Bye. DJI

The only "grief" I have is the poor video downlink quality making it hard to judge if things are in focus or if the contrast is what I want in the recorded vid.

The MP has a much better video DL but doesn't have the camera of the P4P, alas.

The only "grief" I have is the poor video downlink quality making it hard to judge if things are in focus or if the contrast is what I want in the recorded vid.

The MP has a much better video DL but doesn't have the camera of the P4P, alas.
My video is smooth and excellent quality, no glitches. Not sure why you would have that, unless the tablet or phone is unable to keep up.

Oh, was it hot out there, I have read recently about Apple having issues with high temps?

Last edited:
P4P, all completely up to date, DJI Go 4 4.1.5 too and no problems at all.
Took it out tonight, had a great time, ran down a couple of batteries.
So far, I have purchased, updated everything, everytime it was requested. It all works, no real problems, only required me to recallibrate everything with the last DJi Go 4 update, that also updated the AC.
Maybe I am just lucky?
My experiences are similar to yours. I couldn't be happier with my P4P+.

Reactions: Bakersfield Quad
DJI is in its infancy and will experience some more growing pains. As my Dad used to say: "It's going to get worse before it gets better."

Reactions: macoman
Another more reason to stay with my humble phantom 3 standard. New firmware in this machine works fine. I don't need the new fancy phantom 4 as I read they are having a lot of issues with the new firmware.
The camera is definitely worth the upgrade for the P4P. I had a feeling this new firmware wasn't going to be fun and got shot down on these forums for it from the moderators. My real gripe and the reason I sold my P4P and haven't flown my Yuneec Typhoon G is that the temporary flight restrictions are insane. A 30 mile NFZ! This never happened in the Obama years not that that president decided take up residence a few doors down from my house. Regulations killed this hobby.

Have you tried extenders on the antenna, I have read they help for that and are cheap. I have a pair, but have not needed them yet.

Yesterday, when 500m out and at 10 - 12 m above the ground, the video was crap. When 1000m out but at 50 m height, the video was pretty good. So, I believe the Fresnel zone is the culprit and the P4P video encoding scheme doesn't handle that well.

OTOH, also yesterday, regardless of distance (up to 1200m) and height, the MP video was fine*.

No, I have not tried extenders - but that does prove the point... the MP's encoding scheme is much more robust.

*Other than a brief period of stutter due to "Mobile Device CPU Overload" which was remedied by clearing out apps and turning off background refresh for most apps - (this was my iPhone 6+, not the iPad mentioned above).

P4P, all completely up to date, DJI Go 4 4.1.5 too and no problems at all.
Took it out tonight, had a great time, ran down a couple of batteries.
So far, I have purchased, updated everything, everytime it was requested. It all works, no real problems, only required me to recallibrate everything with the last DJi Go 4 update, that also updated the AC.
Maybe I am just lucky?

Here on the East Coast, it's almost impossible to fly with any DJI aircraft now because of the application software prevents flights near any airports. I fly our units Commercially under part 107, however, if within a 5 mile radius of any airport the DJI App will not allow ANYONE to fly without going through a bunch of steps within their Geo-System (DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access).
So when you're setting up to fly at your location and IF you're lucky enough to have a tablet that has a cell card or if you are near an area with WiFi you will need to type your serial number and click on a couple of check boxes confirming you have permission to fly, if you don't then you're out of luck and need to pack it up and go home.
I've contacted DJI several times and pointed out that those with a part 107 UAV license should be allowed to fly in any Class E Airspace without their scrutiny, the FAA rules allow this but DJI does not... Furthermore, the new DJI software will not allow you to fly within Class D or Class B without answering a bunch of questions online and attaching documentation that you have permission to be in that airspace, this can take several days for them to review before unlocking. Furthermore, many of the Class D airspaces become class E after the tower closes, the DJI software does not recognize this.

A real mess that will soon be corrected with some good competition.

Last edited:
OMG - IF you're close to an airport ready to fly and you dont have an internet connection.

Yup, that might work. So if you have a cell signal you could switch to a smart phone that has the app installed instead of using a large screen tablet.

My point - you shouldn't need to drop to this level if you're flying legally. Part 107 flights should be exempt in all Class E airspace as allowed by the FAA.

Thought about it. Except i bought a apple tablet 300.00. Then to buy a smart phone with a smaller screen. 700.00 + higher cell bill. Was supost to 1500.00 + 80.00 for a cheap tablet.
To late anyway. All sold 1500.00. Lost 700.00 but atleast no contract with a cell provider.

I find this rather ... sad. You say earlier that you're a permanent RV-er. That would tend, I think, to put you in position to video a lot of great things over time with a good drone.

Perhaps the P4P is a little over the top for you and you could consider a Mavic Pro or Spark instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka