Can't concentrate flying when children are present

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not about ADHD... I don't flight only for fun just like most people in here. I do it because I love filmmaking great video footage. I do not like people around me, they can be far away and it's fine. But I really hate when they start bothering and specially their kids.
You are in a public place flying an amazing machine. What do you expect? Find a better place to fly from or just fly a simulator if you dislike people so much? Maybe put some signs up "Serious Flying here, leave me alone."

Welcome to the world of flying a camera drone. You're never going to be able to avoid curious people.
Even flying commercially most of the time, people approach and ask the same 20 questions.

The best solution is learning to stay away from walking paths or areas where people are likely to be. I think I do more recon of a takeoff location than the airspace.

Maybe an orange vest will be more appropriate. I don't expect it to solve everything though.

Luckily they never come to ask anything but children usually make noises and I hate it. People don't understand that some of us just don't flight just for fun... I always try to make cinematic quality footage and this require concentration to create the best film.
We
If you are flying in a park and kids come nearby and ask questions, you should answer them. Kids have tons of anxieties and questions, we should educate them properly.
I agree. Do you have acs

I'm the total opposite. I love when people ask questions. I bought a drone because I thought it was such cool technology. Not to share it would defeat the purpose of owning one. We need to share and make people feel at ease with drones. I've only had a few kids ask to fly. I usually put the drone in a safe area and tell them to move the joystick. It puts a smile one their face....and mine as well.

Just checking, this whole conversation is a joke isn't it? I don't want to make a comment stating the obvious!

I love it when I am flying and children and adults alike ask questions. It takes just a few minutes of my time to maybe educate them and turn someone else on to the hobby. I didnt have this opportunity growing up my father was always gone driving a truck putting food in our mouths. Maybe those kids do not have a big brother or father and you can be the one to teach them somethings besides growing up to be a thug gang banger wearing their pants below their butt for all to see. I love what i do and i will not waist the opportunity to not teach them something and ignore them, like trash. You should be very proud of your self talking and thinking the way you do... shame vey simple minded. [emoji19]
I became interested in RC as a kid because someone answered my questions. It has been a great hobby

Reactions: Neon Euc and Phil56
My solution while using the bird as a camera platform is to wear headphones. If I'm flying for fun (which is not often) I don't wear them. Give it a try, also if the headphones happen to have noise cancellation ability it will help with your focus too.

I really hate when I visit a beautiful park with a nice lake view and there are children present. When they see the drone they start making noises and can't concentrate. This is why I prefer to visit any park very early in the morning, when they are not people around that can bother me.
I just filmed an Easter Egg Hunt and an egg toss with over 300 folks (a bunch of kids) present. Very pleasant. And much appreciation from the crowd for my effort (posted for all). I love turning other folks on to the sport. And I sure don't have the corner on beautiful sites. Different strokes for different folks.

My solution while using the bird as a camera platform is to wear headphones. If I'm flying for fun (which is not often) I don't wear them. Give it a try, also if the headphones happen to have noise cancellation ability it will help with your focus too.

I would actually advise against the use of headphones while operating. You need to be able to listen for other aircraft in the area. Helicopters can and will sneak up on you quick with altitudes below 400'.

I would actually advise against the use of headphones while operating. You need to be able to listen for other aircraft in the area. Helicopters can and will sneak up on you quick with altitudes below 400'.

I actually use earbuds, but only one. That way I can hear the app say 'ATTI-mode' or whatever, and still hear approaching aircraft or bystanders. Both can be sneaky when you are trying to concentrate on flying.

I didn't say turn on music. Just cover your ears. And IF you aren't in a remote (Northern California) area where other airborne obstacles will sneak up on you maybe a ear muffler is a bad idea. Not biting my tongue because I'll kneel down and let short bodies see my view screen. Yes, I've been through children and now they have their own. No, I don't think this thread is a joke.

Look, kids can play in any park they feel like... what I really can't stand is people bothering me when I am trying to take some footage. They are not even asking questions, they are making weird noises that I guarantee that will bother most of you. I would love to record it so you guys can listen and have better understanding.
Are you over 80 years old. Maybe I could understand that. I am 71 and still amazed about kid's enthusiasm and interest

Seems that this thread has takien a side rail along the way.
The original post had nothing to do with being friendly to observers. He said the noise made by playing children distract him.
Some people are better at concentration in a noisy environment than others.
I've not flown in a noisy environment, but I am one who cannot concentrate very well with a lot of noise around.

I really hate when I visit a beautiful park with a nice lake view and there are children present. When they see the drone they start making noises and can't concentrate. This is why I prefer to visit any park very early in the morning, when they are not people around that can bother me.

I know what you mean. I went to the local city park to fly my P3A, and before I could get two props on, here they came! It's like they were hiding in the trees. After answering all the usual questions, I took the two props off, packed it up, and left.

Are you over 80 years old. Maybe I could understand that. I am 71 and still amazed about kid's enthusiasm and interest

Kids are great, but I will not fly around them. I ask them to move back, but there are always those that want to get close. Not worth the risk...even though I have never had a problem going straight up...but what if it had a failure and came down on one of those kids?

I didn't say turn on music. Just cover your ears. And IF you aren't in a remote (Northern California) area where other airborne obstacles will sneak up on you maybe a ear muffler is a bad idea. Not biting my tongue because I'll kneel down and let short bodies see my view screen. Yes, I've been through children and now they have their own. No, I don't think this thread is a joke.
Yip I totally agree...was bitting me tounge at ghog ,,he think it a joke,,good to read and write ,,helps with the knowledge factor,,,was early he nearly got earful:):)

Reactions: gsreinke

Wouldn't having ear mufflers still reduce your ability to hear other aircraft especially noise canceling ones like you suggested? Why would you wear those when in a remote area when those places tend to be quieter?

Not biting your tongue? This whole last half of your post confuses me. I didn't say anything about you not letting kids see your screen because you didn't say anything about that and I didn't just assume that you don't. I was just pointing out the part of reducing your hearing. I wasn't trying to attack you or silence you and I'm still not.

Little kids are a pain in the ***? Well, a little 12-year-old punk climbed halfway up a tree a few weeks ago and retrieved my phantom. He's now my best buddy when I fly in that park. And I pay attention to the video feed a **** of a lot more. :smiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka