue sent their a/c to dji for repair. I can't remember 100% what they said, but I think the person said dji replaced the IMU. This took place during the time we were without a data converter which tied our hands from being able to analyze data the way it needed to be.

Now one thing is clear, and that is when someone receives their repaired a/c back they are given almost NO details whatsoever about the a/c. This is really sad. I sort of understand that when the a/c is repaired under warranty that it was broke going in, and fixed coming back seems to satisfy most. But I personally want to know everything that took place with my a/c. That tends to be valuable info later on especially after a warranty expires.

At any rate, what has happened with Dounin Front's a/c is not rare. There are others out there that has experienced the same issue. I don't think it will take much networking to find the golden info.

Btw DF, I totally agree with BudWalker in that you should install CsvView. It is not a matter of not knowing how to use it. That is one of the things about CsvView is, you can learn from it just by comparing a known area with a issue in the .txt file and pull that same point up in CsvView and see what wrong and right look like in that particular situation.
Thanks Frank, as always, I value your input. I have saved the link to CSVVIEW and will install it and compare flights. I appreciate Bud's work also.
I was just hoping to persuade one of DJI's experts to take an interest in the flight and offer a suggestion. This will probably have to go down as undermined anomaly. let's hope it's one off and doesn't prove to be intermittent.
It didn't occur to me that I shouldn't refer to this thread in my correspondence with DJI. She asked for all the information regarding the event and I thought it would be easy for them to get up to speed on the issue that way. I did give here a basic report of what happened when we started our chat an hour earlier.
Tomorrow will be my new maiden voyage (post recalibration) - too windy today.

At any rate, what has happened with Dounin Front's a/c is not rare. There are others out there that has experienced the same issue. I don't think it will take much networking to find the golden info.
This one seems to be different than other in flight compass errors. At least different than the ones I've seen and have hard data. In this incident the P3 was flying opposite the stick input after the compass error and subsequent switch to ATTI. The other flights that I've looked at has the P3 switch to ATTI but still being controlled by the stick inputs.

This one seems to be different than other in flight compass errors. At least different than the ones I've seen and have hard data. In this incident the P3 was flying opposite the stick input after the compass error and subsequent switch to ATTI. The other flights that I've looked at has the P3 switch to ATTI but still being controlled by the stick inputs.
Oh great - more stuff I don't understand
All I can say for now is I recalibrated everything - though it said it was not needed. Looked over the controller settings and reset a few thing to factory. And hope to fly again another day. I will install CsvView. ;)
Thank you!

Oh great - more stuff I don't understand
All I can say for now is I recalibrated everything - though it said it was not needed. Looked over the controller settings and reset a few thing to factory. And hope to fly again another day. I will install CsvView. ;)
Thank you!
But, it was you who pointed out that the P3 was moving opposite the stick inputs. At least that's what I thought you were saying :). Up to then I was thinking ho-hum, another inflight compass error with no adverse effects.

Do you have a video from this flight?

Maybe it's possible he has a GL-300A R/C, and if so he might be one of the reasons dji recently put a update that focuses on that particular R/C? If he doesn't have the 300A then what I just mentioned doesn't mean anything. I have that R/C myself, but I don't update to the newer firmwares. I have a feeling they have ran into some kind of issue with the GL-300A's and the more recent firmware.

Maybe it's possible he has a GL-300A R/C, and if so he might be one of the reasons dji recently put a update that focuses on that particular R/C? If he doesn't have the 300A then what I just mentioned doesn't mean anything. I have that R/C myself, but I don't update to the newer firmwares. I have a feeling they have ran into some kind of issue with the GL-300A's and the more recent firmware.
Frank
I do have the 300A controller, but I've had no problems (to my knowledge) with updates through the Go app. My controller version is 1.8.

Did you get this controller update installed?

1rcu.jpg

Last edited:
I had stated that the P3 was moving in the opposite direction as that commanded by the aileron.The aileron had moved 100% left yet the P3 was flying right. Although that's technically true there is more to it than that. I had assumed, without looking closer, that the motors were be commanded to move right even though the aileron was 100% left. This is total nonsense.

When the switch to ATTI came the aileron was neutral and the P3 began to drift ,gaining speed until 100% left aileron was applied at about 63.8. As a result the P3 rolled left 20 degrees and the P3 began to slow down. In fact, it had almost stopped at 67.4 when the aileron was released and the P3 began to drift again
upload_2016-11-1_6-7-57.png

upload_2016-11-1_6-8-9.png

It's hard to tell without being there at the controls but it does seem like the P3 should've responded faster. I.e, should it have slowed down faster. What are the sensitivity settings? Seems like every version of the Go App is different but look in MC Settings-> Advanced Settings where you'll see things like Gain, Sensitivity (or Stick Filtering).

I had stated that the P3 was moving in the opposite direction as that commanded by the aileron.The aileron had moved 100% left yet the P3 was flying right. Although that's technically true there is more to it than that. I had assumed, without looking closer, that the motors were be commanded to move right even though the aileron was 100% left. This is total nonsense.

When the switch to ATTI came the aileron was neutral and the P3 began to drift ,gaining speed until 100% left aileron was applied at about 63.8. As a result the P3 rolled left 20 degrees and the P3 began to slow down. In fact, it had almost stopped at 67.4 when the aileron was released and the P3 began to drift again
View attachment 68035
View attachment 68036

It's hard to tell without being there at the controls but it does seem like the P3 should've responded faster. I.e, should it have slowed down faster. What are the sensitivity settings? Seems like every version of the Go App is different but look in MC Settings-> Advanced Settings where you'll see things like Gain, Sensitivity (or Stick Filtering).
Here are the sensitivity settings. I was looking at my settings yesterday and did tweak a couple of things. Not these I think. I do not know what Yaw endpoint means.

Sensitivity (800x600).jpg

Thanks Frank, yes I got it. my controller is 1.8.0 and the app has updated again to 3.0.1 ipad mini2. All is working well, but for the one anomaly.
Still windy this morning and I'm not much of a wind surfer.

If all else stays the same you may want to try and revert the RC to 1.6
as FlyNfrank alluded to with the fw update

I had to do so with my 300a to get a usable video stream back after 1.8 update
--I am android vs your ios though.

the day it updated my became unusable almost
the moment I did 1.6 all was as it was prior---perfectly fine

good luck and have fun flying!

If all else stays the same you may want to try and revert the RC to 1.6
as FlyNfrank alluded to with the fw update

I had to do so with my 300a to get a usable video stream back after 1.8 update
--I am android vs your ios though.

the day it updated my became unusable almost
the moment I did 1.6 all was as it was prior---perfectly fine

good luck and have fun flying!
Hey Kirk
Interesting about the video from your 300A controller. I have seen no noticeable video problems at all, including at distances of a mile. I did, as suggested by Litchi (I believe), set my video down link tp 4mps for my P3 Advanced.
I forget, how did you downgrade the controller to 1.6? But, maybe it's not necessary on IOS at 4mbs.

Hey Kirk
Interesting about the video from your 300A controller. I have seen no noticeable video problems at all, including at distances of a mile. I did, as suggested by Litchi (I believe), set my video down link tp 4mps for my P3 Advanced.
I forget, how did you downgrade the controller to 1.6? But, maybe it's not necessary on IOS at 4mbs.

my thinking was not so much video
but maybe something in the 1.8 manifested itself in a different way in ios..

easy to revert its in the app takes 10 minutes or so
and you can always go back to 1.8 if no change to the positive

Reactions: Dounin Front
Hey Kirk

DF, could take a moment and upload the .TXT file of the flight that had the issues? Just place the file in a folder and zip it, then upload it here same as of it were an image.

Also I don't remember asking, what was the last changes you remember making right before this current issue took place?

Hey Frank, would that be the . dat file or the csv I converted it to?

There are two types of flight log files. The .dat file which located in the a/c. The other is a .txt file located in the device used to host the GO app.
That file you're looking for will look similar to this:
"DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-23_[19-22-40].txt"

There are two types of flight log files. The .dat file which located in the a/c. The other is a .txt file located in the device used to host the GO app.
That file you're looking for will look similar to this:
"DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-23_[19-22-40].txt"
Please pardon my ignorance, but I haven't a clue how to find a .txt file on my Ipad. I do see a similar csv file export from the Go Flight List but I have no idea where it goes when I click export. (I hate ipads - everything is hidden)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT