Can't concentrate flying when children are present

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I hate kids being near is because it makes me feel really nervous, because a Phantom 3 is a REALLY dangerous thing. Usual scenario is that there's no-one around when I launch it, but then, when it''s in the air, kids appear, start asking questions, and I then have the problem of landing it safely. I know it sounds easy enough to tell them to keep well clear, but in practice, it often isn't.

Dogs can be a problem too: they see the thing about 50 feet up, start barking, then just wait for it to get low enough to go after - and it's the dog's safety I worry about, not the Phantom's.

And always there is the feeling at the back of my mind that if anyone even suspects that someone MAY be at risk, even if it's people who've actually come over to watch you, it's your fault and not theirs.

Reactions: macoman
I love it when I am flying and children and adults alike ask questions. It takes just a few minutes of my time to maybe educate them and turn someone else on to the hobby. I didnt have this opportunity growing up my father was always gone driving a truck putting food in our mouths. Maybe those kids do not have a big brother or father and you can be the one to teach them somethings besides growing up to be a thug gang banger wearing their pants below their butt for all to see. I love what i do and i will not waist the opportunity to not teach them something and ignore them, like trash. You should be very proud of your self talking and thinking the way you do... shame vey simple minded. [emoji19]

I know it sounds easy enough to tell them to keep well clear, but in practice, it often isn't.

It really can be easy though. Instead of telling people to keep clear, try telling them something along the lines of "I'm gonna bring it in to land, I'm gonna need you to stand/stay over here". People don't know where the danger area is with something they don't know anything about so it's your duty to inform them where it's safe for them. Bonus Tip: People are a lot more inclined to listen to you if you satisfy their curiosity by showing them a couple of moves and/or let them look at the screen.

Onto everyone else. Honestly, I love answering peoples questions about my P4P and I try to get them interested in getting a UAV. The more people we recruit or show them what a "drone" is actually like, the less likely they'll feel like tighter UAV regulations are needed. How do we ever expect to be accepted by society if we only ever let people get all their perceptions about UAVs from elsewhere like the news or politicians?

If people start talking to me where my focus needs to be solely on the aircraft I'll completely tune them out and when I can I'll ask them what they said. Remember (in order of importance): Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

In all fairness, the original complaint that @macoman made was about the noise that the kids make, making it hard for him to concentrate.

Then he should simply get and use some ear plugs. Or he should take a largish center punch or drift as some call them, and stick it in his ears and have an assistant whack it with a sledge hammer swiftly. Repeat on other ear. Then I believe his complaint of the noise will be abated. Of course I hear it from the noisy-kid-grape-vine that Macoman makes some pretty strange noises of his own, that causes the kids to scream in terror as they run away from him and spurn his attempt to give them candy, hence the kid noises. In the immortal words of a King, Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
One of the things I wasnt expecting, was that every single person would ask me, "how much was that?", I have so many reasons not to answer that. The other questions, "how high does it go? how far away can it go? how fast does it go?" etc, I dont mind talking about, though it is a bit distracting.

Jeez there are some real precious people in here if people can't as you questions while you fly a drone. Not too mention the guy who is complaining about kids in a park, hate too tell you mate but kids like parks

Jeez there are some real precious people in here if people can't as you questions while you fly a drone. Not too mention the guy who is complaining about kids in a park, hate too tell you mate but kids like parks
Nothing wrong with that mate but let kids be kids and I will take my bird very early in the morning when they are sleeping and nobody is in the park. I can get the peace I want and great footage for YouTube.

Nothing wrong with that mate but let kids be kids and I will take my bird very early in the morning when they are sleeping and nobody is in the park. I can get the peace I want and great footage for YouTube.

How great of footage for YouTube are you getting by flying over the same park over and over again?? Do you eat the same things every day too? Do you live in the same town you were born in and grew up in? How about living a little and getting out a little and going different places mate?? Shake it up a little! Expand your horizons!

Reactions: hutch
As I am focused on photography, I do like to fly without distractions. On the other hand, I also appreciate the enthusiasm of by-standers, both young and old. Mostly, I find I need to assure no one is close-by when I land the drone. After landing, I don't mind sharing with others about my interests in drones or showing them video or still images I've taken. We do need to be friendly ambassadors of our fast growing hobby. It helps to counter the negative press we sometimes get.

Reactions: Nighthawk5112
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka