Carbon propellers

My 2 cents.......
CF being more rigid , will likely convert more energy into lift , than a flexy plastic prop. Some energy will be absorbed in the flexing , but whether it increases flight time , I doubt very much . I have some aftermarket ones , not tried yet , but I would expect them to respond to control inputs a bit sharper than softer plastic ones . Whether it be enough to quantify , or even notice , are 2 questions unresolved as yet . They were off Ebay , and as I've got plenty of O.E. spares ,may not get used , unles I have a bad prop day and run short .

I'd like to see your three blade set up . How long of a hover test are you getting just wandering. Thanks
I can put in hover with a 7-10 breeze/gusts and it is rock steady. I will post a pic for you, and like I said I only use these when I have to or want to fly on winder days.

I can put in hover with a 7-10 breeze/gusts and it is rock steady. I will post a pic for you, and like I said I only use these when I have to or want to fly on winder days.
I didn't answer your question, it will hover in place until my battery warning comes on at 30% and it keeps position perfect.

David
I agree with your prop balancer recommendation. I've balanced all my props. The DJI CF's are similar sounding to OE. Your 3 blade props could easily be quieter if they spin slower. If fact that would be a great experiment to check the rpm at hover from the internal flight log. You could even just put one of the other type on and see what RPM it needs from that motor to maintain balance.
Let us know
That sounds like a great test, I will set up by beater Drone with one set of standard carbon fiber blades and the other set with the 3 blade and see what I get just hovering. I'll let you know the results.

hey man, any chance you can post a video and a link to the props? all other cases i've heard of tri-props on p3 resulted in crash, maybe you found a good match! can you share some more info? that would be great, would love to see a video of it taking off with these props.
I ordered the props thru Amazon and the vendor was (Drone fans) and they came perfectly balanced all 3 sets. When the weather improves I will post some picks also when I did my hover test it was at 50" or roughly 15 Meters

Reactions: Digdat0
hey man, any chance you can post a video and a link to the props? all other cases i've heard of tri-props on p3 resulted in crash, maybe you found a good match! can you share some more info? that would be great, would love to see a video of it taking off with these props.
I will as soon as the weather gets better.

Here is a flight of mine with CF props. I did not see any increase in speed, it did respond faster. Now one thing I did not think about, was the CF props using less power? I'll have to try the same flight with plastic OEM props and see if I get any different . To push a P3a to 22184 ft with a single battery I think is pretty good.

Last edited:
I bought a pre-owned P3P and it came with CF props. I had heard they were fragile and I inspected them closely and they appeared to be in good shape. I was going to buy a set of standard props but as it turned out, I waited to long! I also have a P3S with the DJI plastic props and I'm ashamed to say I trimmed a few hedges while learning to fly it but with no real harm, just greened up the blades a little. I even sliced off a pencil sized tree twig once and only dinged up the edges. It's been quite a while since I hit any tree foliage until recently.

The CF props however are not hardy at all. Got a little too close to a tree while lining up a shot, an unexpected breeze sent a branch swinging over and it nicked some leaves and small twigs. Goodbye prop! Shattered it

Reactions: Dounin Front
They don't change anything other than looks. Even DJI confirms this. However, if you nick one it's more likely to shatter than just become a small nick on the prop.

thats not entirely accurate. the DJI CF reinforced props are more responsive and handle higher winds better.

If it wasn't for my fear of them shattering on hitting something (maybe even a big bug or bird?), I might get another set. Like I read earlier on another thread: "There are only two types of drones, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash" LOL! I can't afford another shattered prop crash!

Reactions: Dounin Front
If it wasn't for my fear of them shattering on hitting something (maybe even a big bug or bird?), I might get another set. Like I read earlier on another thread: "There are only two types of drones, those that have crashed and those that are going to crash" LOL! I can't afford another shattered prop crash!

it totally depends on your flying style.... like in a car, you drive carefully your less likely to get in an accident. maybe even more so with a phantom if you fly LOS, since there's not nearly as much traffic in the sky as on the road.

Here is a flight of mine with CF props. I did not see any increase in speed, it did respond faster. Now one thing I did not think about, was the CF props using less power? I'll have to try the same flight with plastic OEM props and see if I get any different . To push a P3a to 22184 ft with a single battery I think is pretty good.

i wonder if its more to do with the reduced weight of the CF enhanced props?

it totally depends on your flying style.... like in a car, you drive carefully your less likely to get in an accident. maybe even more so with a phantom if you fly LOS, since there's not nearly as much traffic in the sky as on the road.
Exactly, but weren't there a bunch of software issues a few years back involving Toyota and mechanical issues involving GM?
So, fly right and hope for the best.
BTW: I'm still trying to get to the bottom of what happened to my P3A. I'm a little nervous to fly right now.
Compass Error cause or correlation?

I don't know about post #38.
But here is a repeatable test I made a few minutes ago. All props are DJI. Unbelievable, I know - CF are .2oz heavier per set. Not much difference, but definitely not lighter.

File_001 (1) (600x800).jpg

File_002 (600x800).jpg

thats not entirely accurate. the DJI CF reinforced props are more responsive and handle higher winds better.
More responsive?
Is there any way to measure that or is it just a feeling?
How exactly do they "handle higher winds better" and again, is there some way to measure this?

More responsive?
Is there any way to measure that or is it just a feeling?
How exactly do they "handle higher winds better" and again, is there some way to measure this?

i'm not sure how you would get concrete results unless you had access to a wind tunnel and a highspeed camera ;)

definitely a feeling....

its like trying to measure breaking distance on your car. when driving the same vehicle every day you can notice small anomalies that might be imperceptible to others.

not a scientific test, other than changing blades after each battery. there's enough of a change to be noticeable especially in high wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka