Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

camera and gimbal alternative????

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by locoworks, Aug 8, 2014.

1. locoworks

having read the horror stories of damaged ribbon cables and gimbals falling apart etc etc, I was wondering what off the shelf parts are required to swap out with the stock parts to give the same functionality and FPV using a gopro?? the new go pro 4 specs seem fantastic if the reality matches the guestimates. so that would mean control of tilt and video and still capture, maybe not settings. is it even possible???

or am I waiting to upgrade to a 'phantom 3 vision plus carbon titanium bullet proof xyz' or whatever it will be?

2. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Every day someone asks but the answer is still that it is not possible.

3. locoworks

fair enough, but what aspects can't be achieved?

4. ryanhoelzer

Connection from different gimbal/camera to the quad, app control.

Someone is working on a kit, I think last I read it was a month away.

5. npalen

I believe that you could retrofit a gimbal and GoPro to a Vision or Vision+ and then control the camera functions with the GoPro app or even a GoPro remote if the Hero3+ black is being used. You would have limited range FPV with about a one second lag in my experience. The OSD would not be functional but you can still do a lot of flying and video/photo without OSD. I wouldn't think it would be much different to retrofitting an FC40, for example. A $10 timer attached to the transmitter gives a good clue as to remaining battery time.
    Adding the 7th channel for tilt control is not extremely difficult.