Calibrate every time I fly

The calibration showed successful but the rebar in the concrete was magnetized.
This a different, but very important point too. Many people are not aware that there is metal in sidewalks. It's best to stay clear of all metal when calibrating, taking off, flying, or landing.

Reactions: Meta4
Reactions: JBG
how about this:
Page 44 of the manual says to "Calibrate at every new flight location." Take it as it appears.

how about this:
Page 44 of the manual says to "Calibrate at every new flight location." Take it as it appears.

True but DJI tech support have publicly stated that is not needed every time unless you move 50 or more miles away.

You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about! I am one of the ONLY people here, in this mass of 30000+ people, that talks VERY specifically about the need to not only look at MOD values during preflight, but also looking at the way your bird lifts off as an addition indicator of a flaw in compass calibration. I'm the only person that has used what many would say was an unnecessary calibration to solve several peoples unstable flight. So perhaps you should look better at a persons viewpoint before you toss out uneducated insults!
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about safety and the usefulness of redundancy.

Despite all your years of uniquely devoted service to flying drones, you just said:
If is aint broke... don't screw with it! And especially don't go against everything documented and try to make a policy for the world to follow.
Even if there is a piece of documentation that says recalibration is not necessary to fly the drone, that does not mean it should be the standard operating procedure. If we as drone pilots want to establish drone flying as a responsible hobby and profession, then we SHOULD be promoting the regular calibration of the compass as a responsible pre-flight policy.

I don't calibrate my drone each time but before I start flying I always do a compass calibration on my smart phone so that the direction I am facing on the gps screen matches the terrain. I have a program to calibrate but actually most phones all you need to do is once they are turned on spin them slowly a couple of times in all three axis.

Ok well the reason I herd to calibrate before every flight was to keep the drone from taking off on its own. What is the cause for that.

There are 2 surefire ways to start an argument on the internet:
1) iOS/Android is better/worse
2) Do/Do not calibrate your compass prior to every flight.

There are 2 surefire ways to start an argument on the internet:
1) iOS/Android is better/worse
2) Do/Do not calibrate your compass prior to every flight.
Also the classic --
3) CSC

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Even if there is a piece of documentation that says recalibration is not necessary to fly the drone, that does not mean it should be the standard operating procedure. If we as drone pilots want to establish drone flying as a responsible hobby and profession, then we SHOULD be promoting the regular calibration of the compass as a responsible pre-flight policy.
No.. not at all. We should be promoting the safest action. Which is NOT instilling a process that leads to an increased possibility of error. If you do something once and its successful its successful until you observe something that indicates a compass error. If you do it 100 times you are very likely to have an issue should up more frequently. Then you add to that process all the people that aren't doing a calibration complete, or properly, and you invite a greater variable for failure.

In 3 years I've maybe calibrated my phantoms 7 times in total. Once when they come out of the box and then only if they don't hold position for 10 seconds after take off. You do not need to calibrate it every time because you are running the risk of a bad calibration which will cause you to crash.

Look, guys, if you really want to go ahead and calibrate before each flight, fine. Go ahead if it makes you feel better. Maybe somehow you think you are showing great concern for people animals and property by doing it, fine. You're not but if it makes you feel good do it. No point in arguing about it. Fact is, DJI themselves don't even recommend doing it before every flight, only when flying from new locations and stuff. So, if you want to know if it is necessary: no. If it will make you feel better and sleep better at night, go right ahead. There you go, 'nuff said :)

Reactions: III% Streve
Recalibration on every new flight day and at every new location is redundant, yes, but it is a safety measure that will weed out unnecessary accidents and drone loss over the long run.

No, it's not a safety measure. It's a bad idea. It increases the odds of flying with a bad calibration. There is a very simple criteria for when to calibrate:

- Mod value out of whack (check area first)
- Compass error reported (check area first)
- Circling in flight (also check for other possible causes)
- New equipment added or removed / new firmware installed
- Location change (greater than ~100 miles)
- Significant change in terrain (to / from mountains to flatlands)

If you don't meet any of these criteria, don't calibrate. And if you do, you'd better be 100% sure, you're away from all ferrous material (including on you).

EDIT: Everything you've ever wanted to know about calibration is here: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: III% Streve
Yes, it is best to include looking at your mod values prior to every flight. I have only calibrated my compass once after my original out-of-the-box calibration.

I know there are a lot of people here who feel that auto take off is silly. But I like to use it to see how the bird is going to behave on its own right out of the gate. Or in lieu of that fly up 10 feet let it hover and watch.

Ok well the reason I herd to calibrate before every flight was to keep the drone from taking off on its own. What is the cause for that.

Don't do that. seriously. look in the forums. almostt 99% of flyaways are from people who calibrated every time they fly and got a bad calibration. its better to just look at your mod values before flying. I've only calibrated once since i had my phantom and have no issues

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl