Calibrate every time I fly

I keep seeing that you'll get a bad calibration....but if that was true than it would say so and you'd have to do another calibration. Before the P3 came out and when I had just the 2 the norm was to calibrate anytime you moved location, now people are saying to never do it unless it tells you too. Anyone remember that video of Collin when he was with DJI explaining how to NOT have a fly away? He does state to calibrate the compass every time you change locations.

And then there's this...
Page 44 of the manual says to "Calibrate at every new flight location."

I keep seeing that you'll get a bad calibration....but if that was true than it would say so and you'd have to do another calibration. Before the P3 came out and when I had just the 2 the norm was to calibrate anytime you moved location, now people are saying to never do it unless it tells you too. Anyone remember that video of Collin when he was with DJI explaining how to NOT have a fly away? He does state to calibrate the compass every time you change locations.

And then there's this...
Page 44 of the manual says to "Calibrate at every new flight location."

It also does say to not calibrate near metal and other source of magnetic interference you might not know that its in the new area you're calibrating from.

I keep seeing that you'll get a bad calibration....but if that was true than it would say so and you'd have to do another calibration. Before the P3 came out and when I had just the 2 the norm was to calibrate anytime you moved location, now people are saying to never do it unless it tells you too.
Your app will only tell you that recalibration is necessary when it detects a big errors.
You can have compass errors that the app will not tell you about.

And if you calibrate in a bad magnetic environment, you can get a good calibration (for the area with a distorted magnetic field), that's bad for flying in a normal magnetic environment.

Reactions: ianwood
Oh this boring 'I know it all so let's talk about something else' response! Bully for you if you are au fait with it all. Some are not, some are new to forums and have no idea how to find old threads. They also don't feel confident that an old thread is up to date as things change quickly. If you don't want to read it, go find something else to read instead of being a smart alec!

Gotta love a guy who uses "au fait" correctly, esp when making an excellent point. Just sayin'

Reactions: RobBarron and Oso
All this talk and no one has yet mentioned simply checking the mod value before each each flight. 1400-1600? Have a nice flight. Traveled more than a few dozen miles? Calibrate. And check the mod.

All this talk and no one has yet mentioned simply checking the mod value before each each flight. 1400-1600? Have a nice flight. Traveled more than a few dozen miles? Calibrate. And check the mod.

Checking the mod value alone is not enough. There is a normal range for the mod value but it can also be above or below and still be a good calibration. It can also be right at 1480 and be a totally bad calibration for several reasons.

Reactions: III% Streve
It's as simple as this: if you don't get a compass error...don't calibrate...if you do...do so far from metal, concrete reinforced (which is most damaging for errors in compass)....

images

Don't ask...;)

Reactions: richardseguro
I plan on doing a complete set of Phantom 3 calibrations and MOD evaluations on Monday. FOR SURE. Yes, right after I do the predicted Sept 7th perfected Firmware updates and install the new ready set Go App, if it's available, all before breakfast. Then go fly four consecutive intelligent flight batteries and see what's up... ;-)

Have a Happy flying Labor Day...

RedHotPoker

Seems like one of those debates which never gets resolved or finally defined.
image.jpg

I will continue to fly, while rarely doing that recalibration on my bird.
My Phantom 3 compass values remain stable where ever I fly, locally.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: JohnK
It can also be right at 1480 and be a totally bad calibration for several reasons.

Care to elaborate on the "Several reasons"? This is a pretty important concept, after all. It seems that a new flyer could be discouraged or confused by not only the contradictory info, but the partial info as well on this and other threads.

My routine is to calibrate when I launch more than 10 or so miles away from home, otherwise, since I am in the same geographic area for most ordinary flying, I check the mod before each flight. This seems to be what I have gathered from the consensus of all of the fragments of info from various threads on this topic, and I am always open to and appreciative of new info and ideas.

I plan on doing a complete set of Phantom 3 calibrations and MOD evaluations on Monday. FOR SURE. Yes, right after I do the predicted Sept 7th perfected Firmware updates and install the new ready set Go App, if it's available, all before breakfast. Then go fly four consecutive intelligent flight batteries and see what's up... ;-)

Have a Happy flying Labor Day...

RedHotPoker

There will be at least one person here waiting for a report on the results!!! Good luck and happy flying. See you on Monday at some point, I hope!

Care to elaborate on the "Several reasons"? This is a pretty important concept, after all. It seems that a new flyer could be discouraged or confused by not only the contradictory info, but the partial info as well on this and other threads.

My routine is to calibrate when I launch more than 10 or so miles away from home, otherwise, since I am in the same geographic area for most ordinary flying, I check the mod before each flight. This seems to be what I have gathered from the consensus of all of the fragments of info from various threads on this topic, and I am always open to and appreciative of new info and ideas.

What is mod?

In your sensors menu you will see details relating to the condition/status of the various sensors on board. Each has a mod setting. Compass ideally should be 1400-1600, although DJI mentions a much wider range as the "Safe" range. Tap the second icon from the left at the top of your app, and then look for sensors.

Reactions: mick74

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers