Carbon Fiber Props

Carbon fiber will increase flight time to 1 hour, allow the Phantom to fly 15 miles and at speeds up to 75mph.

Plus, they look cool and usually shatter rather then nick upon impact.

I think this question gets asked once a week.

Man, mine must be defective. I only got 12 miles and speeds at 55 mph. And ya know......... I Cant Drive............... 55!

Interesting.... How did you perceive the AC to be "more responsive", without any physical connection?

The percentage of flex degree on the CF is 6.451 % less than polymeric material props. Therefore, cavitation of the air being forced over the top of the CF blade in connection with concaved belly of the blade produces 25.804 % more velocity. Furthermore, using a speed gun provided by my brother in law, showed a speed increase 1.3 mph faster covering a distance of 75 yards. Simple math actually. No connection needed. Mahalo.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The percentage of flex degree on the CF is 6.451 % less than polymeric material props. Therefore, cavitation of the air being forced over the top of the CF blade in connection with concaved belly of the blade produces 25.804 % more velocity. Furthermore, using a speed gun provided by my brother in law, showed a speed increase 1.3 mph faster covering a distance of 75 yards. Simple math actually. No connection needed. Mahalo.

Mahalo to you too.....
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word "responsive" as that is not covered above, and "velocity" too, as I don't think the CF props travel 25% faster, do they?

None at all, stay away!

whats your reasoning behind this?

I use both carbon and plastic depending on conditions. carbon are more rigid and aircraft is more responsive. plastic props are marginally softer allowing a small amount of "bounce" but giving smoother response.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I had them for a year because they looked cool. But I'm back to the OE props that I've painted black now. I became worried they might be a bit more dangerous being very stiff. I saw or heard no benefit from them. They are no lighter. Stay with the originals and paint if you must.
BTW - I couldn't see any actual fiber in the DJI CF props - must be microfiber, if any at all.

Well I have both CF and stock. CF seem to be a bit more stable in flight and a bit more aggressive in shifting the air which could lead on to a whole load of benefits. I would add that CF props shatter like glass, I touched a small twig a few months back and the prop shattered in to three pieces, the P3P fell and one prop shattered on touch down, due to the the angle I could not get the motors to shut down which resulted in all sorts of problems. Luckily this all happened 3' off the deck so no real damage done. I fly commercialy and around 30 hours a week in full swing, so fairly competent.

Sent from my F3311 using PhantomPilots mobile app

they will cut your skin real nice....

4July 2016 and it didn't hurt till the following day. The cause was a carbon prop exploding on tip over approx 3/4 meters away, never used them since.
8c9d0095178a713731607dbf047e44cf.jpg
7a40bb6f1a62c6ee12d0d65fdf2c08c2.jpg

Well I have both CF and stock. CF seem to be a bit more stable in flight and a bit more aggressive in shifting the air which could lead on to a whole load of benefits. I would add that CF props shatter like glass, I touched a small twig a few months back and the prop shattered in to three pieces, the P3P fell and one prop shattered on touch down, due to the the angle I could not get the motors to shut down which resulted in all sorts of problems. Luckily this all happened 3' off the deck so no real damage done. I fly commercialy and around 30 hours a week in full swing, so fairly competent.

Sent from my F3311 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I commented earlier that DJI CF props look identical to their OE props (except the color). I can see no evidence of CF on the surface, as we often do with CF products.
My question to you is, since you unfortunately shredded a couple, did you notice anything inside of them that might suggest CF?
Mine are now in my toolbox, but I'm still not willing to split one open for inspection.
Please let us know what you found.;)

Last edited:
I commented earlier that DJI CF props look identical to their OE props (except the color) I can see no evidence of CF on the surface, as we often do with CF products.
My question to you, since you unfortunately shredded a couple, is did you notice anything inside of them that might suggest CF?
Mine are now in my toolbox, but I'm still not willing to split one open for inspection.
Please let us know what you found.;)
I have not cut one open but from what I understand is the DJI Carbon Fiber Props are carbon fiber center with a plastic coating.

Cavitation has no relavence to the context or validity of your claims here. Where does the 6.451% claimed flex reduction come from? How do it arrive at 25+% greater velocity? 25% greater velocity of what? To provide any value to the discussion you might attempt to demonstrate the higher stiffness produces greater thrust. In doing so you will need to consider the almost certain additional current demand that will result from the prop running at lower RPM for the same thrust delivery and likley loss of efficiency.

Lets assume the CF props are capable of producing geater thrust at a given RPM. All this will mean is that the flight controller will command the motors to a lower RPM. The AC will still fly within the confines of the paramaters set in the firmware.

Reactions: Numone
I have not cut one open but from what I understand is the DJI Carbon Fiber Props are carbon fiber center with a plastic coating.
From what I understand they contain CF chopped strands that will be distributed through the whole component. They don't have the significant strength and stiffness advantages that are offered by woven material construction.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Cavitation has no relevance to the context or validity of your claims here. Where does the 6.451% claimed flex reduction come from? How do it arrive at 25+% greater velocity? 25% greater velocity of what? To provide any value to the discussion you might attempt to demonstrate the higher stiffness produces greater thrust. In doing so you will need to consider the almost certain additional current demand that will result from the prop running at lower RPM for the same thrust delivery and likley loss of efficiency.

Lets assume the CF props are capable of producing greater thrust at a given RPM. All this will mean is that the flight controller will command the motors to a lower RPM. The AC will still fly within the confines of the parameters set in the firmware.
Exactly - talking utter nonsense....

Well, I had already ordered a set off Amazon by the time the negative responses started. So, I now own a full set of Hausbell CF props. They are carbon fiber, all right. You can see the fabric through the finish. No yellow stripes, that didn't add $9 in value just because they looked cool. The CF props are almost completely inflexible as compared to the soft plastic DJI props. I checked the balance and they are all pretty good. The inflexibility should add to acceleration as the soft props would flex rather than grabbing air. It might effect the speed slightly as the flex would keep them from reaching full speed. Brittle would be a downside as they would shatter rather than bounce off something. I will probably just store them for a time when I need absolute full speed when following something.

Thanks everyone for your insights, they are greatly appreciated.

Are they genuine CF? I just returned a crocodile panerai watch band, they sure did an excellent job of the fake embossing on leather. Looked the real deal but it's not what I paid for.

If the hubs are a different material keep an eye on the bonding, if they aren't look out for cracking.

I would listen carefully while flexing. Cracking sounds are bad.

These props will not allow your AC to fly faster. The flight controller will control the max pitch angle to gaurantee that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT