Chinese Gimbal Install Help

Reaction score
Ok, I got a chinese 2 axis simple bgc gimble to put on my Phanton 2 Vision. I'm just not sure how to hook it all up with no directions. I searched youtube for videos but no one seems to have one like mine.

So my first question is from the gimble there is a wire hanging off of it with a plug. The wires are black and red. I am pretty sure this is the power. I don't have any ports to plug this into anywhere that I see, so I'm guessing I need to solder an opposite plug to the main power on the vision, then run it down the leg and connect the two plugs together. This is all a guess and if this is what I'm supposed to do, where would I find the plug for the other end? What is the type of plug called? Or if there is a better way to do it, i'm open for it.

After that, I know I need to run one of the two cables from F2 on the naza in the vision down to the gimble. I'm just not sure on which prongs on the gimble. Now one of the two cords only has 2 wires going all the way through. The other cord has all 3 going through. I saw some videos say I only need one prong covered and not all three. I'm guessing it goes all the way on the right and I only need the one cable that has three wires in it. Again, I'm just guessing.

Hope someone can steer me the right direction. I just want to confirm with someone before I try it. I'd hate to ruin anything. Thanks again for the help. I've posted pictures in an album so you can see the parts I am referring to. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

It looks like you've got a gimbal which is commonly used on the P1 & FC40. You may want to take a look around there.

Red is hot, Black is ground. I'm not a P2 guy (yet) so I can't tell you where to tap into your bird to get the power. :(

This link may help. The pins you show in the pic seem to be the same as mine. There's a pic in my post #3. I have heard of folks using your gimbal say the pitch connection is different. I have NOT heard of anyone frying anything by connecting to the wrong pins while trying to get the pitch working, if that's any consolation.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/my-new-gimbal…-oh-what-a-joy-to-connect.25901/

Answer
#1: Amazon, Ebay, your local hobby shop, from a link I've provided here, or from one of our advertisers here in the forum should have what you're looking for. Solder and shrink tubing also works, but a plug is nice to have.

#2: Picture #2 Is a "Servo connector". It's the same type that is plugged into my NAZA module, at the F2. You can use one of those setups to power your pitch control on your gimbal. The wires & ends can be removed from the plastic and relocated to accommodate your needs. There is a very tiny tab which must be moved to pull the wire from the connector.

The pins in your picture #1 will be used to control the pitch. Which pins you ask? Maybe the same as mine, maybe not. Some folks say 1 wire, some say 2 wires are needed for pitch control. Mine needs 2 wires from the NAZA F2. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Picture #3 Is how you will power your gimbal and it looks like half of a "JST-XH 4 Pin Connector"
http://www.batteryspace.com/connect...lejstconnectorto4pinfemalejstxhconnector.aspx
It is commonly referred to as a "Balance plug". The P1 and FC40 batteries have a red and black wire attached to an XT60 connector (which you do not have pictured) and our batteries also have a balance plug which gets plugged into the balance port of our charger. We can also power accessories from the balance plug. It appears whoever you purchased your gimbal from, thought you were going to use it on a setup with our type of battery. I wouldn't use what they attached.

To supply power to my gimbal, I like to use a JST RCY connector which is smaller and can't be plugged in backwards. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10501

There are a few helpful links in my signature. I think they are worth checking out when you've got time.

Keep us posted on your progress.

FYI Jittery gimbals mean they are out of balance or something is touching them. They don't like being touched.:eek:

Reactions: Clampit
Wow, thank you....so much information. The video was quite helpful as well as your links. I think I have a much better idea of what I'm doing now thanks to your response. Off to the store to get some parts. Thanks again!

Wow, thank you....so much information. The video was quite helpful as well as your links. I think I have a much better idea of what I'm doing now thanks to your response. Off to the store to get some parts. Thanks again!

My pleasure Jeff. Next time you pass through Wyoming, I'll be expecting a beer. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl